Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
55,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A new tower is planned for burgeoning Tyson's Corner Virginia, outside Washington D.C.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fairfax approves Capital One HQ nearly as tall as the Washington Monument

In the fall of 2012 Capital One received approval to build a new headquarters on its Tysons Corner campus, on the doorstep of one of the new Silver Line stations. It was one of the first companies to get a project approved under Fairfax County’s plan for a new, urban Tysons.

Then the financial giant decided the building it had designed wasn’t big enough.

So Capital One, led by chairman, president and chief executive Richard D. Fairbank, drew up the tallest commercial building in the Washington area. At 470 feet, it would be the second tallest structure in the area, behind only the Washington Monument (555 feet).

The Fairfax County Board of Supervisors approved the project Tuesday evening, with minimal fanfare.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...hq-nearly-as-tall-as-the-washington-monument/

·
Illuminati Leader
6,057 Posts
Renders don't usually show other buildings, unless they share the same developer (ala 30 Park Place showing up in WTC renders). Hell, there's renders that put a supertall in farmland even though they are in highly dense urban areas.

·
Let's Revive our Cities
2,615 Posts
I would like to see a site plan for this one. Tysons Corner is undergoing a $20+ Billion transformation over two decades from suburban office park to a proper city with smaller, more pedestrian friendly blocks. Will this be part of the problem or the solution?

·
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
55,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I would like to see a site plan for this one. Tysons Corner is undergoing a $20+ Billion transformation over two decades from suburban office park to a proper city with smaller, more pedestrian friendly blocks. Will this be part of the problem or the solution?
One noteworthy chunk is Tysons Central:

Tysons Central (max development option, 2m sq. ft.)

Tysons Central Aerial View by fairfaxcounty, on Flickr

Tysons Central Elevation by fairfaxcounty, on Flickr

Tysons Central will be sited at the point of highest natural elevation in Tysons. For this reason, Fairfax County's land use plan calls for the tallest buildings to be located in this area, helping to create a varied, distinctly urban skyline for Tysons. This drawing shows the site's elevation. The highest point--the U.S. Army telecommunications tower (shown on left)--is at 498 feet in elevation, and the lowest point is at the Greensboro Metro station (shown on right) at 465 feet in elevation. Tysons Central creates a cohesive neighborhood on a steep site.

Tysons Central: Metro Station View by fairfaxcounty, on Flickr

Tysons Central Street View by fairfaxcounty, on Flickr

Tysons Central: Street View by fairfaxcounty, on Flickr

Tysons Central Site Plan by fairfaxcounty, on Flickr

Six buildings are included in Tysons Central, which is located along Route 7 near the Chain Bridge Road interchange. Today, the site is home to 1- to 2-story retail stores, as well as Clyde's restaurant. Developers NV Commercial submitted a final development plan for building "F," an up to 400-foot tall, 414 unit apartment building.

Another is Tysons West:

Tysons West High Rise Building by fairfaxcounty, on Flickr

Tysons West High Rise Building Entry by fairfaxcounty, on Flickr

Low Rise Residential at Tysons West by fairfaxcounty, on Flickr

Tysons West Master Plan by fairfaxcounty, on Flickr

Another is The Commons

The Commons: South View by fairfaxcounty, on Flickr

The Commons by fairfaxcounty, on Flickr

The Commons: East View by fairfaxcounty, on Flickr

Commons View Down Colshire Meadow Drive by fairfaxcounty, on Flickr

Overview New Development, The Commons by fairfaxcounty, on Flickr

The Commons: Site Location by fairfaxcounty, on Flickr

Then there's Spring Hill Station

Spring Hill Station Conceptual Ilustration Neighborhood 2 by fairfaxcounty, on Flickr

Spring Hill Station Conceptual Illustration Neighborhood 1 by fairfaxcounty, on Flickr

Spring Hill Station Neighborhood 2 Street View by fairfaxcounty, on Flickr

And Arbor Row

Arbor Row Block E by fairfaxcounty, on Flickr

Arbor Row Block A by fairfaxcounty, on Flickr

Arbor Row Block F by fairfaxcounty, on Flickr

Arbor Row Location by fairfaxcounty, on Flickr

Arbor Row Proposed Development by fairfaxcounty, on Flickr

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
Please Desertpunk:), Our Great SSC Update Friendly Family North American Cities Moderator and Great City Photos and Skylines Forums Friend !!:banana:
I'm just suggesting , I know you can change Titles to theThreads here, But This is the Only Thread in the Proposed Highrise Forum that really should have Washington DC at the beginning Please, I know I might be wrong again , you already know me, But I really didn't know this Huge Project was in okay Wrong Again here , I'm just crazy, Okay Outside Washington DC. :nuts:
Thanks again for your great Update Information, I read your Posts all the time and " Like " all of them , Thanks Desertpunk !!:cheers:

A new tower is planned for burgeoning Tyson's Corner Virginia, outside Washington D.C.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
Please Desertpunk:), Our Great SSC Update Friendly Family North American Cities Moderator and Great City Photos and Skylines Forums Friend !!:banana:
I'm just suggesting , I know you can change Titles to theThreads here, But This is the Only Thread in the Proposed Highrise Forum that really should have Washington DC at the beginning Please, I know I might be wrong again , you already know me, But I really didn't know this Huge Project was in okay Wrong Again here , I'm just crazy, Okay Outside Washington DC. :nuts:
Thanks again for your great Update Information, I read your Posts all the time and " Like " all of them , Thanks Desertpunk !!:cheers:
Chuck,

if skyscrapers were allowed in DC, they would have multiple 700', 800' and 900' towers and quite possibly a 1000 footer as well. The people in DC are dead set against skyscrapers in the city. Tysons Corner, VA and Rockville, MD are the only cities within the metro area that have the potential for anything close to 500'. I do not envision anything taller than 500' in that area in my lifetime if not ever.

·
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
55,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ground broken for region's 2nd tallest building

TYSONS CORNER, Va. -- Construction officially began Monday on the first of a dozen planned high-rises in Tysons Corner - a project that officials say will boost the region's economy and help transform this corner of Fairfax County.

Ground was broken for Capital One bank's planned 470-foot-high tower -- the first structure that will go up on the 26-acre parcel, a stone's throw from Metro's new McLean Silver Line station. The tower will be erected next to Capital One's headquarters building.

"This building is going to be the second tallest building next to the Washington Monument in the whole region," says Virginia Sen. Mark Warner.

Warner, Gov. Terry McAuliffe and other leaders plunged silver-colored spades into clay dirt to mark the ceremonial start of construction of the 31-story bank tower.

McAuliffe foresees the development having a dramatic impact on the state's economy.

"This is magnificent, the new jobs that will be created, the new economic activity...this is going to transform the entire Tyson's community," McAullife says.

[...]
Read more: http://www.wtop.com/41/3744480/Ground-broken-for-regions-2nd-tallest-building#ixzz3JahOPGAc

·
403 Posts
Does anyone know exactly where this will be built? I saw a giant hole in the ground when I rode the silver line yesterday, but with so much development going on in the region I'm not sure if that was the site of the future tallest building in the DC area.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts