SkyscraperCity banner

321 - 340 of 345 Posts

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
Not sure I love the facade on this one... already looks like it's 20 years old.
That still makes it far and away the most modern looking building on that block! Jokes aside, I don't mind the facade. In fact, in some of those photos the facade colours tie in especially well with the State Law Building, which is something I don't mind one bit.

At the end of the day, this was always going to be more filler than standout. It's real impact will be felt more at street level than skyline level.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Does anyone happen to know what has/is going to happen to the white sculptures that were out the front of the old building?

·
Registered
683 Posts
A new office tower promises to create a “modern interpretation” of one of Brisbane’s historic market sites.
Mirvac Group’s 35-level tower at 80 Ann Street will include what it calls a revitalised Brisbane Fruit & Produce Exchange on Turbot Street that will be activated by ground floor retail and public art in 1900sq of public space.

The design improves pedestrian connectivity from Ann Street to Turbot Street through public laneways and thoroughfares, maximising flexibility, permeability, and subtropical layered greenery, creating an urban garden oasis.

Mirvac co-created the vision for the precinct with pre-committed tenant Suncorp which is taking 39,000sq m of the building. Flexible workspace provider Spaces has signed a long-term lease for 6000sq m, securing its third location in Brisbane.

Mirvac co-owns the site with M & G Real Estate and practical completion is scheduled for 2022. The tower is 73 per cent precommitted.

An artist's impression of what the site of the Brisbane Fruit & Produce Exchange on Turbot Street will look like as part of the Mirvac's 80 Ann Street development.
An artist's impression of what the site of the Brisbane Fruit & Produce Exchange on Turbot Street will look like as part of the Mirvac's 80 Ann Street development.
Construction is progressing an average of 250 workers are onsite each day.

Mirvac’s general manager, commercial development, Simon Healy said the ground plane design was porous and pedestrian focused, emphasising collaboration, connectivity and community.

“Reviving the historic, bustling marketplace at Turbot Street and returning it to Brisbane, we have created a modern interpretation of the old fruit and produce exchange, through an urban retail lane, an eat street that provides a place for employees and visitors to meet and connect over food,” he said.

“The lobby has been elevated to Level One of the building, thereby gifting the entire ground floor to the public domain, welcoming the community by creating new shared places and experiences for all.”

Woods Bagot’s associate principal David Lee said the historical relevance of the site has been drawn into the new architecture of the tower, with a striking glass veil referencing the profile of the existing sheds and which wraps around the podium levels.

Busy Turbot Street where the old Fruit & Produce Exchange operated.

Busy Turbot Street where the old Fruit & Produce Exchange operated.
“There is also a focus on enhancing biophilia at the precinct as it will be heavily landscaped with native Australian flora, providing green spaces within the city fabric,” he said.

“Reflecting the site’s history, location, and subtropical climate, we have worked to design a new type of breathable office tower experience that is quintessentially Queensland.”

Inside the Brisbane Fruit & Produce Exchange on Turbot Street.
Inside the Brisbane Fruit & Produce Exchange on Turbot Street.
To foster a sense of community at 80 Ann Street, Mirvac has developed an activation strategy for the building which encompasses activities during construction and into completion through a variety of programmed experiences, events and entertainment.

The program is already underway with a unique public art installation on the hoarding of 80 Ann Street.

*Historic photos have been supplied by Brisbane Markets Arch Martin History Room

·
23,969 Posts
This is excellent and I love the idea, however I suggest you forget the idea that it will be anything like the Vic Markets. It will not, and should not, try to emulate the Vic Markets.

·
Registered
350 Posts
. It will not, and should not, try to emulate the Vic Markets.
You really can't bottle it, I agree. Emulation would be impossible because queen vic wouldn't meet current spec. If you tried to build either south Melbourne, queen vic or even freo markets now, you'd get hit with complicated compliance costs.

That said, a different high end foodie experience, harrods food hall style exists in lots and lots of cities in one form or another, the one in KaDeWe in berlin is (I think) significantly better. So, for the right dollar you can make something foodie, but Queen vic is not a good choice: the deli stalls are hopelessly cramped, the fish and meat sections are supplying a different kind of market, and the stalls out back are not suitable for an Anne st location.

The place to have tried this was the wool stores. They were a pretty crap furniture market at one point, food might have worked better. But, that ship has sailed. West end Davies Park is close to some of what the sheds at Queen vic do, but smaller. Its packed. Im surprised it hasn't bust out of Saturday only.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
I didn't mean a complete replica of Vic Markets. But an essence of Central Market, Vic Market and Freemantle market. I realise the space offered also is not in comparison.

That's why I said Brisbane's version of Vic Markets. But Brisbane does need an indoor fresh food market. I think we are the only capital city without one.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
You really can't bottle it, I agree. Emulation would be impossible because queen vic wouldn't meet current spec. If you tried to build either south Melbourne, queen vic or even freo markets now, you'd get hit with complicated compliance costs.

That said, a different high end foodie experience, harrods food hall style exists in lots and lots of cities in one form or another, the one in KaDeWe in berlin is (I think) significantly better. So, for the right dollar you can make something foodie, but Queen vic is not a good choice: the deli stalls are hopelessly cramped, the fish and meat sections are supplying a different kind of market, and the stalls out back are not suitable for an Anne st location.

The place to have tried this was the wool stores. They were a pretty crap furniture market at one point, food might have worked better. But, that ship has sailed. West end Davies Park is close to some of what the sheds at Queen vic do, but smaller. Its packed. Im surprised it hasn't bust out of Saturday only.
KaDaWe actually has the best food hall in Europe, better than either Harrods (horrids?) or Sainsburys.

·
Queenslander
334 Posts
Going around on street view for the area has made me wonder - do we really still need the Turbot St overpass?

It saves one set of traffic lights but blights the whole area. And I'm someone who is opposed to removing street parking, cars off vic bridge and wants to keep the REX.

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
It's the change in levels that is the issue - Turbot Street sits much higher than Roma Street, so you would need to lower the street as much as the overpass lifts it. With the busway running not too far beneath Roma Street level, I'm not sure if that's feasible.

321 - 340 of 345 Posts