·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Uganda Cranes fly out without training
Wednesday, 26th January, 2011
E-mail article Print article
By Norman Katende

THE national soccer team will leave on Monday for the Africa Nations Championship finals in Sudan without any workouts. This follows a congested local and international programme.

National coach Robert Williamson (right) yesterday said that the training that had been scheduled to start tomorrow was put off as many players were still on duty with their clubs for local engagements.

All the clubs that have players on the national team are involved in either the league or Uganda Cup this weekend.

Victors players are away with for the CAF Confederations Cup against Swaziland side Mbabane Highlanders.

“It is illogical to have a training session at 11am when the players have a match with their clubs in the afternoon. It is not good for the players’ health,” Williamson remarked in Kampala yesterday.

He added that Cranes players will meet on Sunday for a briefing before leaving for Sudan on Monday.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
this thread is for Ugandan sport post pictures,videos new and details on the current sport scene.

Osinde makes history
SHARE BOOKMARKPRINTEMAILRATING

PRIZE WICKET: Osinde (L) celebrates trapping England’s Luke Wright LBW in last Wednesday’s warm up game

By Innocent Ndawula (email the author)
Posted Monday, February 21 2011 at 00:00
If you are into motivational quotes, then you will concur that Henry Ford, the founder of Ford Motor Company, had people like Henry Osinde in mind when he said; “Some people succeed because they are destined to, but most people succeed because they are determined to.”

Osinde has against all odds risen from a mediocre, who could not make Uganda’s playing squad consistently into an inspirational figure that opens the bowling for his adopted country Canada, and is rated as the fastest and most feared bowler among the Associates (read emerging nations).

Last Wednesday in Fatullah - Dhaka, when Canada stifled England but still went down by 16 runs in what was going to be a welcome shocker ahead of the 49-match, 43-day, 13-venue event, Osinde (2/42) was in the thick of the action dismissing mid-order hard hitting batsmen Michael Yardy for six and Luke Wright for a five-ball duck.

Keeping focused
“They went so hard at me. Kevin Pietersen came down the wicket and did a lot of stuff. But I just bowled hard,” said Osinde while admitting that K.P is the batsman he fears most.

And it’s no surprise that members of the Ugandan cricket fraternity were glued to their TV sets when Osinde steamed from 30 yards for the second over of the day against hosts Sri Lanka at the newly-built 35,000 capacity-seater Mahinda Rajapaksha International Cricket Stadium yesterday afternoon.

The 32-year-old will have surpassed legendary Sam Walusimbi and Presidential Advisor on Media John Nagenda as the first Ugandan to play in two International Cricket Council (ICC) Cricket World Cups – albeit for another country. Walusimbi and Nagenda played in the first-ever World Cup, hosted by England and won by West Indies, in 1975 as part of the combined East African team.

“I respect those two (Nagenda and Walusimbi) gentlemen. They are the real embodiment of cricket in Uganda and to go one better than what they did is a great honour for me,” Osinde told Daily Monitor last Thursday afternoon before the Canada team flew out of Chennai, India for Colombo, Sri Lanka to prepare for their opening game.

Canada are pooled in Group A alongside defending champions Australia, Pakistan, New Zealand, Sri Lanka, Zimbabwe and Kenya with the top four countries progressing through to the quarterfinals of the global quadrennial showpiece.

This will be Canada’s fourth appearance and Osinde says they do not want to finish as also-rans but want to create some buzz.

“Our goal is to upset a test team. And beat Kenya and Zimbabwe. We came close against England. If everything goes according to plan, we should reach the quarters,” added the former Busoga College Mwiri captain.

“Apart from me, we have some talented guys in the squad who can win games for us. John Davison is very flamboyant, our captain Ashish Bagai is in the form of his life and Rizwan Cheema has the capability of tearing apart any bowling attack like he did in that losing knock of 93 against England,” he added.

More experienced
And when asked about his targets Osinde was much calmer. “I didn’t fare well on my World Cup debut in 2007 in West Indies. But that’s how life is. Sometimes you get smacked as a bowler but there are also good days,” he said while evoking memories of that game when former New Zealand captain Stephen Fleming pounded him all over the park.

“But I am going to take it one ball at a time this time round. When you think about a full over or 10-over spell, the pressure is insurmountable. But when you break it down into portions, it becomes less pressure. I have got a lot more experience over the years I will look to compete in every game and may be pick at least 10 wickets.”

In Toronto, Osinde cut his teeth at West Indians Cricket Club before moving on to Victoria Park and then Brampton Masters, where he has been since 2005 and spurred them to four national finals and two national titles. He has captained Masters for the last three years.

Stumbling blocks
The tall and athletic cricketer migrated to Canada in 2001 and made history in 2002 by becoming the first African to play in the Toronto & District Cricket Association Elite League.
He made his Canada debut against, of all teams, Uganda in the ICC Trophy in 2005 Ireland. But Osinde explains it has not been plain sailing.

“It was very, very hard. Yes, very hard. Word cannot explain what I went through. Hurdles and stumbling blocks were all over the place. I fought to my last breath because no one in this world knows his odds. And that is my advice to all youngsters out there.

“But I had prayers from my whole family in Uganda. Thank God I made it,” added the former captain of Nile Cricket Club in Ugandan competitions. Talking about home adds energy to Osinde’s voice, who is quick to confess. “I will retire with my last game for Nile. I am a Niler for life. I also miss my family in Uganda and my son Bryan Raul Osinde (4 years).”
His son stays with him in Toronto.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Negesa set for Johannesburg run
Monday, 28th February, 2011

Athlete Annet Negesa
By Norman Katende

ANNET Negesa has a chance to prove her inclusion on the senior cross country team when she represents the country in the Africa Cross Country Senior championships due Sunday in Johannesburg, South Africa.

Negesa, the national cross country champion, will be joined by Moses Kibet in the continental event, which is aimed at assisting in selecting national teams to the world event due in Punta Umbria, Spain.

“We did not have enough funds but we managed to raise tickets for the two. They need to gain experience in the seniors,” explained athletics body treasurer Godfrey Nuwagaba yesterday.

This is the first time Negesa is competing in an international event as a senior. She led the national junior team to a bronze medal at the world event last year.

Kibet won an individual bronze medal in the junior category three years back.

Negesa, Kibet for Africa cross country
Monday, 28 February 2011 20:22

(Negesa will be seeking for more honours) Annet Negesa and Moses Kibet will have a duty of beating the best on the African continent.

Its basketball Friday Night Lite out

(The Friday Night sponsorship package) Basketball fans will have a chance to play against league players in a tournament that has been dubbed Friday Night Lights out at YMCA.
The tournament was launched Monday at Mosa Courts with Castle Lager, under their Castle Lite brand is the main sponsor of the event. They announced a package of sh12m in the event.
Dmark, Definition, Uganda Health Marketing Group and Rwenzori Beverages are part of the other sponsors of the event.
“We are looking at seeing that the fans get a chance to go out, play and understand the game better. It will also help them build a bond with their idols,” explained Philip Kyomuhendo of Friday Night Lights out about the tournament.

(fans will interact with such stars)
The tournament will see six basketball players from different clubs join four fans to form a club.
The clubs will compete in a two-half fifteen minutes games, with the winner on every Friday winning prizes.
The overall winners will also walk off with prizes courtesy of the sponsors.
“It’s an off season event and the players have the right to compete. It is just going to be a fun game hence no more pressure,” explained the Federation of Uganda Basketball Associations secretary Tom Ocamringa, when asked whether the tournament won’t burn out the players.
Registration for the fans started yesterday.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
FUBA launches fans’ tournament
Tuesday, 1st March, 2011
By CHARLES MUTEBI

THE national basketball calendar is one competition richer following the launch of Friday Night Lights – a casual, fan-targeting tournament that will stretch across two months of the preseason.

