545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
wow..!!

Brisbane CBD's new underground station revealed
TONY MOORE
July 13, 2010 - 12:19PM
Be the first to comment

Next stop: Albert Street
Tour the proposed new underground railway station at Albert Street in Brisbane CBD. Vision supplied by Queensland Government
Video feedbackVideo settings
The Brisbane CBD's new underground rail station will be on Albert Street.

Premier Anna Bligh is set to announce the new station - the city's first in 100 years - this afternoon.

The underground rail line will connect the south of the CBD with a new station at Woolloongabba and an expanded Roma Street station.

The new rail line would be constructed deep below the city streets.
It will then go towards the Exhibition Station, at Bowen Hills, which is set for a revamp.

The Albert Street station will have an entrance close to the Botanical Gardens and initial plans show it running under Albert Street for several city blocks to Elizabeth Street.

Ms Bligh said the favoured route would be a "game changer" for rail travel in Brisbane.

"A station in Albert Street will provide a link directly to the heart of the CBD and make travelling to popular destinations such as the Queen Street Mall, the Botanic Gardens and QUT Gardens Point a lot easier," Ms Bligh said.

"It will be part of a project that will move 120,000 people in the morning peak into and out of the city.

"That's the equivalent of a 30-lane motorway right through the city."

Brisbane's $8.2 billion Cross River Rail Project is designed to build a second river crossing for rail services running north to south.

The city' only current river crossing for trains, the Merivale Bridge at South Brisbane, will be over capacity by 2016.

The study team had been considering two other possible routes, under Edward Street to Central Station and under George Street to Roma Street.

But feedback from city workers, commuters, students and technical studies had put the Albert Street station ahead, Ms Bligh said.

"One of the most exciting features of the proposed new station is the potential for rejuvenation of the southern part of the CBD," she said.

"Just imagine it - below the surface is a bustling train station integrated with a mix of retail and other commercial activities.

"Above the surface is a new place for the people - a mix of shops, cafes and public space - the new must-visit destination for people travelling to the CBD."

Other new rail stations are planned for Woolloongabba - where the State Government recently sold the Sunmap Centre and Go Print site - and at the new Boggo Road Urban Village site. Commuters will be able to link to the South East and Eastern busways.

An underground station at Boggo Road would let commuters link with the existing Park Road rail station and the Boggo Road and Eastern busways.

The Federal Government is providing $20 million and the Queensland Government $5 million towards the current feasibility study into the underground network.

"We will continue to work with the Federal Government and the private sector to see this vital project delivered by 2016 when our studies show it will be needed," Ms Bligh said.

Private sector funding is necessary for the project.

A draft business case will be ready by the end of this year and by mid-2011, the business case and funding proposals will go to both the state and federal governments.

Construction is expected to take about four years.

The Queensland government has already earmarked $14.2 billion for the inner city rail project, including $8.2 billion for this cross-river rail project.

Representatives of the Valley Chamber of Commerce last week questioned Cross River Rail Project director Luke Franzmann on why the rail line would initially go to Fortitude Valley.
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/brisbane-cbds-new-underground-station-revealed-20100713-108l8.html?posted=sucessful#makeComment

·
Registered
165 Posts
can anyone figure out where exactly the station will be. The road that is cutoff is putting me off.

PS. Thats bloody deep. Seriously. 4 escalator rides to get from top to bottom

·
derp
10,274 Posts
can anyone figure out where exactly the station will be. The road that is cutoff is putting me off.

PS. Thats bloody deep. Seriously. 4 escalator rides to get from top to bottom
Albert St & Mary Street appears to be the midpoint according to the map.

I wouldn't pay too much attention to that render - it looks identical to the Epping-Chatswood stations in Sydney which are very deep.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Albert St & Mary Street appears to be the midpoint according to the map.

I wouldn't pay too much attention to that render - it looks identical to the Epping-Chatswood stations in Sydney which are very deep.
So its probably the building that jackpot noodles is in. They are refurbing the outside of it atm.

Also, im not terribly familiar with the area, but wouldnt it be better to integrate with park road station rather then build a new one?

Lets hope we get some quality finishing and the QR doesnt design it :bash:

·
derp
10,274 Posts
Also, im not terribly familiar with the area, but wouldnt it be better to integrate with park road station rather then build a new one?
I assume it is integrated with the existing Park Road station - the platforms would be underground on a different alignment.

·
swing low
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i can't figure out where the station is supposed to be from that video.... at the start when it shows the route of the railway station it seems to be on the cnr of albert and mary st.. but then when it shows the actual station it shows a T-intersection.. and there are none of those on albert st..? maybe the station location in the video is incorrectly shown on george st?

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
I think they've got the sizes of the blocks mixed up in that video. You would have to think that the T-intersection which you can see at the back (about 17-18 seconds in) would have to be the intersection of George and either Mary or Charlotte Streets.

But of course these blocks are longer on the Mary or Charlotte sides than on the Albert or George sides.

In any case, it's probably designed to be clear enough so that it gets your average voter in the outer suburbs happy that the government is spending this money on an inner-city rail line rather than outer suburban rail extensions (as so many courier-mail readers want), but still vague enough that it doesn't cause the inner-city (Labor) voters to have a hissy fit about it's '<insert superlative here> impacts on the <insert emotional adjective here> character of the CBD', whilst still managing to ignore the substantial improvements to sustainability and public transport services which would be provided by the project.

Also interesting in that video is the inclusion of automatic doors on the platforms. Maybe a sign of the possible removal of guards in the future???

