Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Harder Better Faster
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Feasibility study up for LRT project in Davao City

Davao City — If everything pans out between the LGU here and a Korean construction firm, then Davao City will have its own light rail transit or LRT.

A Memorandum of Agreement (MOA) signed the other day between Mayor Rodrigo Duterte and the officers of the Korea Engineering and Construction (KEC) headed by Professor Chae Il Kwon, Chief Researcher of the Transportation Study Group of Seoul National University, indicated the commencement of a feasibility study for the construction of the Davao Light Rail Transit (LRT) project.

·
Harder Better Faster
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Korean firm to study Davao LRT feasibility

DAVAO CITY -- A South Korean company has received approval from the local government to look into the feasibility of a light rail transit system for the city.
This was after a memorandum of agreement with Korea Engineering and Construction Co. Ltd. (KEC) for the feasibility study of a 13.6-kilometer transport system, eyed to ease local vehicular traffic.

Based on a proposal presented to Mayor Rodrigo R. Duterte, KEC officials said they would seek a $1-million grant from the International Contractors Association of Korea for the feasibility study.

·
Harder Better Faster
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)

Davao City — If everything pans out between the LGU here and a Korean construction firm, then Davao City will have its own light rail transit or LRT.

Two LRT routes were presented by KEC, specifically from the Davao Gulf ad Country Club to the Francisco Bangoy International Airport. Both routes will pass through different proposed stations, with the first one having a length of 13 kilometers while the second being 17 kilometers.

On his end, Duterte said he will be sending engineers from the city government and the private sector to Korea to study their LRT systems and to familiarize on the construction and operating procedures. The city constituents won’t be left out as well, adding that consultations with them will be conducted to get their sentiments on the project.

Davao Region FB page

·
Registered
19 Posts
This seems good considering the huge size davao has, this would benefit the the regions development greatly.

it does not look like an LRT at all. parang improved version siya ng PNR.
yea which i reckon could be a better choice than an elevated railway coz for when expansion happens they could have multiple rail lines and multiple platforms going all throughout the city. :lol: :lol: :lol: so yea, il be optimistic with project.

·
praise kek
640 Posts
From by the looks of it, it looks like it uses LRVs. What is the projected ridership of this? Because I don't want it to repeat a disastrous thing called MRT-3 back here in Metro Manila.

If the projected ridership is high, it'd be better of as a heavy metro. Just like MRT-2, where they use heavy rolling stock instead of LRVs. And that's why it's not as crowded as MRT-3 or even LRT-1.

Other than that, baka mauuna to sa LRT-1 SEP at MRT-7 na nasasakit sa yellow fever since June 30, 2010. :lol:

More progress to Davao and the PH! :D

·
Registered
20 Posts
@tambay328

It doesn't have to be elevated to be considered an LRT. There's a multitude of examples of non-elevated LRTs in North America and Europe.

·
BRANNED
3,262 Posts
From the looks of that render, it looks like they're going to repeat the disaster we call MRT-3 here in manila.

Bakit kaya hinde standard metro / heavy trains ang gamitin instead of the trams na ginagamit ng metro-rail transit...

·
Registered
20 Posts
If they're really serious on putting up rail transit in the city, they might as well go the extra mile and dish out more cash to consider going the subway approach.

Davao City already has a considerable population and that population is going to need more space. Repeating the clusterf*ck that happened in Metro Manila with the different rail companies with different interests would be a big disappointment. They can also build a sewage and flood control system in conjunction with it if they do go with the subway.

·
Pinoy Winnipeger
122 Posts
This project looks optimistic.

I hope that this project would actually be built :cheers:

·
Nobel Prize Laureate
858 Posts
Good start. I wish to see the materialization of this. I know Duterte has political will which other politicians lack. If feasible, I have no doubts that this project will indeed come to life.

·
praise kek
640 Posts
^^ Just make sure they don't actually repeat this huge mess back here in Manila...

Since Davao's population is about 1.5 million, I guess it's more viable to use full metro trains instead of LRVs, which could handle way more people than four coupled LRVs, just like these...

·
F.L.I.P.
1,248 Posts
Davao City is lucky, they can benchmark the mass transport system of other progressive cities. I hope this is not a piece-meal solution. Must think long term!

1 - 20 of 110 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.