SkyscraperCity banner

21 - 40 of 1254 Posts

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
I took this pic on my way to Fort Portal in western Uganda. This is the Hima cement factory and it looks like they are having a major expansion project going on.

·
Banned
62 Posts
:eek:hno:
Uganda has made progress over the years and I believe it will continue.

Before the late 90's, Kampala hardly had a skyline. The infrastructure was horrible.(though im not implying that its perfect now) Traffic lights were a novelty. Street lighting was rare. The city was still recovering from years of misrule and war.

Today, Kampala is changing.

Roads have been widened to accomodate the increase in traffic.

Street junctions are being improved and traffic light controlled junctions are now common.

Flyovers and bypass are being built around the city to ease congestion.

Highways are also being built in the rural areas like this one in Jinja in eastern Uganda (yet to be marked).

Just give it time. I can bet most of the lnfrastructure projects planned in Uganda will see the light of day.
Im sorry but "give it time" ??? plzz this country has no hope... but hey, untill now i didnt think that Uganda even had bulidings hahahaha

just joking keep up the work cause u have ALL THE TIME IN THE WORLD.....1

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
:eek:hno:

Im sorry but "give it time" ??? plzz this country has no hope... but hey, untill now i didnt think that Uganda even had bulidings hahahaha

just joking keep up the work cause u have ALL THE TIME IN THE WORLD.....1
^^
Hmmm...the country has no hope? I think it does. Anyway, it seems you had all the time in the world to post this about a country you wouldn't even give a damn about (pardon my french).

·
Nkrabea Nni Kwatibea
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
First African Coffee Factory Opens in Uganda

First African Coffee Factory Opens in Kampala​
Paul Mwijagye

20 July 2009

Kampala — Uganda has become the first country in Africa to open a coffee roasting and packaging factory that will retail its products directly to European markets.

Good African Coffee Ltd was opened last Friday by President Yoweri Museveni. The president noted that Uganda and Africa as a whole have been losing a lot of revenue because of not adding value to their exports.

"Total business from coffee in the world amounts to $144 billion. Out of this, all coffee growing countries including Brazil get $15billion," Museveni explained.

He said $130 billion goes to the importing countries.

He said whereas 1kg of coffee beans costs $1 that of processed coffee costs $15. "This factory is a step to liberation because the country will retain the money it has been losing for lack of value addition," he said.

Good African chief executive officer Andrew Rugasira said the $1million roasting and packaging plant has a capacity of 3 million kg per year.

Good African Coffee, launched in 2003, now boasts of operations within Uganda that run from coffee growing with over 14,000 Arabica farmers in Kasese, Western Uganda, to packaged production for export.

"Today we celebrate a landmark not just as a company but as Africa the continent. This is the first time an African company is capturing the complete value chain and exporting to Europe," Rugasira noted.

Good Africa is also the first company to be contracted to supply coffee roasted and packaged direct to global supermarket chains like Tesco's, Sainsbury and Waitrose in the UK, and Shoprite Checkers of South Africa.

To date the company has invested over $2.5m in developing the farmer infrastructure in Kasese, and growing the brand globally to attain markets in UK and South Africa.

Rugasira also said they will be processing coffee from other East African countries like Tanzania and Rwanda. The company has embraced fair trade where it shares 50% of its profits with growers and their communities and currently employees over 120 people.

"With this kind of expansion we hope to absorb more labour," Rugasira said.

