Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 180 Posts

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[more]

Merseytravel, the local transport consortium, has bought the U-534 sub and it will sit at the Woodside Ferry Terminal as a tourist attraction.

·
Scousish
6,847 Posts
That's great news, we need much more maritime history on display on both sides of the Mersey, I'd certainly make the trip to see it.

·
sjwmoore
1,382 Posts
theres not that many intact(ish) U Boats around, so some fuss should be made over it. I drove past it today, looks rather forlorn,looks like its waiting for the scrap man. but thats largely due to where it is- i think its more poignant as a kind of war memorial if you like in its present state rather than repainted and polished. Liverpool should have a massive "Battle of the Atlantic" museum, one of historys most significant events. I did enjoy the Western Approaches HQ museum, but it was obviously not funded by anyone and quite ameteur, but fascinating nonetheless. There are tons of "Battle of Britain" museums, but little to do with the convoys. A shame.

·
Liverpool + Urmston
7,290 Posts
theres not that many intact(ish) U Boats around, so some fuss should be made over it. I drove past it today, looks rather forlorn,looks like its waiting for the scrap man. but thats largely due to where it is- i think its more poignant as a kind of war memorial if you like in its present state rather than repainted and polished. Liverpool should have a massive "Battle of the Atlantic" museum, one of historys most significant events. .
The DP did say that the plan was to cut the boat into 3 sections with 2 viewing platforms with glazed walls between the sections so people could view the "guts" of the boat. Should be a wonderful attraction for Woodside.

Liverpool must get HMS Whimbrel moored in Canning along with the Captain Johnny Walker statue, that would be a good start ,also a section of the new Museum of Liverpool could be dedicated to the Battle of the Atlantic.

·
Banned
15,506 Posts
^^That's an excellent point, Woody. I hope they are clued up enough to do it. The Battle of the Atlantic is important enough, not just for Liverpool's, but rest of the UK's the the world's history. It should get a big f- off room in new museum.

·
Scousish
6,847 Posts
Glad something's being done, but it's a shame they have to cut it into three bits to move it...
But not if they intend to keep the boat in three sections so that people can view the cross sections.

This reminds me, if anyone hasn't seen Wolfgang Petersen's 1981 WWII classic about the fate of a German U2 boat crew, Das Boot, consider that your mission for this weekend!

·
Banned
3,318 Posts
I'm reading Das Boot as we speak. Great book.

I congratulate Merseytravel for this. Apart from showing great respect to maritime history and a bit of philanthropy towards the boat, it also shows clever forward planning.

When Woodside comes back into the fore with the Hamilton quater/Woodside hotel regeneration the U-Boat visitors centre and the ferry's will be a massive driver for the mini-economy of that part of town.

I can see that area being a really great addition to the Mersey Waterfront leisure trade.

Good move in my opinion.

·
Liverpool + Urmston
7,290 Posts

I congratulate Merseytravel for this. Apart from showing great respect to maritime history and a bit of philanthropy towards the boat, it also shows clever forward planning.

When Woodside comes back into the fore with the Hamilton quater/Woodside hotel regeneration the U-Boat visitors centre and the ferry's will be a massive driver for the mini-economy of that part of town.

I can see that area being a really great addition to the Mersey Waterfront leisure trade.

Good move in my opinion.
Agree, excellent move by Merseytravel, after "Spaceport" at Seacombe Ferry it was logical for them to attract the "punters" into hoping off at Woodside.
Now for Phase 3, new pier at New Brighton and make this a ferry stop on the River Explorer programme. How about Phase 4, run the ferry boats out to "the bar" to view the wind farm.

The u-boat is being cut into 3 sections ,not just for transport reasons but to open up the boat so people of all ages can view the interior. Due to Health and safety considerations internal viewing would have retricted the people able to see the internal workings had it remained intact.

·
800th birthday in 2007
4,192 Posts
Sounds like a good future attraction, but who owns the submarine, i thought it was Danish owned, but lent to the museum. If Merseytravel will be paying for this then i hope it will be a permanent attraction.

