SkyscraperCity banner

101 - 109 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
Super Sport launches East Afican channel
Sunday, 19 February 2012 19:20 Emma Onyango
KAMPALA, UGANDA - Athletics, boxing and a host of other sporting activities that have brought Uganda International recognition are set to benefit from DStv after the South African based broadcaster launched a sports channel dedicated to sporting activities in the East African region.

SuperSport 9 East will shoe case the enormous sporting talent within the region. This follows SuperSport's deal to broadcast football, rugby and cricket in both Uganda and Kenya.Speaking during the launch of the channel in Kampala last week, Mr. Charles Hamya, General Manager Multichoice Uganda said that the new development would eventually raise the profile of the games in the region.

"Over the past few years we have seen our coverage of sport in East Africa go way beyond our live broadcasting of the Kenyan Premier League. We have done likewise in Uganda, as well as covering football, yachting and marathons in Tanzania, football in Rwanda and East Africa's exciting CECAFA football tournaments.

Add to that the wide range of magazine and highlights shows featuring a range of sport from across the region and it becomes clear that creating a Supersport channel focused specifically on the East African sport was inevitable", he said.SuperSport 9East airs in the Democratic Republic of Congo, Rwanda, Burundi, Congo, Tanzania, Ethiopia, Kenya and Uganda, screening the region's local sport - mainly cricket, football, athletics, rugby and boxing giving East Africa it's very own continental platform which will surely aid them in their systematic growth and development. It is available on channel 219.

Mr. William Blick, the President of the Uganda Rugby Union said that the partnership with SuperSport enabled the rugby fraternity to gain exposure and in the process attract enormous sponsorship."Since we partnered with SuperSport, we have been able to grow our sponsorships to over $100,000.

We also had difficulty in attracting teams from oversees for matches because the only rugby they had ever heard about from this region was the Kenya Safari 7s", Blick said.He added that as a result of the partnership, teams from England counties will be in the country in June and will play a series of matches including against a select side from East Africa.SuperSport 9East will enable other sporting disciplines like boxing and athletics that have often brought Uganda numerous accolades at International level and yet receive very little coverage to attain the much needed publicity and in the process attract sponsorship just as rugby and football have benefited.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
Golola hunts fighting skill in Tanzania, Canada and Thailand
Publish Date: Feb 22, 2012

Moses Golola
By David Namunyala

MOSES Golola's fans should expect more from their champion after a month long tour of Tanzania, Canada and Thailand in preparation for his rematch with Hungarian opponent, Andras Nagy April 27 in Kampala.

The World Kickboxing Intercontinental middle weight champion departs for Dar es Salaam, Tanzania where he will start preparation for the fight under new coach Jackson Kaseba.

Other than general skills, Golola expects to get tag-kickboxing techniques that he concedes was one of his undoing the recent fight against Nagy.

"I learnt a lot from my previous fight and it's the reason I have decided to go for early training abroad and to acquire new skills so that by the time I return, I will definitely show all my supporter's that I’m still a no joking subject," explained Golola.

During the month-long training tour Golola is expected to travel to Canada to acquire more skills from a Ugandan based there Phillip Nduga. He will wind up the tour with a visit to Thailand -the home of his rival few days to the fight.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
Bogere records another knockout

Bogere is tipped to fight for a world title. PHOTO BY Douglas Bugingo

By Clive Kyazze (email the author)

Posted Monday, February 27 2012 at 00:00
IN SUMMARY

The win guarantees Bogere a shot at the WBO lightweight title or the junior welterweight some day in the summer.

KAMPALA

Ugandan lightweight boxer Sharif Bogere stopped Mexican Sergio Rivera after just three rounds at the Scottrade Center in Missouri, USA yesterday morning.

The non-title fight that had been scheduled for ten rounds saw the American-based Bogere stretch his knockout record to 14 in 22 undefeated professional fights.

Bogere proved too sharp, fast and active than Rivera who was coming off a three-fight losing streak though the latter never stopped trying.

Rivera faced a beating of his life that made him reconsider coming out of his corner for the fourth round and the fight was stopped. The win guarantees Bogere a shot at the WBO lightweight title or the junior welterweight some day in the summer.

Prior to Sunday, Bogere’s last competitive fight had been against Dominican Francesco Contreras, who just like Rivera suffered a third round knock that helped the Ugandan retain is his NABO lightweight belt.

If Bogere ever wins a world title he will be Uganda’s sixth world champion after John ‘The Beast’ Mugabi, Ayub Kalule, Cornelius ‘Boza’ Edwards, Kassim ‘The Dream’ Ouma and Jackson “Action” Asiku.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
New bikes on parade as MX season opens

By Fredrick Musisi Kiyingi (email the author)

Posted Sunday, March 4 2012 at 00:00
New bikes will be on parade when the 2012 Motocross Championship starts at the Uganda Motosport Arena (UMA) in Busiika today.

