SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thought the biggest development in Tysons deserved a thread here.

Website

InsideNova Story

Rendering from the article linked above

Capital One Center is an in-progress mixed use development in Tysons, VA. There are currently two completed office buildings, with another nine planned or under construction on a 30 acre parcel. The first office building is 205 feet tall and was built almost twenty years ago, and the second building is the well-known headquarters building, tallest in the DC area, that finished in 2018.

The two existing buildings pictured below are probably familiar to beltway travelers, but the county government just approved a third 305ft tall office tower along I-495.

The newly-approved office tower will be built just to the left of the 470 ft tall headquarters building.

The central block of the neighborhood is already under construction. It includes a Wegmans and a performing arts center.

Rendering of the performing arts venue currently under construction. Image from Capital One.

The main building on the block is topped by a sky park and a 26-28 story hotel, "The Watermark."

The Wegmans is supposed to open in a few months, with the hotel and Capital One Hall to come next year.

The next office building (under construction above, rendered below) is set to be completed in 2023. The planned height is 410 feet, which would make it the second-tallest occupied building within the beltway.

Future development plans include two additional >375ft towers on top of the sky park, and four more towers near the metro station ranging in height from 225 to 365 feet tall.

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
Awesome thread. All that development will fit nicely around their corporate headquarters which topped out at 470 feet. Couple that with the Iconic tower on the other side of the beltway topping out at 600 ft, will make the skyline unrecognizable 10 years from now.

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
By the way, that is one hell of a conceptual rendering.

·
Brian
2,035 Posts
Awesome thread. All that development will fit nicely around their corporate headquarters which topped out at 470 feet. Couple that with the Iconic tower on the other side of the beltway topping out at 600 ft, will make the skyline unrecognizable 10 years from now.
I wonder if they'll ever be able to urbanize it. I love what they're doing and it is 100xs better than what it was even 5 years ago, but it seems like it'll just be a cluster of "town centers". It has much more of a North Bethesda/Rockville (obviously with much more height) feel than say the R & B corridor.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I wonder if they'll ever be able to urbanize it. I love what they're doing and it is 100xs better than what it was even 5 years ago, but it seems like it'll just be a cluster of "town centers". It has much more of a North Bethesda/Rockville (obviously with much more height) feel than say the R & B corridor.
I think the direction Tysons is going is to become the Buckhead of the D.C. area.

Many similarities between the two. both are becoming mini-cities set off from a nearby downtown of a major city. both have a major highway running through the middle and a major rail transit stop. both are similar in size and have a huge upscale shopping mall located there. both are locations for corporate headquarters.

Tysons is behind Buckhead in vertical development, but over the next 10 years it should catch up and look like a twin.

Buckhead

Tysons

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I believe the tower where Wegmans will be located is a residential tower, not the Watermark Hotel.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Here is a link to county's staff report.

Page 13 has a building tabulation that shows the proposed use for building 6 as 340,000 square feet of hotel. It is now the only approved hotel use on the campus, so it must be, by default, the Watermark Hotel. Note that this is a recent change that swaps the other planned hotel for an office building.

Some promotions materials I received describe the hotel as having "residential-style" suites so it is probably something similar to an extended stay hotel (such as Residence Inn or Homewood Suites).

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Thanks for the information.

Now I have read:
1. Building 6 will be all residential.
2. Building 6 will be all hotel.
3. Building 6 will be hotel and residential.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

This page has a neat diagram that shows what will be inside the performance hall building.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The Wegmans opens in three weeks.

The exterior of the building from the Wegmans side looks practically complete. The hotel, sky park, and Capital One Hall which share the building are still scheduled to open next year.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

1 - 15 of 15 Posts