As the name suggests, the matches will be held on Fridays only, starting this week at the YMCA. But that is not the most interesting aspect in the ten-team event that will attract the best players from the FUBA league. The biggest twist is in the fan-participation, as chief organiser Phillip Kyomuhendo explained.

“Every team has to include four fans on their line-up,” he said. “And there has to be at least one fan on court at any time of the match.”

Maketeers Kinetic Management Group say the idea is to encourage fan interaction and showcase the players’ skills and talents during the off-season.

According to director Cedric Babu, Friday Night Lights will be interactive, fun and exciting for basketball fans and non-fans alike.

Matches will last 30 minutes and will have halftime shows including entertainment, free throw challenges and other prize opportunities.

Kid riders dominate MX team to Kenya
Tuesday, 1st March, 2011
By JOHNSON WERE

Team to Kenya
MX1
Arthur Blick
Asaf Naten
Maxime Van Pee
Piete Pelser
MX2 125cc
Emma Lubowa
Jaida Kiggundu
85cc
Fatuh Kiggundu
Taliha Kiggundu
65cc
Alistear Blick
Ali Umaru
50cc
Ben Nsumba
Habib Kiggundu
Paddy Blick
Joshua Mwangala
Esther Mwangala
Wazir Omar
Warid Omar

KIDS have dominated the Uganda motocross team to the first round of FIM East and Central Africa Motocross championship due at Jamuhuri Park in Nairobi this weekend.

The Uganda team of 20 riders has 10 kids between the ages of 5-10 years.
“We didn’t have a sponsor and in this situation many riders had to sponsor themselves. That is why you see many youngsters on board,” team captain Arthur Blick stated after flag off.

Blick further explained that taking a full team would cost them sh16m which they didn’t have.

He was however grateful to the National Council of Sports for the offer of sh2m which he said was a boost to their campaign.

NCS boss Jasper Aligawesa appealed to the riders to put their country ahead while in Kenya.

Kipsiro in camp ahead of IAAF race
Tuesday, 1st March, 2011

Kipsiro has entered camp
By NORMAN KATENDE

MOSES Kipsiro have entered camp in Kapchorwa, as Uganda seeks better fortunes at the IAAF World Cross Country championships. The event is due March 20 in Punta Umbria.

Kipsiro entered camp over the weekend as a full house trained under experienced coach Benjamin Longiross. Longiross is expected to travel with a full team to Spain.

Dorcus Inzikuru is expected to join today.

The national athletics federation last year ruled that all athletes should be in camp at least for a month before the team travels for any international competition. This would help in monitoring their performance.

Longiross will be assisted by Issa Kachembe and Peter Wemayi, according to the athletics federation secretary Beatrice Ayikoru.

Only Annet Negesa and Moses Kibet will leave camp to represent the country in the Africa Cross Country Championships due in Cape Town on Sunday.

Ssebuguzi calms Muwonge’s nerves
Tuesday, 1st March, 2011

The crew of Muwonge and navigator Edmund Kyeyune cruise their Subaru N10 during the super special stage of the Mbarara Rally at Boma ground. Muwonge went on to win the rally
By DOUGLAS MAZUNE

NRC standings
S. Muwonge 100 points
W. Bukenya 75
A. Ashraf 52
E. Munghereza 40
I. Otega 38

FORMER National Rally champion Ronald Ssebuguzi will not tussle with Susan ‘Super Lady’ Muwonge for the national title, opting to concentrate on the East African Challenge.

Ssebuguzi (Mitsubishi Evo9) who missed the Mbarara Rally that Muwonge won last weekend told The New Vision that he had decided to concentrate on the bigger title.

“Initially I wanted to get both titles but I was unable to secure adequate resources to tackle both championships. Susan shouldn’t worry about me now, I will occasionally participate in Uganda just for the purpose of training,” Ssebuguzi remarked.

Ssebuguzi said he expects spare parts for his car in Kampala later this month and will be ready for the regional championship.

The East African Challenge starts in June with the Kenya Safari Rally that will be followed by Pearl of Africa Uganda, Tanzania and Rwanda Mountain Gorilla rallies. These events are also part of the Africa Rally Championship.

Muwonge stunned the male-dominated field when she won in Mbarara to take the lead in the championship. Wycliff Bukenya, Ahmed Ashraf, Edson Munghereza and Ismail Otega complete the top five.

Ponsiano Lwakataka, Godfrey Lubega, Godfrey Kiyaga and reigning national champion Nasser Mutebi are yet to score points but are vying for the national crown.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mugabe storms Kenya Open semi-finals
Thursday, 10th March, 2011

Mugabe's star is soaring
By DOUGLAS MAZUNE

D. Mugabe bt G. Kibet 6-3 6-4
J. Gasigwa bt Y. Rawal 6-3 6-2
F. Rogoi bt I. Shangawa 7-6 6-4 7-5
A. Cooper bt D. Ochieng 7-6 6-3
Women:
S. Shangawa bt R. Musoke 6-2 6-2

UGANDAN Duncan Mugabe broke the hearts of a partisan home crowd in the Kenya Open, inflicting a crushing defeat on homeboy Gilbert Kibet within an hour to book a slot in the semi-final in Nairobi yesterday.

Top seed Mugabe, the only Ugandan to have won the competition in over 30 years, overwhelmed Kibet (No.5) with hard ground shots as he powered his way to a 6-3 6-4 victory.

The 20-year-old lanky Ugandan will be up against Burundian Jean Claude Gasigwa in the semi-final tomorrow.

“My opponent never had a good game and my ground strokes were good. I was more composed and I really hit good shots. He had the home support but they also acknowledged my shots. A good shot is a good shot,” Mugabe commented in a telephone interview with New Vision.

Gasigwa, whose career spans over 15 years ejected Kenyan Yash Rawal 6-3 6-2 to set up clash with the Ugandan youngster.

Teenage star Ishamael Shangawa,15, put up a formidable challenge before succumbing to Francis Rogoi’s tenacity 7-6, 4-6 7-5 in the most exciting quarterfinal contest that earned the youngster respect.

Rogoi’s hard-earned victory over the resilient youngster culminated into a repeat of last year’s semi-final with compatriot Allan Cooper.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mugabe fight for place in Kenya Open
Friday, 11th March, 2011

Mugabe (left) will face Gasigwa (right)
Today,Semi-finals
Men:
D. Mugabe v J. Gasigwa
A. Cooper v F. Rogoi
Women:
C. Oduor v I. Sakina
S. Shufaa v M. Onyankya

DUNCAN Mugabe is seven years younger than 27-year-old Burundian Jean Claude Gasigwa but the Ugandan should have an upper hand over his senior in the Kenya Tennis Open semi-final in Nairobi today.

Mugabe and Gasigwa have met twice at this stage of the competition with each winning once although the Ugandan has shown remarkable improvement with each passing year.

Enroute to winning the Kenya Open last year, Mugabe avenged his 2009 defeat to Gasigwa and he is favoured to triumph over the Burundian again.

“Gasigwa is like any other opponent. I have to remain positive and consistent in the way I play,” Mugabe commented after ejecting Kenyan Gilbert Kibet in the quarter-finals on Thursday.

The other semi-final is also a repeat of the previous edition that saw celebrated Kenyan star Allan Cooper seek to avenge defeat to Francis Rogoi.

In the women’s semifinals, Kenyan top seed Caroline Oduor will face Burundian Sakina Ishirimana. Kenyan Shufa Shangawa will face off with compatriot Michel Onyankya.

The finals will be played tomorrow.

Heathens expected to humiliate Nile
Friday, 11th March, 2011
Today, Rugby League fixtures
Heathens v Nile 3pm
At Kyadondo
Buffaloes v Pirates 5pm
At Kyadondo
Rhinos v Impis 3pm
At Kampala Club
Kobs v Impis 5pm

NILE Special Premier Rugby League leaders Heathens still enjoy an unbeaten run and dealing with the small matter of Nile today should not pose even the slightest of worries.

It is without doubt simply a question of the magnitude of Heathens’ victory given that Nile has managed just two wins this season.

