1 - 20 of 434 Posts

·
Banned
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Second Tyne tunnel gets approval
BBC NEWS

The current tunnel carries more than 11m vehicles a year

A second road tunnel is to be built under the River Tyne, the government has confirmed.

The news ends a lengthy campaign for another crossing, which could be completed by 2009.

The existing tunnel - opened in 1967 - links North and South Tyneside and carries more than 11m vehicles a year.

The new tunnel, which is likely to cost about £140m, will be built east of the existing site between Jarrow in South Tyneside and Howden in North Tyneside.

The government has said no public cash will be used to fund the project, which will be funded from tolls.

The news was welcomed by the Tyne and Wear Passenger Transport Authority (PTA), which argued for the crossing at a public inquiry.

PTA chairman David Wood said: "This is the news that businesses, regional agencies and drivers have all been waiting for.

Serious problem

"The new Tyne crossing has long been needed to reduce congestion and pollution at the Tyne Tunnel and, to a lesser extent, at the other Tyne crossings.

"We were always confident that the government would approve our application because congestion at the Tyne Tunnel is a serious problem and is holding back the county's economic prospects.

"I would like to thank our advisers, who will now take the project through to the next stage - the appointment of the concessionaire who will finance, design and construct the new tunnel and operate all the tunnels."

The PTA said it would do everything possible to reduce the massive disruption the construction project will cause on both sides of the river.

He added: "A project of this size and complexity cannot be built without having some impact on the lives of those who live close to it.

"However, I want to assure the residents of East Howdon and Jarrow, in particular, that we will do everything in our power to ensure that the impact is kept to a minimum."

A Department of Transport spokesman said: "In accordance with the Transport and Works Act, approval has been given for a second traffic crossing under the River Tyne.

"There will not be any government money involved in this and it is now up to regeneration agencies and others to fund it and get it built."

·
Rock Lord
12,957 Posts
I love the line - "no public cash will be available for the project",

that's unlike our government when it comes to a transport project. Although I have no problems with tolls, I would like to know what transport projects they do spend "public cash" on.

·
Registered
11,760 Posts
I fully approve the building of this tunnel but i wish the government would be more supportive of a few tram system aswell.

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Well if no publc cash is being spent on this then that means they have more to spend on an upgrade and extension to the metro..... fat chance!

·
The Legend
13,172 Posts
Has anyone got any information on this?, you never seem to hear anything about it.

Shame that guy who lived in Cramlington (he had no right to object to the tunnel being built if he lived in Cramlinton) objected to the tunnel, it could of been built by now, now we have to wait untill 2011/2012.

Yes I brought another thread back form the dead, anyone got a problem with that?

S

·
0 Posts
The second tunnel is coming along nicely, plenty of work going on at both ends - won't be long before it starts to take shape I reckon.

·
Put it in your mouth
7,110 Posts
I'm amazed at how long it's taken for this tunnel to move from idea to construction. It seems like it's been proposed for ever.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I hope the new barriers arent like the ones down here now. They replaced the barriers in Portsmouth with new ones about 2 months ago and they dont like tickets with even the slightest crease in them. The old ones would take your ticket if you screwed the bastard up, with these ones you need to take a fucking travel iron with you.
I may be wrong but I think the original Tyne Tunnel has got the same barriers to this day that it had when it opened in the 1960's! Like I say I might be wrong on this but they are ok I guess apart from them breaking down very often.

Hopefully the new tunnel will have a good new design toll booths.

S

·
0 Posts
Skybar

Welcome to Newcastle where EVERY contstruction project takes an absolute ice age.

:no:
Eh?

Firstly it's not in Newcastle.

And secondly it's making good progress, this may have been talked about for ages but it's only been on the drawing board for a short while. Feels like only yesterday they were only just investigating it's feasibility.

The tunnel hasn't been under construction for long and already it's taking shape.

Thirdly which developments in Newcastle have taken an absolute ice age?

You do realise major infrastructure projects take time don't you?

Or do you just expect them to appear from thin air?

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Eh?

