SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
147-163 Charlotte Street - the place of my employment from 1986 until 2006. I shall be watching this discussion immensely. I started working there just after the main State Health Building opened and then watched Forestry House being built, open in 1988 and then that became our work place too with the three walk ways between the two buildings. Thanks for the posting, sort of sad to see it go, well, change, but onwards and upwards! Cheers!

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
I always wondered when these would get redeveloped. Was always quietly hoping these twins would get replaced by a taller twin towers, like 250m taller.

But this is still a nice outcome, although small part of me is sad to see them go, even though I was never a huge fan of the style.

·
QUEENSLANDER!!!
2,542 Posts
I've always considered these two towers to be some of the ugliest in Brisbane. The attempt to replicate the lower historic building's facade on a modern 60 or 70s building was a massive fail.

We lost some truly ugly buildings in recent years. L Block, Executive Building, DPI building. Now these shockers, plus Roma St to come.

If only QR/Sofitel and Mineral House were on that list too.

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
I've always considered these two towers to be some of the ugliest in Brisbane. The attempt to replicate the lower historic building's facade on a modern 60 or 70s building was a massive fail.
It's an even bigger fail when you remember that these buildings weren't from the 60s or 70s but the 1980s! They look a lot older than they actually are.

We lost some truly ugly buildings in recent years. L Block, Executive Building, DPI building. Now these shockers, plus Roma St to come.

Mineral House and the Rail Centre I would definitely agree with, but I quite like the Sofitel. It's up there with the Parliamentary Annex on my list of 70s era buildings I could see becoming future heritage list entries.

·
Optimist
7,318 Posts
^^ I'm a fan of Sofitel as well, although I think the podium could use an upgrade.

Reactions: nathandavid88

·
Registered
4,255 Posts

Having just seen Darling Harbour Sofitel in person last week I agree, I am not advocating pulling it down but it needs a huge outside renovation. I used to watch it being built in 1983 outside my office window. QR demolished and replace is a nice idea but I doubt it, they have not even started Central Station's tarting up.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts

I always think the QR centre could be turned into Brisbane's answer to the Barbican in London, a big brutalist hotel and plaza area perhaps with apartments, like the Barbican but on a smaller scale.:)

·
Registered
87 Posts
It's an even bigger fail when you remember that these buildings weren't from the 60s or 70s but the 1980s! They look a lot older than they actually are.

Mineral House and the Rail Centre I would definitely agree with, but I quite like the Sofitel. It's up there with the Parliamentary Annex on my list of 70s era buildings I could see becoming future heritage list entries.
I was with you on everything up until Parliamentary Annex lol. Uggghhh, can’t stand it!

·
Registered
435 Posts

And the T & G Building - its hideous!

1 - 20 of 122 Posts