Heathens will rest Benon Kizza, Grace Lubega, Joel Kimuli and Raymond Ssembajjwe but captain Alex Mubiru’s side remains solid.

Cranes captain Mathias Ochwo bounces back from an injury layoff and there could not be a lighter game to help him regain fully fitness.

In his typical no nonsense approach, Mubiru does not expect complacence from the champions.

“All the teams are going to improve in this second round, we take every team serious. Regardless of Nile’s status we are expected to go out there and play our best.”

Ugandans face Hong Kong test
Friday, 11th March, 2011

Franco Nsubuga eyeing a place on the Martin Suji's squad
By Norman Katende

ICC Division 2 World
Cricket League
April 8
Uganda v Hong Kong
April 9
Uganda v Namibia
April 11
Uganda v Bermuda
April 12
Uganda v UAE
April 14
Uganda v PNG

UGANDA has been drawn with Hong Kong in the first game of the Division II World Cricket League set for United Arab Emirates next month.

Hong Kong recently qualified from the Division III Cricket League of the International Cricket Council (ICC) event.
The draws were made on Thursday after teams confirmed their participation in the tournament whose top performers will advance to Division One.

Uganda is ranked third in the tournament having failed to make it to the ICC Inter Continental shield finals last year.
The Ugandan team handled by Kenya's former World Cup player Martin Suji, will play the top two ranked countries in Namibia and UAE after the match against the Hong Kong opposition.

Uganda's team is set to depart for South Africa on tomorrow for a two-week training stint after their last one day 50-over match at Lugogo today.

Suji, who has been handling the players since late December, will gauge the team's abilities at the Lugogo event before departure for South Africa.

In today's game, the national squad will face select players from the league since they cannot make a full team.
Other players are training from South Africa.

The team selected has Roger Mukasa, Akber Baig, Arthur Kyobe, Frank Nsubuga, Banjamin Musoke, Lawrence Ssematimba, Deus Muhumuza, Davis Arinaitwe, Charles Waiswa, Dennis Tabby, Henry Ssenyondo, Ronald Ssemanda and Daniel Ruyange.

Meanwhile, Sri Lanka's record-setting batsman Tillakaratne Dilshan said he is the victim of a smear campaign after he was wrongly accused of having failed a dope test.

Dilshan said it was not the first time he had suffered from such allegations and that he was not even selected for a random test after last weekend's World Cup match against Australia.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Uganda's Mugabe in Kenya Open final

Mugabe (left) will face Allan Cooper

DOUGLAS MAZUNE

KENYA OPEN FINAL
Today, 12pm
Duncan Mugabe v Allan Cooper
Women:
I.Sakina v S.Shangawa

Saturday, semi-final results
D. Mugabe beat J. Gasigwa 6-2 7-5
A. Cooper beat F. Rogoi 2-6, 6-2 6-1
Women
S. Shangawa beat M. Onyankya 7-5 6-3
I. Sakina beat C.Oduor 6-0 5-7 6-2

DUNCAN Mugabe, the sole Ugandan flag-bearer in the Kenya Tennis Open, put on brave face against a much older Burundian Jean Claude Gasigwa, shrugging him off by 6-2 7-5 to storm the final in Nairobi today.

Sipping on a bottle of water throughout the breaks to contain the hot weather, the 20-year-old Mugabe dispatched Gasigwa, 27, in two hours to move a step close to the Ush2.5m top cash prize.

Passionately cheered by the majority of spectators, Mugabe remained unshaken even when the Burundian forced a tie-break in the second set. “I had my serve together and my movement. I was doing fine. I deserved to be in the final,” remarked Mugabe, who seeks to retain the Kenya Open title.

Mugabe, the only Ugandan to win the competition in over 30 years, will be up against Kenyan star Allan Cooper, in the final today.

“If I maintain that kind of game, the final should be okay. I know Allan is a tougher opponent. I have to be more aggressive throughout the match. I am positive about the outcome,” Mugabe stated.

In the women’s category, Shangawa faces Burundian Ishirimana full of confidence derived from her victory over the top seed Michel Onyankya.

Kalule to take charge of Danish youngsters

By James Bakama

UGANDA'S most celebrated boxer Ayub Kalule has landed a lucrative offer to train Denmark’s national youth team.

“I will soon be leaving for Copenhagen to finalise terms of service,” said Kalule who took up the offer recently on a visit to Denmark.

He said he had initially been asked to coach the senior side but declined.

“I felt it better to develop young talents. These are usually the best students. They learn faster,” noted Kalule.

Kalule has strong links in Denmark where he is a legend. He was together with another Ugandan boxer Moustapha Wasajja based in Copenhagen under renowned promoter Morgens Palle.

Kalule’s 14-year stay in Europe climaxed in October 1979 when he travelled to Japan where defeated Masashi Kudo to became the new WBA junior middleweight champion.

As an amateur, Kalule won a World Championship gold medal in 1974. He struck gold again at the Commonwealth Games the same year.

Uganda opens with Hong Kong, Five games in SA
Friday, 11 March 2011 20:05

(Uganda will be looking for such celebrations in the Division II)The national cricket team will play five games in their build up to the ICC Division II Cricket league in Dubai in April.Uganda will open the Division II tournament with a match against Hong Kong, as they fight to qualify for the Division I cricket league, which has always eluded them. The division comes with a more development grant and an opportunity to play more international games.
According to a release form Martin Ondeko, the Uganda Cricket Association administrative officer, the five games in Porchefstroom, South Africa are aimed at giving the team a final tune up for the action.
“The games will be against seasoned clubs in the Northwest cricket association. The players will also have better training facilities and a chance to play against sides with more experienced players,” he said of the team that departs Sunday for the two week tour.
The team of 13 will be handled by the two national coaches, Kenyan Martin Suji and South African Conrad Shukri.
The two have been training different players in Kampala and South Africa respectively, and they are expected to combine ideas on how best to develop the players so that they reach the acquired Division II standard.
They will both be part of Uganda’s technical team in South Africa.
Uganda is ranked third in the tournament of six nations, the same rank they had in the Inter Continental shield trophy. They failed to make it to the finals, which were contested for by Namibia and United Arab Emirates.
Uganda’s squad due in South Africa and later UAE has Roger Mukasa, Akber Baig, Arthur Kyobe, Frank Nsubuga, Banjamin Musoke, Lawrence Ssematimba, Deus Muhumuza, Davis Arinaitwe, Charles Waiswa, Dennis Tabby, Henry Ssenyondo, Ronald Ssemanda and Daniel Ruyange.

ICC Division II Uganda fixtures
Uganda v Hong Kong (Apr 8)
Uganda v Namibia (April 9)
Uganda v Bermuda (April 11)
Uganda v UAE (Apr 12)
Uganda v PNG (Apr 14)

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Which president will improve local sport?
Sports
Written by John Vianney Nsimbe
Thursday, 17 February 2011 03:56
As Ugandans prepare to vote for their next president tomorrow, taxes, jobs, security, medical care and education will be the overriding issues on which to premise their choice.

But this being the sixth general election in the history of Uganda, isn’t it time that sports lovers had a say in raising the stakes?

Proline landmark

Early this month, the minister of Lands, Omara Atubo, handed Proline Soccer Academy a 30-acre land title to aid the academy’s protracted move to build a football training facility to groom close to 500 children into future footballers.

Such a donation wins the NRM government top marks in as far as support to sports is concerned. It came on the back of state dinners to successful athletes like Docus Inzikuru and bus donations to The Cranes and SC Villa as well as a promise to build a school in Moses Kipsiro’s home area (Bukwo, Kapchorwa) thanks to his dizzying displays at the XIX Commonwealth Games.

However, all these moves have come as one-offs and aren’t documented government policies for sport. Museveni gives as he wishes. The Inter Party Cooperation Presidential candidate, Kizza Besigye, put it another way when he said that Museveni only supports sports to gain political capital.

Besigye says his approach will be different; he plans to fund athletes’ preparations and also construct regional training centres other than waiting to come out when the athlete has succeeded.

Surprisingly, Bidandi Ssali, the People’s Progressive Party presidential candidate and a former football administrator at KCC and The Cranes, doesn’t give sports profound coverage in his manifesto much to the astonishment of Peter Kibazo, the general secretary of KCC FC.

Kibazo believes sport has got a raw deal in the run-up to the presidential polls. He cannot, for one, comprehend why government continues to levy 18% VAT on sports activities and equipment including donations, many of which sports associations have failed to clear at customs.

Inadequate funding

Notably, the annual national budget only gives sports Shs 1.2bn per year, yet the Federation of Uganda Football Associations budgets for Shs 2bn annually. Because of little funding, most sports have relied on some corporate sponsorship.

In 2008, when Team Uganda headed for the Beijing Olympics, they received $94,000 from government. In comparison, the Kenyan government invested $2.5 million in their 2008 Olympic team.

John Nagenda, a senior Presidential advisor, told The Observer recently that the president can’t be blamed for the small funding to sports because he has a million things to take care of in the country.

Nagenda, the immediate past chairman of the Uganda Lawn Tennis Association (ULTA), quickly added that once the oil exploration starts, there will be more money to support sports too. That’s quite a bold prediction from someone who didn’t receive any government funding during his three years as ULTA supremo.

Creating a national fund

But DP’s Norbert Mao pledges that given the mandate, he’ll create a fund for national, regional and international games and sports events. This will stop our teams from withdrawing from major events due to lack of money. Athletes that are well motivated normally succeed.

Investment Vs sport

Over the last few years, we’ve witnessed the grabbing of fields in the city, given to investors to construct buildings. Game stores in Lugogo are seated on what used to be community fields. Stadiums like Pece (Gulu), Mbale and Bugembe are in a horrible state today because of neglect.

Mao says he would develop and rehabilitate community sports fields around the country. This has been done in Rwanda and sports development is up there. Rwanda hosted the under-17 Africa football championships last month while the Uganda government can’t even provide funds to host the Cecafa.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Uganda's Mugabe wins Kenya Open
Sunday, 13th March, 2011

Duncan Mugabe celebrates a win during a Futures tournament
By Douglas Mazune

Final
MEN: D. Mugabe bt A. Cooper
6-2 6-2
WOMEN: S. Shangawa bt I. Sakina 4-6 7-5 7-6(2)

A second consecutive Kenya Open title for Ugandan Duncan Mugabe yesterday left the tennis fraternity in no doubt about his superiority.

The 20-year-old Mugabe, who became the only Ugandan in over 30 years to win the Kenya Open last year, showed it was no fluke when he humbled local hero Allan Cooper by 6-2 6-2 to take home the sh2.5m top cash prize.

The hitherto domineering Kenyans were convinced beyond doubt after Cooper fell with relative ease.

“I don’t think there is anybody who can beat Mugabe in East Africa. The high altitude in Nairobi also suits his style because the ball is really fast,” tournament referee Patrick Kamuhya told he New Vision by telephone.

That Mugabe crushed Cooper in just 55 minutes, mesmerized local spectators who immediately turned to the women’s final that lasted three hours and six minutes.

The Ugandan star, who received tips from his manager Cedric Babu by phone shortly before he took to the courts, acknowledged that the game plan paid off.

“He is good at rallying so I made my balls short. I didn’t want to use a lot of energy and I was aggressive with no risks,” Mugabe commented.

Enroute to the final Mugabe, ejected Kenyan Gilbert Kibet and Rwandan Jean Claude Gasigwa - seven years his senior.

The women’s final gave the hosts reason to celebrate as Shufaa Shangawa beat Burundian Sakina Ishirimana 4-6 7-5 7-6(2).

Focus shifts to the Uganda Open that gets underway in Kampala tomorrow.

Mugabe beats Cooper to lift second Kenya Open title
By Innocent Ndawula (email the author)

Posted Monday, March 14 2011 at 00:00
Kampala

Ugandan Duncan Mugabe defeated home boy Allan Cooper in straight sets to lift his second career Kenya Open title in Nairobi yesterday. Mugabe and Cooper are good friends as well as training partners but the Ugandan youngster was in demolition mode, romping to a 6-2, 6-2 victory.

The duo paired to win the men’s doubles against Kenyan Franics Rogoi and Rwandan Jean Claude Gasigwa but Mugabe showed more hunger as he stream rolled his partner to pick his second successive title and pocket the Shs2.5m cash prize.

Mugabe beat Rogoi to win last year’s Kenya Open. “Duncan is in another class. There was always going to be one winner from the start. The results show that it was a one-sided game,” Mugabe’s manager Cedric Babu said.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lugogo boy shocks Rogoi
Wednesday, 16th March, 2011

David Oringa could not hide his excitement after flooring Kenyan ace Rogoi
By Douglas Mazune

AFTER a fruitless Kenya tennis Open in Nairobi last week Kenyan star Francis Rogoi dashed to Kampala hoping to make amends in the Uganda Open.

But it was not to be as he crashed to a humiliating defeat to Kololo SS schoolboy David Oringa. The 18-year old took time off his studies to upstage Rogoi 6-4 7-5 before a baying home crowd at Lugogo yesterday.

Rogoi, who was ejected by compatriot Allan Cooper at the semifinal stage of the Kenya Open, suffered a more humbling exit in Kampala.

Unseeded Oringa advanced to the quarterfinals of the Castle Lite sponsored tournament where he will take on another Kenyan Denis Ochieng today.

While spectators were pleasantly surprised by Oringa’s victory, renowned tennis coach John Oduke saw it coming.

“Oringa has improved a lot of recent so I wasn’t surprised at all. His forehand is very strong. I knew he would cause trouble to the big-shots,” Oduke, who nurtured Oringa, commented.

Defending champion Duncan Mugabe who is seeded second ejected Rwandan Matayo Uwizimana 6-1 6-2 to set up a quarterfinal tie with another Rwandan Olivier Nkunda.

Top seed Herbert Buyinza defeated Bruno Ouma 6-4 6-2 and will face Rwanda’s Dieu-Dunne Habiyambere in the quarterfinals.

The quarterfinal match between Rwandan Jean Claude Gasigwa and Kenyan Allan Cooper is expected to be the highlight of the day.

Alot at stake at Division two Cricket League
By Charles Mutebi and Norman Katende

UGANDA'S national cricket side will have to wait a little longer for a result during their two-week tour to South Africa, after the first game was washed out as Uganda chased a 220-run target.

Uganda was at 88 for two in their chase before the clouds opened.

The match was one of the many lined up for Uganda, as they build up for the Division II World Cricket League due in Dubai next month. The top performers will advance to the Division I league with a direct chance to play in the 2013 World Cup qualifiers.

Uganda travelled to South Africa on Sunday for a two-week training with more established sides.

Uganda’s final placing at the Dubai event will also determine whether the Uganda Cricket Association maintains access to of millions of shillings in funding from world body ICC.

The ICC’s grant over the last year or so has been hovering under $1m, a matchless package across Uganda’s sports landscape. The battle is now on to preserve it.

“Our performance will make the difference between (receiving and missing out on) $300,000 – $500,000,” said one UCA source.

“If we finish in the top two, we will qualify for the ICC’s High Performance Programme which means we are entitled to all that money.”

NCS rescues team

NCS boss Jasper Aligaweesa (left) hands over the national flag to team captains Moses Kipsiro (middle) and Annet Negesa as long distance coach Benjamin Longiros (with cap) looks on
By Norman Katende

NATIONAL Council of Sports made a last minute intervention to the national cross country team with an offer of four air tickets for Sunday’s World Cross Country championships in Spain.

Council’s secretary Jasper Aligawesa, who handed over the tickets worth sh13.8m, said they needed to share the little they have as a way of supporting athletics.

Aligawesa later flagged off the team to be captained by Moses Kipsiro for the men and Annet Negesa for women. He urged them to fly Uganda’s national flag high by capping good performances.

The first batch of athletes
departed yesterday for the Spanish city of Punta Umbria, where the international event will take place. They will be joined by their colleagues today.

Only athletics won medals at the Delhi Commonwealth Games last year and they have managed to win a medal at each world cross country event for the past five years.

Canadian Karl Keirstead offered the junior women four tickets, while the international athletics body will also offer four tickets to the team of 18 athletes and coach Benjamin Longiros.

The federation has secured the other tickets on credit, according to UAF president Dominic Otuchet.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mugabe now takes Uganda open

(Duncan Mugabe retained the Kenya and Uganda open in two weeks time) Duncan Mugabe is soon becoming the regional tennis king.
This he did by beating Kenyan Allan Cooper for the second time in less than two weeks to retain the Castle Lite Uganda Tennis Open men’s title at Lugogo.
The 20-year-old upcoming star beat Cooper in the Kenyan open final to retain the title, and everyone felt that it was more a fluke.
To prove that it might be a one off, Cooper boarded the next flight to Kampala to see that he at least beats Mugabe at Lugogo, where he started playing tennis at a tender age during the holiday clinics for primary school pupils.
Cooper got on track by beating Rwandan Dieu-Donne Habiyambere in straight sets to have his dream of inflicting damage against Mugabe on line in the finals.
But it was a different story all together, finding himself down 6-1 after the first set. He fought hard to at least pull one back and he nearly made it having reached 3-5, before Mugabe looked at the passionate crowd that had turned up to support him.
He nibbled at his thumb, played around with his racket and it all meant business and seriousness.
From then, he never looked back until he took the second set 7-6 (5) to set the crowd wild and him being left to celebrate for another title.
“I am eyeing more titles. It is getting harder and I have to improve on my training,” he said.
Results
Men:
D. Mugabe bt A .Cooper 6-1 7-6 (5)
Semifinal results:
D. Mugabe bt D. Ochieng 6-0 6-1
A. Cooper bt D. Habiyambere 6-2 6- 2

Kipsiro wants a gold medal

(Kipsiro wants a gold medal at the World Cross country championships) Moses Kipsiro came out openly and told the whole world “I want a gold medal at this year’s World Cross country championships.”
And though not regarded as the favourite this time around, with the Kenyans and the Ethiopians being looked at as the favourites, Kipsiro says that the time is now for him to rule the world.
“I have been winning silver (2009) and bronze (2010) and I believe that the time is now for me to win something bigger. I am going for gold and I am coming for it,” he told the international press conference at a joint press conference held at the Barcelo Beach Hotel in Punta Umbria, 2 km from the cross country course.
Kipsiro rues the poor race planning as the cause for his failure to win international gold medals, winning two silver medals at the World Intercontinental championships.
“I will be planning for the race. I will not give them pace. I want to win gold so that it springs me to better races,” he said.
Kipsiro’s advantage is that all former champions are not participating in the race, but Kenya’s Geoffrey Mutai and Ethiopia’s Hunegaw Mesfin- last year’s silver medalist have showed that they are in good form by winning their respective national trials last month. Kipsiro also won the Uganda national trial, but did not compete in any international circuit. In fact he has been out of international competition ever since he won a double gold medal at the Commonwealth Games.

Kipsiro’s golden chance in Spain
By Sande Bashaija (email the author)

Posted Sunday, March 20 2011 at 00:00
Kampala

Today (world xtry)
LIVE ON SS5, 11am
Individual cash prizes
1st - Shs69m
2nd - Shs34m
3rd – Shs23m
4th – Shs16m
5th – Shs11m
6th - Shs6.9m
Team cash prizes
1st – Shs46m
2nd – Shs36m
3rd – Shs27m
4th – Sh23m
5th – Shs18m

Moses Kipsiro has complained of injury going into today’s World Cross-country Championships in Punta Umbria, Spain but those who know him better will not listen to his cries. He is one runner who knows how to take pressure off his shoulders by claiming to be unfit or injured. And it has worked for him before.

He is usually counted off and ends up pulling off surprise wins. When Kipsiro lines up for the 12m senior men’s race this morning, cameras will probably focus on Kenyan and Ethiopian runners, who have shared World Cross-country glory over the years.

But a surprise could be in the bag for them. From silver in 2009 and bronze last year, Kipsiro is now the favourite to take gold even with Kenya fielding policeman Geoffrey Mutai and Ethiopia calling on Hunegaw Mesfin. “I think he can win it if the weather and course favour him,” coach Benjamin Longiross, who travelled with the team on Wednesday told Sunday Monitor.

“Kipsiro’s biggest weapon is now confidence. He feels he can take on anyone, which is good.” Longiross will ask other team members Geoffrey Kusuro, Stephen Kiprotich, Dickson Huru and Moses Kibet to try and shield Kipsiro even though they may not be able to keep up with the pace for long. “We must try to run as a team,” Longiross, a former long distance runner, emphasised.

The senior team and their female counterparts have an extra motivating factor with hefty cash prizes at stake for top performers. With many non-East African countries not so strong in distance running, Uganda’s senior women, who are making only their second time can fancy their chances of finishing in the money bracket. But that will all depend on how Annet Negesa and Rebecca Cheptengei fare in their first World Cross-country (8km) race as seniors.

Negesa finished 14th last year and Cheptengei 15th, guiding the junior team to junior bronze in Poland. There are no cash prizes for the junior men (8km) and junior women (6km) but all runners will be hoping to leave a mark on the world stage.
Full squad
Senior men: Kipsiro, Kiprotich, Kusuro, Huru and Kibet
Senior women: Negesa, Cheptengei, Janet Achola, Juliet Chekwel, and Viola Chemos
Junior women: Doreen Chesang, Nancy Cheptengei, Farnice Chemutai and Stella Chesang

Ugandan Duncan Mugabe is champion

Mugabe in action during the Uganda Open

By Douglas Mazune

Uganda Tennis Open
D. Mugabe bt A.Cooper 6-1 7-6 (5)

UGANDAN Duncan Mugabe rose and shone on the big stage again, shrugging off a spirited challenge from Kenyan Allan Cooper to retain the Castle Lite Uganda Tennis Open at Lugogo yesterday.

Mugabe, who beat the same opponent to retain the Kenya Open in Nairobi last weekend employed his powerful serve to humble Cooper, much to the amusement of a cheering home crowd that almost filled the pavilion at centre court.

The 20-year-old Mugabe seemed destined for a quick job when he took the first set 6-1 but vastly experienced Cooper made Mugabe sweat for the second set and even caused many tense moments among the home supporters.

Mugabe recovered from 3-5 in the second set to take it 7-6 (5) and win the tournament and fans dashed to the bar to celebrate.

The final moment of the match that last one hour 20 minutes as expected produced contrasting emotions with religious Mugabe making a sign of the cross while a dejected Cooper flung his racket, picked it up, packed his bag and walked off court.

“I am grateful to the fans for supporting me and the sponsors for funding the tournament. We had a great tournament and everybody that participated did their best including upcoming people like David Oringa who reached the quarterfinals,” Mugabe stated.

The women’s final between Kenyans Shufaa Changawa and Caroline Oduor was yet to be played by press time last night.

The final was postponed from morning to afternoon following an early morning rain that left the courts wet.

Hunt for Gold

ByNorman Katende in Punta Umbria

Today, Live on SS7
World X-Country schedule
J.Women: 1.30pm, (6km)
Junior men: 2pm, (8km)
S.Women: 2:45pm, (8km)
Senior Men: 3:40pm, (12km)

MOSES Kipsiro is determined to help Uganda win her first gold medal in the World Cross country championships. The event will take place at the Coastal City of Punta Umbria, Spain.

Kipsiro, who won a bronze medal in last year’s event in Bydgoszcz, Poland and a silver medal in Amman, Jordan in 2009 is ready to keep his promise of striking gold at the World cross country championships.