The centre of attraction remains the MX1 cc (Open) class with nine-time national champion Arthur Blick Jr seeking to claim a record 10th title.

Asaf Natan, a two- time national champion (2006/08), has upgraded to a Yamaha YZ250cc 2012 model as he attempts to win a third title while teenager Maxim Van Pee will be chasing his maiden crown in a new KTM 350cc 2012 model. But veteran Blick Jr remains the one to beat and he sounded confident of withstanding the pressure from his rivals.

“This is not a time to panic over new machines. My Kawasaki is still capable of competing with any bike and I am sure it will again come out top,” he told Sunday Monitor. Barak Orland will also parade his new Kawasaki 450CC model 2012 in the open class. Unisan Bakunda and Yusuf Bukenya will also compete.

The MX65cc is also expected to be explosive between the Blick and Ali Omar families.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
Ngaimoko near Games mark
Publish Date: Mar 04, 2012

Police’s Ngaimoko is confident he will make the London grade
By James Bakama and Norman Katende

SPRINTER Ali Ngaimoko could be the man who will end Uganda’s long absence in the sprints at the Olympic Games.

The police officer underlined his intentions of qualifying for the London games with impressive victories in the 200 and 400 meters at UAF’s first trial at Namboole on Saturday.

He started off with a 46.3 run in the long sprint before clocking 20.9 in the 200m. Ngaimoko has to hit 45.9 in the quarter mile or 20.65 in the 200m to make the London cut.

“I should hit the London mark sometime next month after getting serious competition on European circuit,” said Ngaimoko whose performance also had him qualifying for the Africa Seniors due in Benin in June.

Atlanta 1996 bronze medalist Davis Kamoga was the last Ugandan sprinter on the Olympic track when he failed to return to return to the podium at the 2000 games in Sydney.

Uganda runners have lately only featured in the long distances at the quadrennial event and the World Championships, where Moses Kipsiro won bronze in 2007 in Japan.

Commonwealth youth gold medallist Halimah Nakaayi was a second short of hitting the World Junior athletics championship standards on her first test of the track.

The Bombo SS student was who ran after the electronic timing system had failed, clocked a promising 2 minutes 10.7 seconds over her favourite 800m.

Nakaayi beat seasoned athletes in Standard’s Rebecca Naijuka (2:13.3) and Fames Agnes Aneno (2:14.5), though she was still short of the 2:09.10 qualifying mark for the world meet set for Spain in July.

Hers was one of the most impressive times as other athletes also continued to improve as they target qualifying for the continental athletics championships and the London 2012 Olympic Games.

Mildred Gamba again beat Emily Nanziri in the sprints, but the latter hung on to take her favourite 400m.

Tororo remained the producer of the middle distance athletes with Charles Owor winning the 800m event.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
Nambawa wins gold
Publish Date: Jul 01, 2012

Nambawa runs with the flag after her gold feat
By Norman Katende in Benin

Sarah Nambawa made a penultimate leap of 13.90metres to retain her Africa Championship title Sunday evening.

The silver medal went to South Africa’s Charlene Potgieter (13.90) who lost gold on her second best jump 13.81 compared to 13.86 for Nambawa. The bronze went to Morocco’s Jamaa Chnaik (13.75).

The America-based Ugandan athlete had started with a jump of 13.51m, that saw her qualify as third best going into the tripe-jump final in an event dominated by South Africa’s Charlene Potgieter and Moroccan Jamaa Chnaik.

However on her third try, she managed to make a 13.86, which put her in charge against the South African, who also improved her jump to 13.70m.

“I defended my title. I still have a competition in Ghana and probably I will qualify from there,” she said before praising the Lord.

“Glory is to God. My coach (Andrew Owusu) and all my fans in Uganda and the states that have made me grow stronger.”

It was going to be a tight race as Nambawa jumped 13.90 in the second last attempt, and the South Africa replied with a 13.90m to tie it.

However, considering that Nambawa came from behind and had a better improvement, she was given top position ahead of the last attempt.

It was here that the challenge was high and pressure tight as Nambawa made a no jump, leaving the South Africa an opportunity to improve on her medal standing, but she also made a no jump. Nambawa thus retained the title she won last year in Kenya and ensure that the Uganda national anthem is sung.

Earlier on, Annet Negesa had failed the 800m test finishing 6th overall.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
Uganda's Kiplagat plots for Sunday’s gold
Publish Date: Aug 03, 2012

Kiplagat stumbles in the second-last lap but gains his footing.PHOTO/AFP
newvision
By Joseph Kizza

Sunday

3000m steeplechase final

Friday Results

Heat 1

Heat 2

Heat 3

With Uganda’s chances of winning Olympic events this year in London passing for another day’s debate, what Benjamin Kiplagat can think of is to try and resurrect the country’s hopes for a first (medal) come Sunday.

