SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Civilization
2,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
These are pics of the central part of Northstar Mall,
I didn't take pictures in other areas. It's the biggest mall in San Antonio.
Comments are appreciated.

Area around the mall:

·
18,522 Posts
The mall itself looks okay, though nothing special. I have to say that shopping centres in New Zealand tend to look a bit better than that pictured here, which surprised me as I always assumed that America was shopping centre heaven with amazing shopping centres (which I'm sure it actually is, it's just not shown here).

The area around the centre though... Yuck.

Thanks for the pictures though, it was interesting. :)

·
Civilization
2,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The mall itself looks okay, though nothing special. I have to say that shopping centres in New Zealand tend to look a bit better than that pictured here, which surprised me as I always assumed that America was shopping centre heaven with amazing shopping centres (which I'm sure it actually is, it's just not shown here).

The area around the centre though... Yuck.

Thanks for the pictures though, it was interesting :)
Well that's how most malls in the US look like now. We haven't really built any since 2000 according to wikipedia. Everything built now is open air big box retail centers.

Hmm I don't see what is so yucky around the area of the mall, maybe the overpasses? lol

Ahh you're welcome!

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Mall looks ok, but like Svartmetall said, I would have expected something a little flashier. This certainly doesn't look any different or better to the malls here in Sydney.

Those Texas roadside signs though....... :(

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
The mall is ok, I see the US is going crazy over retro and High School Musical as well:lol:

The interchange is huge! Everything outside like the signs are so big and high!

Nice photos as well :)

·
Civilization
2,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mall looks ok, but like Svartmetall said, I would have expected something a little flashier. This certainly doesn't look any different or better to the malls here in Sydney.
Malls aren't really flashy here like they are in Asia or I guess Europe.

Most tend to go for the calm and more luxury style

·
Civilization
2,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
More pics:

·
Gotta lite?
6,045 Posts
Sorry to say, but that mall does look somewhat bland and boring. I'm also not attracted to the area around it as well, sort of exactly the style of urbanity that I don't like (car orientated).

Sorry for the negative remarks, just my opinion.

·
Civilization
2,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry to say, but that mall does look somewhat bland and boring. I'm also not attracted to the area around it as well, sort of exactly the style of urbanity that I don't like (car orientated).

Sorry for the negative remarks, just my opinion.
No problem... it's probably because I didn't take any really take any pictures in the vibrant and busy parts of the mall. Trust me, it's very nice.

Not to mention I'm not a really a good photographer.

·
Premium member
10,018 Posts
The mall looks ok. Nice, convienient and modern. But certainly nothing to write home about.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Saks Fifth Avenue is perhaps my favorite high end department store. Just look at the spacious, almost musuem-like displays of those handbags. Those Chanel and Louis Vuiton vendor shops are also quite nice. Dillards, or another midranger department store, couldn't possibly pull of a merchandise selection like that without looking spartan.

As for the mall's surrounding environment: well that's suburban Texas for you. Quite auto-centric with not quite aesthetically pleasing freeway viaducts.

·
Registered
200 Posts
A number of high-end stores...however, the mall itself looks more like it should contain K-Mart rather than Saks.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts