Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
DistrictDirt
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most people familiar with DC know that the historic U street corridor has undergone a rennaissance. There are tons of new boutiques, cafes, restaurants, and bars that have sprung up recently in addition to old institutions like Ben's Chili Bowl and Bohemian Caverns.

What many people do now know however, is that the area immediatly north of U street, between U and Florida Ave, has become DC's de facto ultra-modern district. Last friday I snapped some photos of some of more eye catching projects:

If anyone's interested, I can tell you the names/addresses of the above projects. There's also tons of new ones that haven't even broken ground yet; if there is interest, I can give a run down of those. :)

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
It's ridiculous how much this area has changed. I love the new architecture, and you can bet the old stuff will stay too. This is one of my favorite parts of the city cuz it still has grit, but it's got an edgier, more modern look to it.

·
Boosting DC's image
192 Posts
Excellent post, District Dirt, on D.C.'s growing modern architecture district. I am really, really looking forward to The Lacey condominium under construction on 11th Street, NW

Some people might not like it, but oh well! It is a radical departure from what people are used to seeing in D.C.

The Lacey DC

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
I feel like I have a good grasp on whether or not I will like something from the design standpoint in the future. Most of the stuff is good b/c while radical for DC, it's still somewhat modest in the grand scheme and that's what DC could benefit from. So much is dependent on the materials used and the scale and the surrounding environment and how the materials and designs themselves age. Most of the stuff in the photos is good since they're not just sitting there by themselves, but there w/ other like stuff.

·
Boosting DC's image
192 Posts
I feel like I have a good grasp on whether or not I will like something from the design standpoint in the future. Most of the stuff is good b/c while radical for DC, it's still somewhat modest in the grand scheme and that's what DC could benefit from. So much is dependent on the materials used and the scale and the surrounding environment and how the materials and designs themselves age. Most of the stuff in the photos is good since they're not just sitting there by themselves, but there w/ other like stuff.
Good points. The materials used are really important and how they age! We'll see! I really enjoy walking around the U Street corridor for its diverse mix of architectural styles all in the same neighbourhood.

·
6,951 Posts
I really like this style. I've always felt that DC's rowhouses resembled those in San Francisco, and these condos give me that same feeling. They appear very similar to the architectural styles of SF, Seattle and others. I also like how these seem to interact with the existing surroundings. Are some of these condos incorporating existing rowhomes? I'll have to check out this area while I'm up here.

·
DistrictDirt
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Excellent post, District Dirt, on D.C.'s growing modern architecture district. I am really, really looking forward to The Lacey condominium under construction on 11th Street, NW

Some people might not like it, but oh well! It is a radical departure from what people are used to seeing in D.C.

The Lacey DC
I'm looking forward to the Lacey too. Its definitely a departure from what people are used to here, but thats a good thing. We're getting closer to some of the architecture in other cities, like the wild stuff in the Northern Liberties neighborhood of Philly.

This one is in the West End, not U Street, but another favorite I'm looking forward to:

·
Boosting DC's image
192 Posts
Oh yes, 22 West..... Another one of my favourites, especially since it will sport a zinc and glass facade. I believe this will be the first one in DC with that type of facade.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
When I moved to DC about 15-20 years ago, most of these areas were either run-down or gutted out shells. It's amazing how much the area has changed. The U Street corridor was somewhat sketchy at best. Florida Avenue? Forget it!

But there were real gems in the grid: bars like State of the Union, and Andalusian Dog. When the Metro stop opened, it seems like the entire area blossomed.

While the change is great, I hope the flavor of the neighborhoods can be maintained. (And I wish I had purchased a couple of these properties when I first moved here...)

·
Registered
777 Posts
Gee. Most people probably couldn't even afford to look at these places. DC is quickly becoming the next Manahattan in terms of cost. If it hasn't reached that point already.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I've been aware to these new places for a while now since I live down the street in Adams Morgan. My girlfriend and I are trying to buy a new place so we've been looking at some of these places like the PN Hoffman places there on 14th (Union Row). I like the architecture and the interiors are nice, but they are super expensive. They want 591k for a 1 bedroom & den and then another 35-40k for parking. Throw in the condo fees and we're looking at $4200/month! And, these prices have come down too. This makes me question the sustainability of urban renewal in DC.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts