SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 345 Posts

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
Weren't there plans to turn the building currently there into markets?

Otherwise, I like the look of this one!
Those plans were used by previous owners QIC as an example of a future use of the former Fruit & Produce Exchange (the Turbot Street buildings). While it would have been a nice use, it was probably the wrong location for one really. I believe a similar fresh food market concept is planned for the old Government Printing Office on George Street as part of Queen's Wharf, which is probably a much better location.

I've only just started looking through the plans, but I like what I have seen so far.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Why 62 Ann Street? Is that the old electricity building and part of this proposal?

If so, are they going to make that into accommodation as well?

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
Why 62 Ann Street? Is that the old electricity building and part of this proposal?

The DA is for what appears to be the first stage of an eventual two stage project, and is only for the Turbot Street part of the site to begin with.

However, the plans do alude to a redevelopment of the 62 Ann Street (former Primary Industries Building), and in my opinion, they look more like a knock down and start over redevelopment than adapting the existing building to accommodation. However, until plans for that are submitted, it's hard to know for certain.

·
5,031 Posts

There is a cross-block retail arcade proposed through to Ann St. Image below shows the first stage on the left, as part of the student accommodation development, with an indicative layout for the second stage shown for when the Ann St part of the site is developed in the future (with a "line of tower over" dotted line shown on the plan as a possible option):

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
I have finally gone through the documents for this project, and I have to say I am very impressed with what is being proposed here from a heritage perspective.

The masonry building fronting Turbot Street will be properly restored (QIC rectified structural issues, but didn't do any work beyond that) with original glazed openings to Turbot Street reinstated and shops introduced to the spaces which will do wonders for the streetscape along there. The current extent of the market sheds will be retained as is (after being dismantled during construction), with a number of additional retained columns and half trusses integrated into the future cross block link, which will give the impression that the shed extends further than it does.

A (hopefully) clearer version of the render Peter Jackson posted:

Close up under of the Turbot Street frontage:

Original elevation of the Fruit and Produce Exchange:

Proposed elevation, showing reintroduced glazed openings:

Ground floor layout:

First Floor layout (I am wondering whether having only the stairs to access the upper level tenancies might be an issue on PWD grounds...)

Exploded view of the retained sheds and the additional elements to be reinstated:

Interior render – for reference, this is looking towards Ann Street with your back to the masonry building. The retained sheds are directly above, with the reused columns and half trusses visible down the laneway. The brick arch in the background is actually a mirror intended to reflect the real arch behind you. The mirror will be removed when the path links through to Ann Street when the Primary Industries building is redeveloped.

·
23,969 Posts
I like it. This could have been subject to a really bad proposal, but the plans so far look quite sympathetic.

·
Optimist
7,318 Posts
Looks like a great development, better than what I was thinking might be proposed. Brisbane is going to have some great heritage retail areas in the future.

Reactions: michael_n_

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mirvac has bought the site to develop an office tower

Mirvac to buy Brisbane CBD tower for $65m

Development giant Mirvac has snapped up a medium-rise office building in the centre of Brisbane for $65.1 million from Singapore developer Wee Hur Holdings.

In a notice to the Singapore Stock Exchange, Wee Hur said it had entered into a put and call option to sell a 3690 square metre site on Ann Street - holding the nine-storey, 14,000 sq m Primary Industries Building leased to the Queensland State Government - to Mirvac Projects or its nominee.

Wee Hur said Mirvac would develop a new office building on the site and would make a bonus land payment if the building exceeded 55,000 square metres of office space.

The site forms part of a larger $63 million acquisition made by Wee Hur a year ago when it bought the Primary Industries Building at 62-80 Ann Street and a site behind it at 71-97 Turbot Street covering a total of 5478 sq ms.

Wee Hur said the site would be reconfigured into two lots with the Singaporean developer retaining the smaller 1788 sq m lot on Turbot Street for future development. The sale of the bigger parcel to Mirvac will deliver Wee Hur a tidy after tax gain of nearly $14 million.

The company said the proceeds of the sale would be used for "other developments in Australia".

Read more: http://www.afr.com/real-estate/comm...d-tower-for-65m-20161229-gtjpfl#ixzz4UIxytTY4
Follow us: @FinancialReview on Twitter | financialreview on Facebook

·
Optimist
7,318 Posts
^^ The floor plans for that part of the site posted above do seem to show an office lobby actually. Good outcome for the site I think. Students + Office Workers + Retail will add a lot of life to the immediate area.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Wee Hur said Mirvac would develop a new office building on the site and would make a bonus land payment if the building exceeded 55,000 square metres of office space.
Bonus land payment? Would 55,000 square meters be around 170-180m or so?

I've noted on map :)

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
That's what the article says:

Wee Hur said the site would be reconfigured into two lots with the Singaporean developer retaining the smaller 1788 sq m lot on Turbot Street for future development. The sale of the bigger parcel to Mirvac will deliver Wee Hur a tidy after tax gain of nearly $14 million.

1 - 20 of 345 Posts