He promised this after striking double gold at the Commonwealth Games that were held in India last year.

“Man those athletes are tough, but I will also plan for them,” said Kipsiro, who rarely comments about the race.

He is expected to use the services of Stephen Kiprotich, Geoffrey Kusuro and Moses Kibet —athletes who have matured through the youth ranks to junior and now senior level for back up. Although Kipsiro suffered from a knee injury before the national cross country championships held in Jinja last month, he believes that there is a window to succeed this time. Uganda has won gold in all the other IAAF events save for the cross country and Indoor events. “This is a big stage. It is not about the history but how you plan,” said Kipsiro on his chances of winning.

“For the first time I can say that most of our athletes are eyeing medals,” said national coach Benjamin Longiross.

Negesa confident
After walking through the world cross country route on Friday, the women’s captain Annet Negesa said: “It has grass all through and few obstacles. It is the best I have come across,” she added.

The national team arrived here in batches on Friday, but Longiross is not worried about the time spent on the journey.

National team
Senior women: Janet Achola, Juliet Chekwel, Viola Chemos, Annet Negesa, Rebecca Cheptagei
Junior women: Nancy Cheptagei, Fanis Chemutai, Stella Chesang, D.Sande

Senior men: Moses Kipsiro, Stephen Kiprotich, Dickson Huru, Geoffrey Kusuro and Moses Kibet

Junior men: Peter Kibet, Jacob Araptany, Daniel Rotich, Philip Kipyego, Thomas Ayeko

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Duncan Mugabe win Ugandan open
the region strongest tennis player Uganda's Duncan Mugabe aged 20 had won the Ugandan open and Kenyan open in two weeks . he is referred to as Ugandas nadal and the young stars has claimed the top spot in the eac.

the final was played at lugogo main court

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Kiprotich leads Uganda seniors
Sunday, 20th March, 2011

The Uganda senior team pose on the podium after being awarded the team bronze medals. Uganda finished third overall behind Kenya and Ethiopia
By Norman Katende in Punta Umbria, Spain

MANY had placed their bet on Moses Kipsiro. But Stephen Kiprotich became Uganda’s best performer, settling for sixth place and an individual sh6m cash prize as the World Cross Country Championships concluded in Punta Umbria, Spain yesterday.

The Uganda senior team of Kiprotich, Kipsiro, Geoffrey Kusuro, Dickson Huru and Moses Kibet finished third overall to win a bronze medal and a cash prize of sh27m.

The senior women team that came sixth, won sh8m.

Kiprotich hung on with the lead pack as Uganda’s and one of the race favourites Moses Kipsiro –– who had kept with the front four for some time, fell back after experiencing a back pain.

With Kipsiro struggling Kiprotich would prove no match for the leaders in the final stretch even though his was a respectable finish.

Kipsiro hung on to finish 11th overall before being taken for treatment.

“I cannot say whether it started in the race. We shall get more information after he returns from the treatment,” said Uganda athletics federation secretary Beatrice Ayikoru. Junior runner Jacob Araptany represented Kipsiro at the team medal awarding ceremony.

“I just do not know what happened,” said Kipsiro.

Other athletes on the team also complained of back pain and the coach expressed concern.

Team Uganda bag bronze, Shs27m

Ayeko (R) picked silver in the junior men’s 8km race in Spain yesterday. LEFT: Kipsiro struggled. PHOTOS: ISMAIL KEZAALA

By Sande Bashaija (email the author)

Posted Monday, March 21 2011 at 00:00
12km senior men’s results
1. Imana Marga (ETH) 33:50
2.Paul Tanui (KEN) 33:52
3. Vincent Chepkok (KEN) 33:53
6. S. Kiprotich (UGA) 34:07
11. Moses Kipsiro(UGA) 34:31
13. Geoffrey Kusuro(UGA) 35:06
19. Dickson Huru(UGA) 35:31
22.Moses Kibet(UGA) 35:34
8km senior women
1. Vivian Cheruiyot (KEN) 24:58
2. Linet Masai(KEN) 25:07
22.Juliet Chekwel(UGA) 26:37
32. Janet Achola(UGA) 27:03
38. Viola Chemos(UGA) 27:09
56. R. Cheptengei(UGA) 27:38
66. Annet Negesa(UGA) 27:56
8km junior men
1. G. Kamworor (KEN) 18:53
2. Thomas Ayeko(UGA) 22:32
9. Jackob Araptany(UGA) 22:03
15. Peter Kibet(UGA) 23:21
24. Phillip Kipyego(UGA) 23:50
25. Daniel Rotich(UGA) 23:52
6km junior women
1.Faith Kipyego (KEN) 18:53
2. Genet Yalew(ETH) 18:54
18. Nancy Cheptegei(UGA) 20:17
20. P. Chemutai(UGA) 20:19
33. Doreen Sande(UGA) 20:58
39. Stella Chesang(UGA) 21:16
Team cash prizes
Kenya Shs46m
Ethiopia Shs36m
Uganda Shs27m
Eritrea Sh23m

Stephen Kiprotich finished an impressive sixth to help Uganda win her second ever senior team medal - a bronze at the World Cross-country Championships held yesterday in Punta Umbria, Spain.

Kiprotich’s performance earned him a Shs6.9m cash prize and to some extent masked Moses Kipsiro’s no-show in the 12km race.
Kipsiro, a bronze medallist last year and silver medallist in 2009, was among the favourites for gold but finished a distant 11th in 34:31.

Kiprotich, who finished second to Kipsiro at the national cross-country in Jinja last month, made a perfect start with the leaders and surprisingly held on to finish in 34:07. Ethiopian Imana Marga won the race in 33:50.

Kipsiro travelled to Spain looking to add to the two long distance Commonwealth Games gold medals he won in India last year but ran out of steam heading into the last of the six 2km laps.

Geoffrey Kusuro came 13th and Dickson Huru 19th for the team to regain the bronze, which they last won in 2007. The team performance came with a reward of Shs27m. Kenya, who won all the team titles but the junior women, bagged Shs46m and Ethiopia Shs36m.

Earlier, national champion Thomas Ayeko had pulled off another stellar performance to win silver in the junior men’s 8km race. Ayeko squeezed into the leading pack dominated by Kenyans and Ethiopians to earn the junior team a bronze medal.

Kenya took gold and Ethiopia silver. Junior runners are, however, not entitled to cash prizes. The women teams were less impressive with both finishing sixth. Annet Negesa was the worst performer, coming 66th in 8km.

Squad picked
By John Ssentamu (email the author)

Posted Monday, March 21 2011 at 00:00
IN SUMMARY

Uganda national volleyball coach Tom Mutebi has named the team to play at the All Africa Games qualifiers that get underway on Thursday in Kigali, Rwanda.

Mutebi made the selection after watching his team humble a select side 3-0 at Makerere University Business School (Mubs) grounds on Saturday.

Players on the 14-man tentative squad to be trimmed depending on the availability of funds, will play another friendly game against Ndejje University Sharing Youth grounds, Nsambya today.

Despite the arrangements to have the team travel to Kigali, Uganda Volleyball Federation (UVF) are still financially challenged.

“Uganda Olympic Committee cleared the registration but we still have a few issues to handle,” UVF technical director Godwin Ssenyondo said. UVF are hoping that National Council of Sports and sports commissioner Dan Tamwesigire come to their rescue by today.

Squad: T. Lakony (captain),
N. Dheyongera, D. Opio,
E. Kato, D. Otim, J.Endra,
A. Gaayi, M. Waiswa, G. Tamale,
A. Nduhukire, M. Okiror, J.
Chestit, I. Omedo, J. Kawenyera.

UOC plots for the London 2012 Games
Sunday, 20th March, 2011
By James Bakama

THE Uganda Olympic Committee will next month resume meetings for the London 2012 Olympics.

The programme starts on April 4 with a meeting between officials from the visa section of the Games organising committee, the British High Commission and UOC.

