SkyscraperCity banner

281 - 300 of 306 Posts

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
oil will increase corruption and kill other industries that require government attention
mark my words, its not worth it
thats true but oil ill urn what our coffe urns its not going to lead our buiness world the oil in uganda isnt a life time supply like nigeria so we wnt faes problems ouf that size

·
Banned
329 Posts
Oil is truly the most overrated way to develop an economy. Too much Africans think that their country is going to be the next Dubai when it's found.

Obviously it will bring some economic development, but it's very far from the end all.
It certainly won't be the next Dubai if these countries don't have investors and a crap hole for a government

If they can't develop their country with mineral, agriculture or forestry what really makes them believe oil will answer their prayers?

This oil thing is really overrated in this forum:lol:

·
Mutu ya Chuma.
43,876 Posts
It certainly won't be the next Dubai if these countries don't have investors and a crap hole for a government

If they can't develop their country with mineral, agriculture or forestry what really makes them believe oil will answer their prayers?

This oil thing is really overrated in this forum:lol:
Lots of people indeed have a misunderstanding about Oil.

Oil is the super money earner than anything else out there.

However; Making the money is one thing and Using the money is different issue.

My susggestion to OIL money is , it should be used to building the infrastructures,Higher education, Healthcare and Rural development.

OIL can benefit a nation big time and faster. Only if its used wisely as i put it above.

·
Registered
98 Posts
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-02-04/dryka-s-danyland-drills-burundi-nickel-deposits-to-determine-viability.html

Danyland Ltd., a subsidiary of Dwyka Diamonds Ltd., started drilling nickel deposits in Burundi to establish their commercial viability after four years of surface exploration, the Energy and Minerals Ministry said.

Results of the drilling will determine whether the company embarks on commercial production, Damien Riragonya, an adviser to the Burundian energy and minerals ministers, said today in an interview in the Ugandan capital, Kampala.

“They have done surface exploration and now they want to evaluate the drill results and determine whether to go into mining,” he said.

Danyland is exploring for the metal in the Muremera area, close to Tanzania’s Kabanga project, one of the largest known undeveloped nickel deposits in Africa, he said.

Burundi’s nickel-ore reserves stretch from the south to the northeast of the country, he said. The government of the east- central African nation is considering road, rail and power projects to encourage mining if commercially-viable deposits are discovered, said Riragonya.

To contact the reporter on this story: Fred Ojambo in Kampala via Johannesburg at [email protected].

http://www.nyotaminerals.com/projects/nickel_map.php

rev.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Uganda power and energy news

Power plant commissioned
FRIDAY, 25 FEBRUARY 2011 12:42 BY THE INDEPENDENT TEAM

Mpanga Hydropower Plant, commissioned recently in Kamwenge District, will power over 20,000 households, increasing access to electricity.

The generation plant, developed by the South Asia Energy Management System, is a Public-Private Partnership coming off a 2008 government partnership with African EMS Mpanga, a local company.

“The government, through the Rural Electrification Agency (REA), has constructed the power line and a substation that will evacuate the energy generated,” Godfrey Turyahikayo, the agency’s executive director.

70billion mosquito net plant launched

A new plant worth $30 million (about Shs70 billion) has been commissioned in Namanve Industrial Park to boost the manufacture of mosquito nets and help reduce malaria.

The Tanzania-based company, Plasnet Limited, shall start production by July and will roll out over 2.4 million nets by 2015, cutting down the country’s import bill.

Mosquito nets currently cost about Shs 12,000 each. A new plant, experts say, means more supply there by reducing the price which is relatively high in a country that has one the highest rates of malaria infections in Africa.

Apart from increasing the supply of nets, the new plant is expected to create some 5,000 jobs by 2015.

MTN, NWSC in partnership

Telecom giants MTN and UTL have signed agreements with the water utility National Water and Sewerage Corporation (NWSC) to have their bills paid through the telecoms’ mobile money transfer platforms.

While launching the partnerships last week, NWSC’s Managing Director, William Muhairwe, said this will improve services and save water users the burden of cashing bills at the corporation’s offices. About 1.5 million customers will pay bills using MTN Mobile Money.

No oil testing kits

The Uganda National Bureau of Standards (UNBS) does not have a modern laboratory to enable it to test the quality of petroleum products.

According to the UNBS Executive Director, Dr. Terry Kahuma, UNBS’ equipment falls below the standard to testing the petrol sold at fuel stations, or the one excavated from the ground.

“This calls for Government’s immediate response in providing facilities suitable for an oil-rich nation like Uganda,” Kahuma said addressing while launching Petro Uganda’s Kitante service station on Yusuf Lule Road in Kampala recently.

“We are aware that the market is flooded with sub-standard petroleum products like petrol mixed with water and recycled lubricants. But we cannot hold the culprits accountable because UNBS cannot subject these products to chemical tests,” he added.

Kahuma said it was demoralising that UNBS spends many resources to apprehend offenders with fake products worth hundreds of millions of shillings, yet courts fine them not more than sh40, 000.

State Minister for Energy, Simon D’Ujanga, said the government was trying to remove all illegal operators from the market.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Cashing in on Uganda's oil boom

Cashing in on Uganda's oil boom

Trisa Kabaganda knows that, as the Ugandan proverb goes, it is only the early risers who succeed in filling their baskets with white ants.

And when oil was discovered in the Hoima district of Western Uganda, she was an early riser.

She realised that people working in the oil industry would soon need local services and accommodation, and decided to grab the opportunity that was knocking at her door.

She started with a restaurant and a boutique, but has gone on to open the Trisek Hotel in Hoima Town, the district's capital, in August this year.