East African Business Week
:cheers:

·
Banned
62 Posts
^^
Hmmm...the country has no hope? I think it does. Anyway, it seems you had all the time in the world to post this about a country you wouldn't even give a damn about (pardon my french).
lol come on dont get offended... you see it does have hope but its sooooo far away....
The fact is this country has no positive positive near future no economic resources a very very low human development index, extreamly poor infestructure, social issues, H.I.V, High crime rate, More than 80% of the population is under the poverty line I could go on for more but I think you get the point. Its about money in this world, you ether have it or you dont, and in this case you clearly dont.. but hey dont give up every country went through this fase...:)

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
lol come on dont get offended... you see it does have hope but its sooooo far away....
The fact is this country has no positive positive near future no economic resources a very very low human development index, extreamly poor infestructure, social issues, H.I.V, High crime rate, More than 80% of the population is under the poverty line I could go on for more but I think you get the point. Its about money in this world, you ether have it or you dont, and in this case you clearly dont.. but hey dont give up every country went through this fase...:)

Now you know why I say you dont even give a damn about Uganda. You didnt even bother finding out statistics about the country to back your claims. since when did we have a category like very very low human development index? The last time I checked, it was either low, medium or high. Uganda's HDI (2006) was 0.502 which placed it in the medium category. I hardly think thats very very low even by African standards.

Extremely poor infrasructure: Im sure you are comparing highways/railways etc in your country (Morocco) to those in Uganda. Then again you fail to realise that Morocco has recently been upgrading its infrastructure just like Uganda is trying to do now, albeit with less money but its a good start. Morocco didnt always have the lovely highways you see today and I hope Uganda will continue to go down the same path regarding infrastructure.

HIV: Actually, Uganda is considered a model country in regards to curbing the spread of the virus. The prevalence rates dropped from highs of 15% in the 90's to around 6% and it is hoped it will drop further. alot of research on HIV is carried out in Uganda and the country even produces its own ARV drugs which not many countries on the continent are able to do.

High crime rate: Now, I dont know where you got this from but I stay in Uganda and quite frankly, I feel safer in Uganda than in alot of countries including my own. I can walk down a street at 3 am in Uganda without fear of being mugged or worse things happening to me.

More than 80% being below the poverty line: Wrong stats again. Its placed at 35%.

No economic resources: If you haven't been following the news, it might have escaped your attention that Uganda has oil.that is in addition to cobalt-copper, gold,lead, lithium,tantalum,tin,titanium,tungsten etc. it has a good agricultural sector and service sector that is growing.

My point is, again, Uganda has potential to go far and it is not as far fetched as you want it to be.

·
Mutu ya Chuma.
43,876 Posts
Now you know why I say you dont even give a damn about Uganda. You didnt even bother finding out statistics about the country to back your claims. since when did we have a category like very very low human development index? The last time I checked, it was either low, medium or high. Uganda's HDI (2006) was 0.502 which placed it in the medium category. I hardly think thats very very low even by African standards.

Extremely poor infrasructure: Im sure you are comparing highways/railways etc in your country (Morocco) to those in Uganda. Then again you fail to realise that Morocco has recently been upgrading its infrastructure just like Uganda is trying to do now, albeit with less money but its a good start. Morocco didnt always have the lovely highways you see today and I hope Uganda will continue to go down the same path regarding infrastructure.

HIV: Actually, Uganda is considered a model country in regards to curbing the spread of the virus. The prevalence rates dropped from highs of 15% in the 90's to around 6% and it is hoped it will drop further. alot of research on HIV is carried out in Uganda and the country even produces its own ARV drugs which not many countries on the continent are able to do.

High crime rate: Now, I dont know where you got this from but I stay in Uganda and quite frankly, I feel safer in Uganda than in alot of countries including my own. I can walk down a street at 3 am in Uganda without fear of being mugged or worse things happening to me.

More than 80% being below the poverty line: Wrong stats again. Its placed at 35%.

No economic resources: If you haven't been following the news, it might have escaped your attention that Uganda has oil.that is in addition to cobalt-copper, gold,lead, lithium,tantalum,tin,titanium,tungsten etc. it has a good agricultural sector and service sector that is growing.

My point is, again, Uganda has potential to go far and it is not as far fetched as you want it to be.

I don't like Uganda, but i agree with you . everythig you say is ttrue. I lived in Kampala for 1 year and half 1999-2000. and i see the difference now. They are growing.