UOC president Rogers Ddungu confirmed that they will host the first meeting at the committee’s Lugogo office on April 4.

“We want to address all matters to do with visas,” explained Ddungu, who will consequently meet officials from government, National Council of Sports and local federations.

A recent meeting named a team to draw a road map for the Games. These included Ddungu himself, National Council of Sports assistant general secretary Nicholas Muramagi and the respective table tennis and volleyball heads, Dennis Galabuzi and Sadiq Nasiwu. Archery, athletics, boxing, badminton, basketball, canoeing, cycling, soccer, handball, hockey, rowing, shooting, swimming, table tennis, tae-kwon-do, tennis, volleyball, weightlifting and wrestling are the disciplines tentatively listed for the Uganda team.

Cooper Ponders Coaching Role

Duncan Mugabe defied the odds again

Castle Lite Uganda Open
D. Mugabe bt A. Cooper 6-1 7-6 (5)
After losing the Uganda Open Tennis finals to Uganda’s top seed Duncan Mugabe at Lugogo Tennis Club in a space of seven days, Kenyan veteran Allan Cooper has decided to concentrate on his coaching career. “I have been playing tennis for quite some time now and it’s time to give back to the Kenyans but am not ruling out playing again,” said Cooper.
The finals were shifted from the morning to evening due to a waterlogged pitch. Allan Cooper, who is Duncan Mugabe’s training partner, looked stronger than he was in Nairobi last week where he was beaten in straight sets. His stronger performance saw Mugabe recovering from 3-5 in the second set to take it 7-6 (5) and win the tournament.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mugabe is headed for busy schedule
Monday, 21st March, 2011

Mugabe lifts his Uganda Open trophy after he beat Kenyan Cooper in the final on Saturday
By DOUGLAS MAZUNE

DUNCAN Mugabe’s success in the Kenya and Uganda Open tennis tournaments have helped him shake off the pre-season rust ahead of a tough international calendar.

The events in which he twice overcame credible challenge from Kenyan ace Allan Cooper was but just a warm up for a gruelling international schedule that starts with a Futures professional circuit in Turkey next week.

Kinetic Management Group (KMG) that manages the 20-year-old Ugandan will have to part with $10,000 (sh24m) to facilitate his travel and eight-week stay in Turkey.

“There are indications that Mugabe will have a good season this year. We hope at the end of the eight weeks in Turkey his ITF ranking will have improved. He’s not going to Turkey to make money but to improve his ranking,” KMG boss Cedric Babu explained. The winner of each the four circuits will earn $2000 (sh4.8m). Travel costs alone will cost $1500 (sh3.5m).

“We are working around the clock to see that he leaves on Sunday. He is a very gifted player. We hope that in three years he will start earning big,” Babu stated.

After Turkey, Mugabe will return to Kampala for a short break before he leaves for Florida in USA for high performance training with his coach Mark Wellington. He will then compete in the Futures tournaments in USA mid-year.

He aims to break into the top 400 of International Tennis Federation (ITF) ranking at the end of this season after which he will be eligible to compete in the Challengers. At Challengers level one earns $2000 (sh4.8m) for every round they win and takes home at least $20,000 (sh48m) for a win.

The next level is the ATP where winning a round fetches $10,000 and victory earns one at least $100,000.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Mugabe in California
Published on March 29, 2011 by The Razor Newspaper · View Comments

Uganda and East Africa’s top tennis player Duncan Mugabe is in San Francisco, California, undergoing a body conditioning system aimed at improving his power. Mugabe is in camp with Mark Wellington, a tennis performance specialist in the field of athletic performance training.

Duncan Mugabe
The British born Wellington has coached world class athletes such as Maria Sharapova (2004 Wimbledon champion), Victoria Azarenka (top 10 women’s tennis player), Martin Verkerk (French open finalist) as well as top basketball (NBA) and American football (NFL) players.
“The purpose of him going to camp is to rebuild his game and seek to become a really great player,” Cedric Babu, his manager, said recently. “After undergoing the training and conditioning, his game will improve.”
Mugabe is also expected to play several ITF/Futures tournaments in the USA and Turkey.

The Ugandan tennis ace aims to break into the top 400 in the International Tennis Federation (ITF) ranking at the end of this season to be eligible to compete in the Challengers. At Challengers level one earns US$2000 (Shs4.8m) for every round won, taking home at least US$20,000 (Shsh48m) for an outright win.
The next level is the ATP where winning a round fetches US$10,000 and victory at least US$100,000.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Cricket team flies out for Dubai tourney
Sunday, 3rd April, 2011

The Uganda national cricket team led by coach Martin Suji (second right) carry their luggage to the bus on their way to Entebbe
By NORMAN KATENDE

ICC Division II WCL fixtures
Apr 8: Uganda v H. Kong
Apr 9: Uganda v Namibia
Apr 11: Uganda v Bermuda
Apr 12: Uganda v UAE
Apr 14: Uganda v PNG

NATIONAL cricket coach Martin Suji has promised to build on Uganda’s bowling and fielding strengths so that the team qualifies for the Inter Continental Cup.

Uganda needs to finish among the top two in the Division II World Cricket League that starts on Friday in the United Arab Emirates, to qualify for the Intercontinental Cup. Previously, the Uganda team has been taking part in the Intercontinental Shield.

A team of 14 players and four officials flew out yesterday for United Arab Emirates, where the one week tournament will take place.

They were flagged off by National Council of Sports general secretary Jasper Aligawesa, who also offered the team $2,000 (sh4.6m) towards their upkeep while in Dubai.

Suji played down history that Uganda has always fallen to Namibia and UAE, the most recent being in the inter-continental shield when they failed to reach the finals.

“There is a big difference between a three-day game and a one day game. The biggest element is the mental approach and we are ready for the tournament,” he said.

“Our strength is in the bowling and fielding. We have also been working on the batting but we will use our strengths to help us soar,” said Suji. He will be joined by South African Conrad Shukri in the team’s technical wing.

Justine Ligyalingi travelled as the team manager while Vivian Namata is the team physio.

The team: R. Mukasa, A. Baig, A. Kyobe, F. Nsubuga, B. Musoke, L. Ssematimba, D. Muhumuza, D. Arinaitwe, C. Waiswa, R. Otim, H. Saleh, H. Ssenyondo, R. Ssemanda and D. Ruyange.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Uganda ready for Division II assualt
Written by Normad Katende font size Print E-mail

National coach Martin Suji has promised to build on Uganda ’s bowling and fielding strengths, so that the team qualifies for the Inter Continental cup action.
Uganda needs to finish among the top two in the Division II World cricket league that starts on Friday to qualify for the inter continental cup and finish among the top four to stay in the Division II league.
The team of 14 players and a four-man technical team flew out yesterday for United Arab Emirates, where the one week tournament will take place at the different venues. They were flagged off by National Council of sports general secretary Jasper Aligawesa, who gave them $2,000 (sh4.4m) to contribute towards their upkeep and allowances.
“Our strength is the bowling and fielding. We have also been working on the batting but we will use this strength to help us soar,” said Suji, who will be joined by South Africa based Conrad Shukri in Dubai .
Justine Ligyalingi travelled as the team manager while Vivian Namatta travelled as the team Physio.
Suji played down history that Uganda has always fallen to Namibia and UAE, the most recent being in the inter-continental shield when they failed to reach the finals.
“There is a big difference between a three-day game and a one day game. The biggest element is the mental approach and we are ready for the tournament,” he said.
The team: Roger Mukasa, Akber Baig, Arthur Kyobe, Frank Nsubuga, Benjamin Musoke, Lawrence Ssematimba, Deus Muhumuza, Davis Arinaitwe, Charles Waiswa, Raymond Otim, Hamza Saleh, Henry Ssenyondo, Ronald Ssemanda and Daniel Ruyange.
ICC Division II Cricket league fixtures
Uganda v Hong Kong (Apr 8)
Uganda v Namibia (April 9)
Uganda v Bermuda (April 11)
Uganda v UAE (Apr 12)
Uganda v PNG (Apr 14)

Kids athletics back at Lugogo Featured
Written by Normad Katende font size Print E-mail Be the first to comment!

