SkyscraperCity banner

201 - 220 of 230 Posts

·
Registered
16,330 Posts
^^ There are two small studio spaces located below street level as well as space for an associated bar. If you flick back a few pages to the floor plans I posted a little while back, I'm pretty sure I made note of them. :)

·
Registered
16,330 Posts
For reference, the two studio spaces previously mentioned. These studios can be joined into one large studio space if required, and there is a window from the Russell Street footpath into the studio, allowing for the display of 'semi-public artwork/performance' in a way.

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
ABC will have a new studio too as the current space meant for them is currently leased for the Arts. It's is likely to be freed up once the new theatre is built.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
I couldn't work out what was meant by studio spaces. Didn't know if it was for very small acts or what. Have a better idea now.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
From memory they were leopard trees anyway, i'm not sorry to see them go, far more suitable streetscape trees been used these days then them.

·
Chip on my shoulder (BBQ)
3,135 Posts
Given the economic Armageddon coming, I wonder if the funding for this will be pulled🙁

·
Registered
683 Posts
Given the economic Armageddon coming, I wonder if the funding for this will be pulled🙁
Not a chance. Contracts were signed months ago. Not only that, I think you will see government increase infrastructure spend to give the economy the kick start it will need after the pandemic is over.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Not a chance. Contracts were signed months ago. Not only that, I think you will see government increase infrastructure spend to give the economy the kick start it will need after the pandemic is over.
Lets hope so, because currently there'll be no investment from private developers for some time you'd think..

·
New Urbanist
5,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #214
During and the great depression, most governments went crazy building infrastructure that they didn't even probably need to stimulate the economy and keep people in work. This would be no different with Queensland infrastructure.

·
Registered
138 Posts
During and the great depression, most governments went crazy building infrastructure that they didn't even probably need to stimulate the economy and keep people in work. This would be no different with Queensland infrastructure.
Infrastructure will be key. There is no doubt.

Investing in the right projects at the right time will help the sector rebuild through the recovery phase. We may see a shift in the types of projects, however, construction works will certainly not slow. It may also be the perfect time to proceed with capital works that would otherwise be disruptive to operations like bringing forward the BCC Resurfacing Program.

It is essential that we look to investments and reforms that will improve productivity and support growth over the long term.

·
Registered
6,332 Posts
With the sharp drop-off in public transport ridership due to the virus and people staying at home (or choosing to drive/taxi/Uber instead of public transport), maybe now is the time to bring forward planned maintanence or other works and get it done while there are less people who would be impacted by needing to take alternative transport (rail replacement buses etc) or catch their transport from an alternative stop.

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Brisbane Times---Construction to start on Brisbane's new theatre as South Bank plan delayed

Construction to start on Brisbane's new theatre as South Bank plan delayed
Lydia Lynch
By Lydia Lynch
May 17, 2020 — 6.20pm

Construction on Brisbane's new 1500-seat theatre is set to begin by the middle of this year despite the release of a $2 million master plan for South Bank being delayed.

In May 2018, Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk announced a new $150 million venue would be built at the Playhouse Green as a new extension of the Queensland Performing Arts Centre at South Bank.

Concept drawings of the theatre were released when architects Blight Rayner + Snøhettain won the bid in May 2019.

Arts Minister Leeanne Enoch said there had been a "strong focus" on health and safety at the site to ensure construction could begin during the coronavirus pandemic.

“Early preparatory work began on the new theatre site at the Playhouse Green in March this year," she said.

“Construction work is planned to commence mid this year, and completion is scheduled for late 2022.

“Economic recovery is a priority and our government has worked closely with [managing contractor] Lendlease to ensure the new theatre project can continue to provide jobs and cashflow for contractors and businesses supporting project delivery during these challenging times."

Once construction is complete, QPAC will become Australia's largest performing arts centre, delivering capacity for an extra 260 performances and 300,000 visitors every year.

Before the outbreak of the coronavirus, more than one million people attended shows at QPAC each year.

While work on the theatre is still set to go ahead, a $2 million master plan to revitalise South Bank has been delayed because of the coronavirus pandemic.

The Palaszczuk government announced plans in late 2018 to give the 30-year-old Brisbane landmark a facelift.

The final plan was set to be released to the public by the end of 2020 but that is now unlikely.

South Bank Corporation CEO Bill Delves said social distancing rules had impacted the "stakeholder and community engagement program" and the timeline for the plan had been "revised".

Professor Delves could not say when the plan was expected to be released.

"In the meantime work continues to review community feedback from our engagement so far, with more than 10,000 pieces of feedback received," he said.

Almost 14 million people visited the Parklands last year.

201 - 220 of 230 Posts