·
Mutu ya Chuma.
43,876 Posts
Thanx Butembo.
Not to mention that Uganda is a self suffient in food. if they had excess to EU, US markets , they will be growing twice the current growth.

Morocco doesn't even pay Txes to sell their stuff in EU. That's a massive advantage any country will dream of.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I dont think this is the solution if it is costing $1m coz that is little money and Uganda would have done it many years ago...if not other African coffe countries like Ethiopia or Kenya. The West have the Marketting since they are the consumers of the very stuff and that is where the problem could be.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Creating a coffee industry is not going to solve the problem. They should know better how things works especially with the war that recently took place between Starbucks and the Ethiopian government. Each concerned government within those importing countries will try to protect the sector since it is a source of employment and above all revenue, period!

·
Registered
16,553 Posts
Great news. Im shocked its the first factory though. With chocolate, it makes sense that its processed in Western countries as it oftens melts in the tropics. This doenst appy to coffee so it should be produced in the growing nations.

·
Banned
62 Posts

LMAOOOO Plzzz, one sec while i catch my breath!!

First of all what strikes me is that you seam to be justyfing my claims.
Wether you have a low human development index or a very very low human development index is not the point, the point is, its bloody LOW!!
Secondly, NO i wasnt comparing you to Morocco, so dnt flatter urself.
Thirdly yes Uganda is growing, no doubt about it, Uganda is on the move..
the issue is, its moving at a snails pace and considering the Financial, economical, issues this poor country faces, it just not even close enough to even makeing a dent in the daily living conditions of its population.
Now touching on your claim that Uganda has "oil" I would like to inform you that if you had even a disent amount of it, we would not be having this conversation.
You also menchened that you have the following resources; cobalt-copper, gold,lead, lithium,tantalum,tin,titanium,tungsten. Find out these facts, How many people are employed in this industry, the pay wadge, the finacial implication of these resources on the country with refferance to its contribution towards G.D.P
Some facts:
Uganda population 32,369.558
Percentage of urbanization 13% of the total population (2008)
87% of the population live in rural areas. so how much of Uganda's population is actually being effected by this economic boom??

Life expectancy:
Male: 51.81 years (2009 est.)
Female: 53.81n years (2009 est.)

To be honest, I was shocked at this fact!

People living with HIV/AIDS
940,000 (2007 est.)

another constraint is that 80% of the work force is employed by the agricultural sector. which is typical of underdeveloped countries.

Im sorry, but this country is a failed state.

Despite The gains Uganda has made in recent years, unfortunatly the losses out weigh the gains by a huge margin by any standard.

·
Banned
62 Posts
Not to mention that Uganda is a self suffient in food. if they had excess to EU, US markets , they will be growing twice the current growth.

Morocco doesn't even pay Txes to sell their stuff in EU. That's a massive advantage any country will dream of.
If its self susfficent, why are poeple starving to death?? is it beacuse there just not hungry?? no its cause the food it does supply is only the basic needs to sustain human life, now as i have pointed out to others, 80% of Uganda's work force is employed in the agricultural sector, soo dont tell me that your "self suffcient" because at the end of the day people in Uganda are still starving to death, with no food, no water, no shelter, no electricity okay. These are BASIC!!!! needs, if a country is struggling to provide these needs than I dnt noe what to say.

·
Mutu ya Chuma.
43,876 Posts
If its self susfficent, why are poeple starving to death?? is it beacuse there just not hungry?? no its cause the food it does supply is only the basic needs to sustain human life, now as i have pointed out to others, 80% of Uganda's work force is employed in the agricultural sector, soo dont tell me that your "self suffcient" because at the end of the day people in Uganda are still starving to death, with no food, no water, no shelter, no electricity okay. These are BASIC!!!! needs, if a country is struggling to provide these needs than I dnt noe what to say.
I don't know of Ugandese that starve to death, SHOW YOUR SOURCE TO SUPPORT YOUR STATEMENT.

The only place that Uganda have problems is the Northern part that has been plagued by rebelions since the 80s.

21 - 40 of 1254 Posts