More kids will be introduced to the game
Over 1200 children are being targeted for to be introduced to sports at the Lugogo game stores on Saturday. The move is a brain child of the education and sports ministry, who have combined efforts with a number of national sports federation and organisations to introduce sports to children.
In a mission which has been dubbed Kids Move, German technical sports expert to Uganda Gunter Lange has joined hands with the national soccer and athletics federation to organise events that will attract pupils from the neighbouring schools to try out the different sports activities, by using materials that can be made at home.
“What we want is to introduce them to sports not in a competitive but through a way that it is enjoyed. At the end of the day, we want them to do whatever we will be doing and as time goes on, they will automatically become competitive,” explained Lange.
The event has already been boosted by Rwenzori Mineral water, who are offering mineral water to the participants and Shoprite Lugogo, who are offering an apple to each of the participants and are catering for the space costs.
The children will jump hurdles, and get skills in penalty taking, shooting, throw in among other events.

Uganda goes down to Hong Kong in opener
Friday, 8th April, 2011

Raymond Otim in a practice session before the team's departure for the Dubai event
By CHARLES MUTEBI

DIVISION 2 WORLD CRICKET
Hong Kong 204
Uganda 178
Hong Kong win by 26 runs

TODAY: 9AM
Uganda v Namibia

A new-look batting order failed to shield Uganda from defeat to Hong Kong on the opening day of the Division II World Cricket League in Dubai yesterday.

Uganda had victory in their grasp for two thirds of the contest before a typical batting collapse handed Hong Kong a 26-run victory.

Having bowled out Hong Kong for 204 runs, Uganda failed to strike the killer blow when Roger Mukasa and Frank Nsubuga laid the foundation with a second-wicket partnership of 88 runs.

Mukasa top-scored for Uganda with 52 runs and Nsubuga justified his promotion up the batting line with a quick-fire 37 that made defeat for Hong Kong almost certain.

But it all went for pear-shaped for Uganda when Mukasa was trapped lbw by Nizakat Khan (4-14). From 104-3, Uganda fell to 178/10 with two overs to go.

Akbar Baig, Benjamin Musoke and Lawrence Ssematimba were all moved down the middle order with Davis Arinaitwe propelled several places to number four.

The result was individual scores of 18, 9, 14 and 10 respectively.

Still, Uganda’s meagre runs might have been sufficient if the bowling attack had prevented the eighth-wicket stand that took Hong Kong from 107 to 181 in 12.3 overs.

Uganda will be back in action against Namibia today.

Associates furious with ICC resolution
http://www.monitor.co.ug/image/view/-/1141078/highRes/251768/-/maxw/600/-/n52odlz/-/cricket001pix.jpg
UNFAIR DECISION: Roger Mukasa and his Ugandan teammates have been denied a chance to compete for a slot at the 2015 World Cup. PHOTO: INNOCENT NDAWULA

By INNOCENT NDAWULA (email the author)

Posted Saturday, April 9 2011 at 00:00
In the wake of International Cricket Council (ICC)’s resolution to limit the 2015 World Cup to just 10 teams, every emerging Associate nation is understandably furious. They have blasted the sport’s world governing body, saying their decision is ‘short sighted and a step backward for the game’.

The day ICC made the decision (Tuesday April 5) has been christened a ‘black day for sport’ by many.
Ireland skipper William Porterfield referred to the decision as a joke and his coach Phil Simmons labelled ICC as despicable.

Scotland, Canada and Bermuda, too, have joined the condemnation of ICC’s decision to exclude Associates from the next quadrennial showpiece. They have all argued that ICC are trying too hard to protect some of the weak full members like Zimbabwe and Bangladesh.

Bermuda’s former batsman Clay Smith has added voice to the criticism and declared that the big boys are acting ‘too greedy’ and feared getting embarrassed.

And it was only fitting that Richard Done, the ICC High Performance Manager, offered some consolation to the Associates here during the opening ceremony of the six-nation Division II World Cricket League held at the Grand Midwest Tower Hotel. “It is saddening to know that the Associates won’t be part of the action in 2015. But some things in life are out of our hands and we have to live with them,” Done told a silent congregation.

Funding
“But we must look forward because the Associates will be drafted back into action in 2019. All you guys have to do now is play good cricket and secure more funding for your countries,” added the 55-year-old Australian administrator. “It will help you develop the game further in your countries.”

“If you finish among the top two nations, you will get a chance to play 14 four-day Intercontinental Cup matches in two years plus a host of Limited Overs and Twenty20 friendlies. There is so much to look forward to.” The top four teams at this tournament will access attractive funding from ICC in the excess of $350,000 (an estimated Shs840m) each whereas the bottom placed two will be relegated to Division III

Uganda on false start in UAE
Friday, 08 April 2011 13:50 administrator 0 Comments

Ssematimba watches Hong Kong Chapman bat

Roger Mukasa hit a half century, but it was not enough as Uganda started their campaign in the Division II Cricket league at fault.

They failed to chase Hong Kong’s set target of 204, collapsing at 178 all out in 48 overs. different result from that one when the two countries met and Uganda carried the day after defeating the Asian side by 90 runs during the 2007 Division III World Cricket League (WCL).

Uganda looked to have started the campaign on a good note, with wicket keeper It was a

Lawrence Ssematimba catching Loy Lamsam (00) off a Charles Waiswa delivery and his opening partner Courtney Cruger (18) is stumped by Ssematimba off a Henry Ssenyondo (2/32) delivery.

But the next partnership of Hussein Butt (55) and Mark Chapman (70) managed to set the pace which enabled minnows Hong Kong to set a target of 204.

Uganda was at fault from the start as Arthur Kyobe was out on a golden duck after being caught by Waqas Barkat off an Ahmed Irfan delivery.

His opening partner Roger Mukasa (52) also saw batsman Frank Nsubuga (37) going off in the 19th over after being caught and bowled by the deadly Khat Nizakat (4 for 14) , who also trapped Davis Arinaitwe (10). It was at this point that Uganda, who looked destine for the win started to panic.

Wickets for Akbar Baig 18), Benjamin Musoke (09), Lawrence Ssematimba (14), Ronald Ssemanda (16), all fell with little impact on the run rate.

Uganda will now need to amend mistakes against Namibia, the team that has always beaten them whenever they met, the last being in the ICC Inter continental cup which was held last year.

Division II Cricket League

Hong Kong 204, Uganda 178

(Uganda lose by 26 runs)

Saturday

Namibia v Uganda

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nambawa in double national record Featured
Written by Normad Katende font size Print E-mail Be the first to comment!

Sarah Nambawa set her third record in the season
Sarah Nambawa on Sunday set two national records as she broke the 14m barrier in triple jump for the first time in her life. The result is an inspiration to the athlete, preparing for the World Championships in Daegu, Korea and All Africa Games due later this year.
The Africa champion jumped 14.07m to win the Boston-Moon Invitation, Nashville Tennessee on Sunday, rewriting the national record of 13.95m; she set last year before travelling to the All Africa Senior Championships.
It was a good result for Nambawa, who has been fighting to break the 14m barrier for the last five years.
“I have been waiting for this 14m for a long time; finally God gave it to me. Let his name be glorified and hoping for more than this. New two National Records for Uganda. My appreciation also goes to all my coaches, and all my beloved supportive American families. Thanks a lot,” she said after the long jump leap.
Her leap of 6.43m rewrote her long jump record of 6.36m that she set last year.
“We are still in the early season. Last time I had an injury but I am hopeful that I will have a great season this year,” she said.
Early this season, Nambawa improved her national indoor record with an opening effort of 13.90m at the Middle Tennessee State University (MTSU) meet. This was well further than the old mark of 13.62m she achieved when she won the event at his meet last year.

1 - 20 of 109 Posts