Lately she has also been filling her baskets with villas, 14 of them so far.

They surround the hotel - which overlooks the beautiful Hoima hills - and are all named after wild animals found in the nearby Murchison Falls national park.

Ms Kabaganda told the BBC's African Dream series that she charges from $40 (£25) to $60 a night for accommodation in the hotel, which has 10 rooms, and $100 a night per villa.
A road to riches

"Before the oil industry, I had not thought about a hotel but I was thinking of putting up apartments," she said.

For the last couple of months most of her guests have been people working on the road that leads to the oil well.

She admits that she has been making lots of money and says she wants to use it to buy more land and to open other branches of her hotel.

"I would want it to become bigger and bigger to make sure that my parents are proud of me and my people in Hoima are proud of me," Ms Kabaganda told the BBC's Joshua Mmali.

At the moment, her partners in the business are her two children, aged 20 and 22.

"I don't think it's a bad idea to put children in business. I've been doing my businesses with my children and, right now, I'm proud because they're all doing petroleum engineering," she said.

"I'm really targeting for the oil industry because I've put my children to the oil industry as well," she added.

According to The Economist, Uganda expects to earn $2bn a year from oil by 2015.

Earlier this week the Ugandan parliament was told that nearly 80 companies have applied for oil exploration rights.

Ms Kabaganda told the BBC that one of her biggest challenges came when thieves targeted a container full of goods she had ordered to start her business.

"That set me back and then I had to spend like two months without opening but I managed to get along, and the things which they had stolen, I replaced them," she said.

According to her, a big problem at the moment is the scarcity of water and electricity in the area. It costs her nearly $130 a day to run a generator.

And what would be her advice to other women planning to start a business?

"They should have courage. And if you have courage you will slowly succeed because, as I started, I didn't know that I would finish but here I am. I've finished my project."

African Dream is broadcast on the BBC Network Africa programme every Monday morning.

Every week, one successful business man or woman will explain how they started off and what others could learn from them.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Oil and gas wealth in east Africa: A boon or a bane?

Mouths are wagging over the discovery of oil in east Africa. The loudest are the pessimists who predict doom “like everywhere else.” But is the discovery of oil, necessarily a bane, a curse to be feared? This article argues that oil is a boon and east Africa has the wherewithal to harness this resource for the good of the region.
http://eaers.blogspot.com/2012/04/oil-and-gas-wealth-in-east-africa-boon.html

·
Daniel, the Engineure
713 Posts
Updates
:)

·
Registered
104 Posts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=fxk3GkDhxP4

China's CNOOC wins $2bn Uganda oil field contract
An attendant filling petrol at a fuel station in China China's energy demand has risen sharply over the past few years as its economy has expanded
Continue reading the main story
Related Stories

China's oil demand meets North Sea supply
Canada backs Nexen sale to CNOOC
PetroChina agrees Canada gas deal

China's state-owned oil firm China National Offshore Oil Corporation (CNOOC) has won a $2bn (£1.3bn) deal to develop an oil field in Uganda oil.

The Kingfisher field is estimated to hold 635 million barrels of oil, of which 196 million are recoverable.

It is the latest in a series of investments by Chinese firms in overseas oil and gas resources.

Chinese firms have been looking to secure energy resources to meet growing domestic demand.

CNOOC will develop the Kingfisher oil field over a period of four years.

According to Peter Lokeris, Uganda's junior energy minister, the field will have an initial capacity to produce between 30,000 to 40,000 barrels of oil per day.
Other deals

China's rapid economic expansion and urbanisation in recent years has led to increasing demand for fuel, making it one of the biggest consumers of oil in the world.

That demand is expected to rise even further as its economy continues to grow.

But China relies heavily on imports to meet that demand.

As a result, Chinese firms have been looking to invest in oil and gas resources in an attempt to secure supplies.

Last year, CNOOC agreed to pay $15.1bn to acquire Canadian firm Nexen, making it China's largest foreign business takeover.

In December, another state-owned firm, PetroChina, agreed a $2.2bn deal to buy a 49.9% stake in Canadian firm Encana's natural gas project in Alberta.

That project contains supplies equivalent to nearly nine billion barrels of oil.

PetroChina also signed another deal last year to buy BHP Billiton's stake in an Australian liquefied natural gas project.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-24279582

·
Registered
44 Posts
Exactly. why should oil be a curse? No reason at all. It is a resource that should be utilised to uplift the economies of the countries and the people

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Mhhh i thought they abondend Uganda... The independent puplished in february an article that all oil companies including tullow have removed their rigs from the country.... They wrote production will start now of 2020...

It is not hard to understand why the companies are sending employees packing. Last year the two of them were operating a total of six rigs. Total E&P, the busiest was operating four and Tullow two. As February begins, the last of these rigs will be demobilised and dispatched to Kuwait. A source also intimated to The Independent that Total and Tullow have also closed camps.

·
Registered
44 Posts
@araldi I think they'd rather use the oil now than wait for 2012. Oil prices will have fallen by at least 10% then & drilling and refining costs will have risen. Electric engines are slowly taking a bite into the oil based profits. Detroit is toying with electric cars, Tesla is a pioneer, Toyota is building electric cars en masse, and we recently had a plane flying across the world entirely on solar energy and that alone will open up new possibilities. The future of oil is good but not as robust as it is now. of course we can't be 100% sure of everything but we can try and predict according to current trends. Please check out this new ugandan forum site www.ugandanforum.com & Twitter : @ugandanforum. Thanks for the great posts

281 - 300 of 306 Posts