SkyscraperCity banner

341 - 346 of 346 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
I think removing it would be a terrible idea, for the alignment reasons and the traffic flow, it seems nonsensical. But isn't it already 60 years old or so, what is the lifespan of a structure like that?

·
23,971 Posts
I'd be a fan of removing it, but it must be done as part of a significant strategic traffic plan. It can't be done in isolation.

·
Registered
16,330 Posts
I think removing it would be a terrible idea, for the alignment reasons and the traffic flow, it seems nonsensical. But isn't it already 60 years old or so, what is the lifespan of a structure like that?
It's about 50 years old I think. According to this document from DTMR (PDF), bridges now are designed for a nominal design life of 100 years. Assuming that the design life was broadly true in the 1970s (say 70-100 years), I would estimate that it will be good for another 30-50 years at least before either major reconstruction or replacement works are required.

However, removing it could affect other infrastructure (specifically the busway) that will still be well within its design life at that point. That could be the sticking point.

341 - 346 of 346 Posts