A number of these attractions at all the ferry stops should help increase passenger numbers.

·
Registered
195 Posts
But not if they intend to keep the boat in three sections so that people can view the cross sections.
But I wonder if this is only because cutting it up would make it cheaper to move? Whatever, I think it's better as one piece, but to be fair to what you say, it's not like they can easily arrange tours on it anymore.

I think it's a shame Liverpool, once the centre of the World's shipping, doesn't have a big exhibit of ships. Yes, we have the Maritime Museum (which I really like), but the great thing about the Wallasey museum was that you could go on the boats. The U-boat was fantastic - how often do you get an opportunity to go inside a genuine WW2 submarine?

But anyway, for those who didn't make the tour, here are a few pictures from January 2006. Sorry if they're a bit rubbish - photos were banned, but the guide said he'd turn a bit of a blind eye as it was only a week or two before they closed down.

·
Banned
3,318 Posts
Now for Phase 3, new pier at New Brighton and make this a ferry stop on the River Explorer programme.

This would be amazing and i've been calling out for it for some time now. On the original plans Neptune put out for New Brighton there was a Pier and I believe a ferry service from there would have been a massive attraction for New brighton and brought much cross river leisure traffic.

Unfortunately complete insanity took hold of the people of New brighton and as a result of the NIMBY brigade £75 million pounds worth of investment was knocked back.

Absolute lunacy in my opinion.

The latest news is that the plans for New Brighton are going to be dramatically scaled back in the redesign. If the Pier gets shelved who could blame Neptune.

Personally if I was them i'd tell the Wirral to stuff it and leave the place a shithole for decades to come as an example....but then i'm a hard faced get!

·
3,362 Posts
Letter from yesterdays DP, have to agree with this, chopping up the U-Boat into 3 chunks is just wrong and all to allow a limited view inside WTF is that about??. As the writer says HMS Whimbrel and U534 together in Canning Dock would look very dramatic and be a fitting tribute to those who served on both sides.

"Vessel vandalism

THE proposal (Daily Post, June 27) to cut U534 into three pieces so tourists can peep inside through the open ends would amount to vandalism if carried through. The vessel would lose its integrity, literally, and become just three lumps of steel sitting side by side, without form or scale.

The strong visual menace presented by a U-boat would be irretrievably lost.

Visitors looking through the glassed-in ends would see little beyond a few metres – the hull of a submarine being divided by several bulkheads with only small watertight interconnecting doors.

The organising committee managing the restoration of HMS Whimbrel as Britain’s Battle of the Atlantic memorial, (www. hmswhimbrel.org), led by Vice Admiral Michael Gretton, will be horrified when they learn of the fate awaiting U534.

They plan to return Whimbrel to Liverpool, her war-time home port, by the end of 2008 and envisage Whimbrel and U534 side by side in Canning Dock.

The two vessels together (hunter and hunted!) would be a particularly poignant reminder of the critical six-year battle in which Liverpool played such a key role.

The proponents of the carve-up fail to see this.

The preservation and placing of U534 alongside HMS Whimbrel would substantially increase the significance attached to the latter’s preservation in the city and, of course, the attraction to visitors.

I trust that the misguided scheme will be stopped in its tracks before it is too late.

R A Hall, L16"

·
Liverpool + Urmston
7,290 Posts
The good news is that this boat is staying on the river, and to place it next to HMS Whimbrel would be just perfect. Merseytravel must be congratulated in saving this relic,but I agree with you and others that it should be in Canning Dock

·
Registered
195 Posts
Yes, definitely in Canning Dock! The U-boats played such an important role for Germany in the Battle of the Atlantic - we should have that thing on display where everyone can see it!

If it's cut up, tours will never be possible again. There are some really interesting features in there, and it gives you a good idea of what it must have been like for the brave seamen that lived in it.

1 - 20 of 180 Posts