Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 153 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Application number: A001824407

Just stumbled across the DA. This supersedes the previous Nexus DA. It has one residential tower of 26 stories and a number of commercial towers at 11-12 stories. Quite a lot going on in this place so if you want more details best to check the DA.

This is for the large vacant site on the corner of Deshon St & Logan Rd. Also of note is another proposed office block directly opposite. Sign of things to come for the area. :cheers:

·
26,684 Posts
WOW big stuff...good to see. This is councils vision for the area, so I don't see it coming across to many issues in the DA stage.

Looks like a big Emporium...which is not a bad thing!!

·
26,684 Posts
From the DA:

This is a very mixed used development and quite small in area for the amount of variety.

This will be really interesting to watch how it works after construction has finished.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
This is a very mixed used development and quite small in area for the amount of variety.

This will be really interesting to watch how it works after construction has finished.
It looks to me like the previous proposal (A001625030 - check page 87 of the first engineering report), which was also a large mixed use development, spanned a much larger land area (almost the whole block). This new proposal looks to use less land area, but goes much much higher and is much more dense.

It looks like the same developers are behind it, but why they decided not to use the rest of the land they have (had?) available to them I can't say. Or maybe I've misread the plans?

·
26,684 Posts
Could have been significant heritage/character housing, whereas the new one might be demolishing unrepairable or bad quality character housing only. BCC would prefer this.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ooops, I tell a lie. It does indeed seem to use the same land envelope. It's just the density that makes the area look much smaller to my eyes.

And yes, all the resi streets in the area are Character Resi & under demo control. You'll note that all the new housing proposed in those areas are low impact, and are being targeted as 'affordable housing'.

The Logan Rd corridor itself has been earmarked to switch from Light Industrial but these guys and others seem keen to jump the gun on that.

·
26,684 Posts
I love the last line of the Conclusion:

'Council's approval is recommended' :lol:

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)

Some stats...

Site area: 244062sqm

Residential: 44871.4sqm
Commercial: 34120sqm
Retail: 8119sqm

R1: 26 levels 80.9m
R2: 9 levels
R3: 8 levels
R4: 9 levels
R5 (low cost): 5 levels
C1: 13 levels 46.1m
C2: 11 levels
C3: 11 levels

Architects: Bligh Voller Nield, Buchan, Plazibat+Jemmott

Also of note is 3 (small looking) cinemas and lots of car spaces. This will put some heavy load on Deshon St, which can get pretty mad at peak already.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
OMG! I am so pleased with this development unlike that heap of turd across from Boggo Road on Ipswich Road. This is much needed and this site is perfect. It was just last week i was wondering what was going to go here, crazy. Plazibat+Jemmott Architects do some very classy stuff, they do most of Tom Dooley's work in Kangaroo Point and New Farm.
This along with surrounding industrial sites and the potential sites near Chalk and the development of the Goprint site should make this side of side of town quite a nice 'extension of the cbd' Not to mention the 10 story tower on Vulture Street and the medium density potential generally along Vulture street and Logan and Ipswich roads in KP.

In short... Love it.

·
Is Slightly Opinionated.
456 Posts
I know this is petty, but the facade scares me. If they don't do good job in both material selection and finished work, it runs the risk of looking like a poor mans Fed Square..."We wanted Fed Square, but this was all we could afford."

·
Premium Member
9,618 Posts
Looks good, I was wondering what would happen with that huge site. I'd be suprised, but very glad if they allow an 80m tower.

Some pics of the vicinity, and the Gabba potential in general

·
7,976 Posts
Awesome stuff. The designs of some of the buildings look a little bland, but it's hard to expect much more in this area. 26 stories is way more than anything I could dream of for this area.

·
and COKE please
357 Posts
Sounds good. Woolloongabba is the perfect place in Brisbane for densification. My only hope is that they build an underground rail from Park Road to the CBD which will COMPLIMENT all of the developments. It can and will rival The Valley / Bowen Hills area as the next logical place for commercial sites. I'd hate to think what percentage of sites are on the northside only.

Can you imagine the Gabba being surrounded by dense commercial / residential neighbourhood. That Go-Print site though is still one of the prime areas, but for commerical only I would feel.

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
i cannot wait to see the community reaction.

as much as i like the idea of this development, i think it might be beneifical for a site more closely located to the Gabba to be developed first as a kind of desensitisation.

it'll be interesting to see the council response.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I support it - I live about 150 meters away. :) Will do wonders for property prices here, but no doubt the NIMBYs will be on the rampage. Bear in mind that Deshon St really brings this area down which is a shame because otherwise it's a fantastic location - having something like this close by will negate the Deshon St 'ugliness' factor by a large margin. Hopefully that alone will sway enough residents to support it - not to mention having some nice shops & restaurants just up the road.

I reckon the 'affordable housing' will be a larger sticking point than the tower.

Here's some food for thought. Some feedback from council to the developer from the last DA, which was far less dense/tall:

Essentially council asked the developer to help write the local plan with them! The draft says that that parcel of land is earmarked for medium density mixed use - I doubt 80m towers fit in that category. So it's a waiting game once again.

·
26,684 Posts

as much as i like the idea of this development, i think it might be beneifical for a site more closely located to the Gabba to be developed first as a kind of desensitisation.

This will help the other land owners think about what they can do with their site. It often spreads out to start of with and then closes in. If you remember early photos of Brisbane CBD you'll notice how spread out the buildings were. Remember this is close to the Buranda rail and busway station.

1 - 20 of 153 Posts