Firstly it's not in Newcastle.
Must we have this debate again about North Tyneside and Newcastle being anything other than 2 boroughs of the same city? This new Tunnel is LESS THAN 2 miles from the boundary of the 'city of Newcastle-Upon-Tyne'.

And secondly it's making good progress, this may have been talked about for ages but it's only been on the drawing board for a short while. Feels like only yesterday they were only just investigating it's feasibility

The tunnel hasn't been under construction for long and already it's taking shape..
I never said anything about the construction other than developments take and Ice age, Im talking from first thought to completion.

Thirdly which developments in Newcastle have taken an absolute ice age?
Pilgrim Street????, Science City?

You do realise major infrastructure projects take time don't you?

Or do you just expect them to appear from thin air?
Come on, now you are just being silly, there has been an obvious need for a second tunnel long before serious proposals were made. If this particular problem existed in Manchester or Birmingham or London for example Id put money on it being sorted out infinitely faster than it has been up here.

S

·
0 Posts
Must we have this debate again about North Tyneside and Newcastle being anything other than 2 boroughs of the same city? This new Tunnel is LESS THAN 2 miles from the boundary of the 'city of Newcastle-Upon-Tyne'.
The debate will continue for as long as there's a debate to be had.

I never said anything about the construction other than developments take and Ice age, Im talking from first thought to completion.
Anybody can think of something, it's when it first became a serious proposal you start from.

Pilgrim Street????, Science City?
What about them?

Come on, now you are just being silly, there has been an obvious need for a second tunnel long before serious proposals were made. If this particular problem existed in Manchester or Birmingham or London for example Id put money on it being sorted out infinitely faster than it has been up here.
You'd lose your money then, London has needed crossrail for a long time, Birmingham has needed New Street re-built for a long time.........they still haven't happened.

S

·
0 Posts
No you didn't, your answers were bollocks and now you're just using terms like 'lol' because you've nothing else to say. You claimed Newcastle has some sort of unique problem in getting major projects built but in truth it's no worse then anywhere else. The pace of the quayside redevelopment from what it used to be to what it is today is an amazing transformation. The city has changed so much in such a short space of time and yet you think these things take an ice age.

·
Urban Environmentalist
1,661 Posts
I think the 'ice-age' started with the Lib-Dem council... Too frightened to do anything at the risk of upsetting anyone. Maybe we need our labour majority back to bring about a thaw!

·
Urban Environmentalist
1,661 Posts
Although as mentioned the Tyne Tunnel is NTC, not Newcastle. Anyway a bit of research will tell you why it took so long, there were environmental concerns and a massive group of local residents who made sure the approval process dragged on as long as possible by appealing every decision.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
No you didn't, your answers were bollocks and now you're just using terms like 'lol' because you've nothing else to say. You claimed Newcastle has some sort of unique problem in getting major projects built but in truth it's no worse then anywhere else. The pace of the quayside redevelopment from what it used to be to what it is today is an amazing transformation. The city has changed so much in such a short space of time and yet you think these things take an ice age.
Are you for real???

How exactly were my answers bollocks?, your replys to my answers were laughable at best.

You wanted examples of developments that are taking an ice age in Newcastle and I gave you them. Pilgrim Street and Science City, there you go two massive developments that are taking a ice age, Pilgrim street probably still wont be developed 10 years from now taking the time wasted on that area of the city to over a quarter of a century whereas similar sites in other cities for example Liverpool One have been completed in a blink of an eye by comparison.

S

·
0 Posts
two massive developments

There you go, you said it yourself - two massive developments and you're whinging that they're taking a long time ffs.

Now that's laughable.

There has been plenty of developments in and around Newcastle which have transformed the city in such a short space of time but you'd rather concentrate on what you perceive to be negatives.

Christ man, try appreciating the many positives you ungrateful sod - many places would kill for what Newcastle has got. We live in a region which seems to be stuck in the 80's in many places and yet Newcastle has moved forward at an alarming pace.

Try appreciating that you whinging half wit.

1 - 20 of 434 Posts