The 3000m Steeplechase athlete will have gold in his sights following his Friday’s narrow qualification for the men’s final.

He clocked 8:18.44 for a sixth place finish in Heat 1 at the Olympic Stadium. His time beat that of seven other athletes to help him scramble for a place in the Sunday final.

Now Uganda’s chances of securing a first medal in London, for now, lies in the mind and body of man who is determined to build on his Africa Championships bronze medal. And that’s exactly what he has been training for.

Kiplagat’s qualification did not come easy though. It never is anyways for any athlete who is competing among the best of the best on such a global stage as the Olympics has to offer.

A trip in midair as he sprang over the steeple in the second-last lap should have inspired a skip of the heart pulse, but for the experienced Kiplagat, this was just another of those expected moments.

He did well to regain his footing after landing hard in the water, almost a fall – sprinted on. He knew he had to tagalong the rest of the front pack lest it was over for him.

The 23-year old long-distance runner did not let his ego down as he bundled up his spirit and raced for the finish line.

“I tried to push hard to qualify and it’s good that I have managed to do it. I will now plan for Sunday,” his determination was as clear as his energy.

Despite the brief mishap that could have led to his end if he had not handled it smartly, the young runner had started off the seven-and-a-half lap race well in the lead for the first five. He knew he was running alongside the best in the game.

France’s Mekhissi-Benabbad Mahiedine who crossed the finish line ahead of the whole pack with 8:16.23 won silver in Beijing four years ago.

And the likes of US’s Jager Evan, Kenya’s Mutai Abel Kiprop, Turkey’s Akdag Tarik Langat and Ethiopia’s Mesfin Nahom couldn’t spare any other better position but the sixth for Kiplagat.

If Kiplagat wins a medal in Sunday’s 3000m steeplechase men’s final, it will be Uganda’s first since Davis Kamoga stunned the world by snatching 400m bronze in Atlanta, USA in 1996.

·
37,800 Posts
:cheers:

Uganda eye bid to host 2015 World X-Country
New Vision
5 January 2013​
The national athletics federation is preparing a comprehensive bid that will ensure Uganda hosts the 2015 World cross country Championships.

The prestigious international event will follow the 2014 Africa cross country championships that Uganda is slated to host early next year.

In 2010, IAAF president Lamine Diack promised to support Uganda’s bid for the prestigious world event.

And all that is left now is goverment’s pledge to support to the project before the bid is finally presented to the international Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF).

If Uganda wins the bid, the country will host top international athletes and media from across the world.

“We are finalizing the paperwork. We are looking at the Africa cross country championships as a test of gauging how prepared we are to host the world event. We really wanted to place the bid earlier but we are still waiting for government’s approval,” said the federation president Dominic Otuchet.

For such a bid to be approved by the international body, the government must first officially approve its support before other requirements that include accommodation and transport are tackled. “We are using different ways to see that we engage the government and get their full backing.”

This year’s championship will be hosted in Bydgoszcz, Poland.

During Stephen Kiprotich’s welcome ceremony after the Olympics last year, Presidnet Yoweri Museveni promised to support athletics.

He initiated construction of a high altitude centre in Kapchorwa as a training facility for the athletes that should be prepared to beat the world runners when they come to Kampala but the works have slowed down.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
Basketball goes live on television

THURSDAY, 09 MAY 2013 23:20 WRITTEN BY FELIX EUPAL 0 COMMENTS
For the first time in Ugandan basketball history, a league match will be broadcast live on TV as defending champions Kyambogo Warriors take on UCU Canons on NBS TV, writes Felix Eupal.

Last year, Warriors shooting guard Ronnie Kasewu had a number of options to pass the ball to and deliver it into the hoop. Norman Blick was one of those with his experience and finesse; Cyrus Kiviri would drop those big three pointers; Michael Kariuki would give the post play while Ivan Enabu would produce the wizardry. This evening only Enabu will be available.

Warriors, who have signed a deal with NBS TV to telecast their main games, had a field day in their opening fixture brushing off Miracle 94-26. However, it will be a different ball game against perennial underachievers Canons. Even Warriors head coach Emmy Samanya admitted: “We don’t read much into Miracle win but I liked the way my new players combined together.”

On the other hand, the Canons opened their account with a win over a resilient KIU Titans and are looking very solid. Head coach Nick Natuhereza is known for keeping his cards close to his chest and has refused to reveal his game plan for Warriors.

What is clear is that centre Desmon Owili will benefit from the presence of Ivan Lumanyika and Sam Lukaire to ease the pressure on him in the paint, while point guard Suudi Ulanga is in blistering form. And then there is Kiviri, who will provide the much-needed support on the backcourt. All said, it will also be a good test to assess how TV affects basketball in the country.

101 - 109 of 109 Posts