SkyscraperCity banner

341 - 360 of 360 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
I think removing it would be a terrible idea, for the alignment reasons and the traffic flow, it seems nonsensical. But isn't it already 60 years old or so, what is the lifespan of a structure like that?

·
24,272 Posts
I'd be a fan of removing it, but it must be done as part of a significant strategic traffic plan. It can't be done in isolation.

·
Registered
16,540 Posts
I think removing it would be a terrible idea, for the alignment reasons and the traffic flow, it seems nonsensical. But isn't it already 60 years old or so, what is the lifespan of a structure like that?
It's about 50 years old I think. According to this document from DTMR (PDF), bridges now are designed for a nominal design life of 100 years. Assuming that the design life was broadly true in the 1970s (say 70-100 years), I would estimate that it will be good for another 30-50 years at least before either major reconstruction or replacement works are required.

However, removing it could affect other infrastructure (specifically the busway) that will still be well within its design life at that point. That could be the sticking point.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I think if you were to paint the Pullman/Mercure white it would look somewhat more decent, it's either that or demolish it. No in between :ROFLMAO:

80 Ann is such a stunner so far in my opinion, nice and chunky.

·
24,272 Posts
The Mercure and that block just looks so short in that last picture. Amazing!

I take back what I said earlier on the hotel thread. I want someone to consolidate the whole block!

·
Registered
572 Posts
Slightly off topic but wonder whats holding up the development on the old Grosvenor site that
's on that block

·
Registered
16,540 Posts
^^ It was largely a commercial property, and commercial properties often won't go anywhere without a recommitment. It's also tall and rather skinny, which isn't exactly the ideal layout for commercial buildings.

While also keeping the George St facades.
They would likely need to retain more than just the facades on a few of them. The two buildings next to the Grosvenor (Duncalfe & Co and the Duncalfe/Grosvenor extension) are both locally heritage listed and, unlike the Grosvenor itself, are still relatively intact internally. In addition to these two, the Hillsong Theatre (formerly Lyceum/George/Dendy) and the little red building at 366 George Street (Frankie & George Coffee shop, formerly Pie Face - a remnant of a much larger building) I would like to see all retained in full. The buildings on the Turbot Street corner can definitely go and, given their current state, I'd be ok with the terraced shops between the theatre and red building being replaced - they may be old, but they don't actively resemble their previous state, and would likely require a lot of work to do so.

·
24,272 Posts
Yep, and I guess that's why I'm keen for the whole site as you could then integrate the entire buildings along George Street into the towers (likely 2) in behind.

·
Registered
572 Posts
341 - 360 of 360 Posts