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
To me, Albert Street always seemed like the logical answer. If you go down George Street, the station is going to be deeper below street level and it would have to run under the foundations of the Roma Street Station buildings. If you went down Edward Street, the connection to Central is going to be very odd, with this new station below the level of the existing platforms, and seemingly very limited space to get passengers from the existing concourse down, through the platforms to a lower concourse.

Albert Street always was the most logical option because the southern CBD station would be the most central (equal distance to George and Edward Streets), and the connection to Roma Street and the Exhibition loop were always going to be easier.

·
derp
10,274 Posts
I'm struggling to work out exactly how the proposed route integrates with future service patterns.

There seems to have been assumption somewhere that Gold Coast trains will use the new route - if so, does this mean a direct connection with Airport services or with IMU services beyond Caboolture? I assume this has been thought of as part of the design process.

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
^^Well that's what I'm struggling with too. Cleveland, Ipswich and Springfield lines can't use it, leaving just Gold Coast and Beenleigh on the southern side. Now, assuming they leave the existing through-routes as they currently are, this would mean Ferny Grove and the Airport would need to be connected to it. Now, obviously they would want to avoid any at-grade conflicts with movements on other lines, so to connect the CBD line with the Ferny Grove overpass, they need to move the Caboolture/Shornecliffe lines west closer to Bowen Hills so that the CBD line can tunnel underneath them and rise to ground level before the overpass, and then each of these tracks would split, with one joining the Ferny Grove line, and the other connecting onto the Cleveland/Doomben line.

The other problem which seems to arise for me is the amount of excess capacity this seems to leave in the CBD. Routing the GC and Beenleigh lines through the tunnel leaves Platforms 1-4 @ Central for Doomben and Cleveland services (not really necessary). Alternatively, leaving either the Gold Coast or Beenleigh lines on existing tracks with Cleveland, and just routing one of them through the tunnel seems a bit of a waste ($8.3 billion for one train in each direction every 15 minutes doesn't seem all too worth it).

I know the idea is to plan for future extensions to the overall network, but it seems that for a few years to come, there will be significant excess inner city capacity.

Actually, just had a eureka moment, it is possible that they may tinker with some of the track alignments through the CBD so that there is one track, such that the existing situation where Airport, Ferny Grove and Doomben trains diverge from one track to platforms 3 and 4, then converge to one track again, and this is repeated on platforms 1 and 2 (with GC, Beenleigh and Cleveland lines) is adapted that Springfield and Ipswich trains depart from platforms 3 and 4 (with just one track at either end) and Caboolture and Shornecliffe trains depart from platforms 5 and 6 (with one track at either end), leaving the Doomben/Cleveland lines to have platforms one and two, each with their own independent tracks through the CBD. This would maintain 15 minute (minimum) frequencies between Darra and Northgate and provide dedicated tracks for Doomben/Cleveland trains between Cleveland and Bowen Hills.

If I had more time, I would draw these ideas.

But bloody hell, I have no solid idea of how they're going to do it.

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
Lastly, one final idea is that they may simply keep close off either platforms 1 and 2 or platforms 3 and 4 at Central, divert the track pair (with Cleveland and Doomben lines) to the remaining platforms (keeping platforms 5 and 6 as they are--With Ipswich, Springfield, Shorncliffe and Caboolture lines). Then, the access points to those platforms could be used on the future Brisbane Metro or Inner city rail stage 2, as access to new, deeper underground platforms.

·
derp
10,274 Posts
The reason I didn't mention linking to Ferny Grove was that Gold Coast is an interurban service and FG is very much not - it makes no sense to join them. If anything, FG should be through-routed with the Cleveland line or the Beenleigh Line. Beenleigh line would presumably have to remain on the surface corridor otherwise Dutton Park etc. gets no service.

Also, if you fill up the new corridor with both Beenleigh and Gold Coast services you (a) mix long distance and local traffic again and (b) don't have much room for future growth (i.e. any new line will require new inner-city capacity).

Possibly they have in mind that a Parkinson srvice (shudder) will make use of the surface corridor in the future to supplement the Beenleigh service?

I also have an issue with no clear separation between short and long distance services in the inner-urban area, e.g. people will be jumping on a Gold Coast train at the CBD and jumping off at 'gabba or Park Road and thus not utilising the capacity of the Gold Coast trains properly.

All these factors point to the Gold Coast services using the existing line through South Brisbane (with Cleveland trains as the 'locals' on this part) and the Beenleigh Line being routed through the new tunnel.

I hope that made sense, I'm typing as the thoughts spill out XD

·
Registered
333 Posts
I ... have an issue with no clear separation between short and long distance services in the inner-urban area, e.g. people will be jumping on a Gold Coast train at the CBD and jumping off at 'gabba or Park Road and thus not utilising the capacity of the Gold Coast trains properly.
Mind you, most people using the GC line for inner-city trips like that would probably be standing, so such a scenario shouldn't steal seats from Brisbane-GC passengers.

·
derp
10,274 Posts
Mind you, most people using the GC line for inner-city trips like that would probably be standing, so such a scenario shouldn't steal seats from Brisbane-GC passengers.
Not necessarily - typical behaviour here (I used to do it myself when I used them) is to grab a seat if you can, regardless of where you are getting off. Then a longer distance passenger can sit down as the train empties out.

The issue really becomes a problem if extra capacity is required for the inner-urban sections and it means that operationally this capacity has to be provided all the way to the GC.

1 - 20 of 1855 Posts