SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 281 Posts

·
Banned
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Uganda's main opposition party has accused President Yoweri Museveni of preparing his son to succeed him.

First family: Mr Museveni (l), his son (c) and his ministerial wife (r)

The president's son, Lt Col Kainerugaba Muhoozi, who already commands a special forces unit, has now been given control of the elite presidential guard.

"He's making the Ugandan presidency a monarchical affair and is clearly anointing his son to succeed him," said opposition spokesman Hussein Kyanjo.

Several of Mr Museveni's relatives hold senior positions in his administration.

KEEPING IT IN THE FAMILY?
Gen Caleb Akandwanaho - Mr Museveni's brother - senior presidential advisor on defence
Sam Kutesa - brother-in-law - foreign affairs minister
Janet Museveni - wife - minister for Karamoja region
Lt Col Kainerugaba Muhoozi - son - commander of special forces
Natasha Karugire - daughter - private secretary to the president
Hope Nyakairu - relative of first lady - finance under secretary at state house
Justus Karuhanga - first lady's nephew - president's private secretary for legal affairs

His wife was appointed to the cabinet last year.

Army spokesman Felix Kulaigye dismissed the criticism of the latest appointment.

"Muhoozi didn't commit any crime by being the son of the president. He's an individual Ugandan with rights including contesting for the presidency if he wants," he said, reports the Reuters news agency.

Lt Col Muhoozi, 36, was appointed head of the special forces unit in 2008. He has had military training in both the UK and US, reports the AFP news agency.

Mr Museveni, in power since 1986, is expected to seek re-election next year.

He changed the constitution to be allowed to stand in the 2006 polls.

Mr Kyanjo's Forum for Democratic Change said those polls were rigged - charges denied by Mr Museveni.

What a shame to the whole Ugandan community, from the dictators of Amin to the Sectarianism and nepotism of Museveni

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/8542568.stm

·
Banned
312 Posts
my thing is, a dictatorship is one of the worst most barbaric forms of government but if your going to be a dictator have the balls to be a dictator and dont claim to be something else by holding rigged elections.

it only makes your already inefficient government more inefficient and the social environment more problematic

why go through the stress of elections, opposition parties, media ect.
if you want to dictate, dictate, don't sneak around and pretend otherwise

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
I agree zim shouldn't be there. Maybe Botswana. I guess the driving factor behind this is not so much that the power should be kept within the family but to ensure your dark deeds don't come back to haunt you when you leave power. The only two ways to do so is either create a puppet who you can manipulate to replace you or get your own flesh and blood who won't come after your neck.

·
Registered
305 Posts
mao and the democratic party must win the election. look how mao developed gulu most of uganda thoght there was no hope but look how gulu is growing today. is m7 son lead i just hope he is not like his father.

·
Mutu ya Chuma.
43,876 Posts
I agree zim shouldn't be there. Maybe Botswana. I guess the driving factor behind this is not so much that the power should be kept within the family but to ensure your dark deeds don't come back to haunt you when you leave power. The only two ways to do so is either create a puppet who you can manipulate to replace you or get your own flesh and blood who won't come after your neck.
:hilarious: thats so true.

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
mao and the democratic party must win the election. look how mao developed gulu most of uganda thoght there was no hope but look how gulu is growing today. is m7 son lead i just hope he is not like his father.
Truth is, DP is no match for the NRM (Museveni's party). NRM still has a larger support base and government resources at its disposal. Unless they form coalitions with other parties like FDC and UPC, DP's chances of winning in the election next year are really slim. If only the politicians can give up their presidential ambitions and field one candidate who has a progressive agenda for Uganda. If not, rest assured M7 will just do what he does best and come 2012 he will still be in state house. I just hope there will be no problems afterwards.

1 - 20 of 281 Posts