SkyscraperCity banner

Do u agree?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Patriotic Emirati
6,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday the minister of labour said that the UAE will change the weekend to Friday and Satuday.

What do u think guys?

·
Registered
521 Posts
are u saying from thursday-friday , to friday-saturday ?

yea, i guess, not much of a difference really, i work 6 days a week anyway , but cool

anything on 2 day weekends being mandatory for private sector as well ??

·
Registered
521 Posts
well it would make sense, this way , it would increase productivity, (increase working our with interntional companies)
I.E. north american + europe + far east , have saturday + sunday weekend,
we have thursday + friday
thats 4 days lost, so we can only do business with them for 3 days a week, changing the weekend, would give us another extra day ,

·
Patriotic Emirati
6,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Funny because in mouratois sp? (Arabic Islamic country) the president decided to change the holiday from friday to sunday and he fired his religious consultant because he refused to give excuses to the public why they changed the weekend from friday to sunday.

·
Registered
32,113 Posts
My weekend is Saturday - Sunday.

·
Patriotic Emirati
6,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Altind_Carnut said:
My weekend is Saturday - Sunday.
maybe because it is in a freezone?

does anyone know how it works? because the insurance and banks sector have only friday as a holiday. while the governmental sector have thursday and friday as a weekend. While others like Dubal for example have weekend as friday and saturday.

·
Banned
1,831 Posts
First of all, they won't get rid of Friday, because Friday is Jummah. Secondly, switching from Thursday, to Saturday is a good move, but I really don't support it. It'll give the UAE govt, banks and other institutions an extra day to interact with the Intl community. As they say in the West, another 'Business Day' :D

Thats my two cents.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Very good idea. Take my word for it. Qatar changed its weekend from thurs-fri to fri-sat about a year ago. First reaction from the region was that Qatar is trying to become westernized and qatar loves jews so they changed their weekend and a bunch of other stupied excuses.

but the real reason is an economic one. As someone had mentioned, you lose four full business days where the local compaines interact with thier international counterparts at full productivity. This way you cut down on the lost days.

Secondly, from a social perspective, have the sat as the last day of the weekend is much better then friday. As kids each and every one of us hated friday the most coz it was homework day, and we had to go to bed early for school. While friday is suppose to be more of a family day and a very important religious day for us muslims. Having this change you'll get the feeling very soon on how ppl just look forward for a friday.

·
Registered
32,113 Posts
smussuw said:
maybe because it is in a freezone?
Actually it is becouse we work in close relations with our other offices in Europe and Far East, so we must be working on Friday.

For our business it will not have any effect becouse the banks still works on Thursday, but the Banks themselve will start the 5 day working week, that they couldn't do before.

However this will be good for the other people working in our office, couse they can share a day off (Saturday) with family, relatives and friends. (I have none of them here :D )

·
Under the Burj
3,491 Posts
:dance:

thank goodness theyve done that. its been a personal beef of mine for a while. :rant:

it makes so much more sense. we used to have friday and saturday off at school, it was great, but then they changed it to thursday friday.

this will be of great benefit to duabi, especialy TECOM and DIFC, friday is usaly a quiet/lax day anyway, so the 4 major working days will be commen and dubai will become far more attractive!

win win win!

·
, , and , Fade to Black.
7,971 Posts
“extra day to interact with the Intl community.”
Good enough reason. I am on a mixed mind on this one

I have got to agree working in Dubai, could not afford to be off for 4 days. To make things happen over the week it was Impossible to take off 4 days. We always had Friday Saturday off from the start.( When i started at least). Well at least of the people working on wider business areas at the company, But then i ended up coming in 6 days a week any way..

But then i think it ok to do both ? As in both systems ? Why do we all need the weekend all off at the same time ? Its crazy if half the community has one and the rest another what the problem ? Staggered Working days have some benefits on the impact on areas of work, traffic and impact on resources ? Family of course have a strong sync for this issues.

Do that many people get 2 days off any way ? So many work 6 days a week. Or just Labours. Nor I am not just talking about professional and business enterprise who are trying to be completive. But think of retail and entertainment all the industry ? How many days do they work. I am sure as Dubai Professional sector grows they will demand and require this. But still i like the idea of both or the choice. Cant see that happening over time is bound to become uniform with the Friday-Saturday.

·
Back in the Sandpit
14,962 Posts
actually if it would be of economic reason i would say they should change to saturday/sunday. that is where the "western" world has its weekend...
but friday is important for religion, so friday/saturday might be the best.

·
, , and , Fade to Black.
7,971 Posts
hmm i not sure anyone should do that idea
friday is to importand !

·
Registered
201 Posts
As kids each and every one of us hated friday the most coz it was homework day, and we had to go to bed early for school. While friday is suppose to be more of a family day and a very important religious day for us muslims. Having this change you'll get the feeling very soon on how ppl just look forward for a friday.

That is soooooooooooooooooo true.

EVERYONE used to hate friday afternoons and nights in school because since students normally leave work until the last minute, it was when everyone had noc choice but to do their homework and studying and getting ready for the start of a new week.

So if this Friday-Saturday weekend applies to all schools and educational institutions, I support it!

·
Registered
32,113 Posts
juiced said:
Egypt has Friday and Sunday off, but no Saturday. Weird
Maybe becouse Saturday is Sabbath for the Israelis.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Really, I think it sjould just stay, its already in all our heads here in the uae, thurs, and fri. Itswould be odd to change it. I say, it should stay thurs, and fri.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts