Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard through a neighbor of mine, who is very active in the city, that the Macy's downtown is thinking about leaving. They say who wants to shop downtown when it looks the way it does. I would have to agree. However, I sure hope they do not move. That would be a bad blow to the CBD.

Any thoughts. Or could someone shed more light on this. Thanks.

·
Banned
4 Posts
Nonsense. The Macy's in downtown Miami has been and always will be an namesake for a part of the city and a name to those who live and shop downtown. Whoever told you this is quite misled.

Sorry to start my first post here with a rebuttal.

Pete

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
The Director:) , my friend,
for once I'm going to have to agree with the newest member here,
I'm sorry to say it:eek:hno: , too.
As long as there's a Macy's in New York City,
the Macy's in Downtown Miami will always be there to stay:cheers: .
I have a Macy's credit card and use it at the Macy's downtown, and pay my credit card bills there , too.
Their not moving anywhere:eek:hno: or not closing it's doors anytime in the next 5 years.:eek:hno:

p.s. in fact, I still see the Downtown Miami Macy's there in my dreams of 2012 !!!

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a Macy's credit card and use it at the Macy's downtown, and pay my credit card bills there , too.
Their not moving anywhere:eek:hno: or not closing it's doors anytime in the next 5 years.:eek:hno:

p.s. in fact, I still see the Downtown Miami Macy's there in my dreams of 2012 !!!
I really didn't believe myself. But just reiterating what I heard. It'll will be completely different when they finish the Flagler plan and the Jewelry District plan and the Omni. As you say Chuck "in my dreams of 2012. " But soon it will be a reality. :cheers: :banana:

·
Registered
6,871 Posts
Macys had threatened the city with this claim since a while back but recently they said they want to stay but Downtown needs to change to help not only the store but the headquarters of Macys Florida.

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Once all the new residents start moving in to the apartments, all those businesses are going to get a huge boost and the demand for commerce will increase in all of downtown. Macy's will not leave.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I think it is a good thing that Macy's is pushing the local government to clean up the area. It will benefit the community as well as Macy's. :banana:

Oh, and me too since I'm planning to live downtown in the next few years! :cheers:

·
Banned
4 Posts

Excuse me Mr. ChuckScraper Guy, but what's the meaning of the "sorry to say it" portion of your post against me?

Peter

·
Banned
1,737 Posts
Uh i knew he was mulddon since his very first post, just i was pissed at this forum(Arch+chuck) at that time so i didnt say anything.
"Macy's downtown is thinking about leaving."

Why exactly would they want to leave? Pretty soon i bet downtown will be more alive than ever with all these skyscrapers going up :)

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Uh i knew he was mulddon since his very first post, just i was pissed at this forum(Arch+chuck) at that time so i didnt say anything.
"Macy's downtown is thinking about leaving."

Why exactly would they want to leave? Pretty soon i bet downtown will be more alive than ever with all these skyscrapers going up :)

I was told that they want to leave because of the condition that downtown is in. You have to admit that downtown still looks pretty grimy. And the fact that a worker for macys was jumped going to work one morning about a month ago.

However, I have faith that Miami will continue their restoration of dt and it will be great.

·
Contents Under Pressure
9,623 Posts
I wouldn't totally discount Macy's leaving since they're obviously not thrilled with the location right now, but if they do pull up stakes it'll be over money much more than aesthetics. The downtown Miami store is likely much less profitable than most of their suburban outlets and that's really all that matters to their corporate overlords.

It would obviously be a blow to DT if they left, but the hope would be that the CBD would make the drastic upgrades needed with or without Macy's as a partner. They have no other option if the CBD is to someday be a thriving, attractive place.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Macy*s is not leaving. While there have been "threats" to leave, it doesn't take a genius to figure out what those threats are for: they want to heavily rennovate their downtown Miami store (like the huge rennovation going on with their South Beach store, that re-opens next month), and want city assistance. The Macy*s store will likely close down for roughly 9-12 months while it undergoes a major redesign. Macy*s is using these threats to get the city to help pay for it, and it will likely work.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Looking at it from the other angle, if Macy's had the opportunity to move into a more residential downtown neighborhood (Brickell, Edgewater/Omni/Midtown), why shouldn't they? They'd be crazy not to. Right now, their downtown store is largely useless and not making money after dusk & most of the weekend. A store less than a mile north or south could enjoy normal retail hours. The number of actual Miami residents who live year-round in the CBD is less than the margin of error... a number that's not likely to change anytime soon since most of the CBD condos are being sold as vacation homes and investments. In particular, if Macy's were offered a large store under good terms somewhere like Mary Brickell Village, they'd have to be smoking crack to say 'no', because they'd still be Metrorail-accessible and downtown, but they'd ALSO be within easy walking distance of their actual target market.

Or, god forbid (lest some here go into convulsions at the thought), is it really inconceivable that Macy's might want to move into a new vertical power center (a-la Dadeland Station) somewhere to the north, complete with abundant free parking in an adjacent garage that allows direct horizontal access from the garage to the store of interest? It would let Macy's have their cake, and eat it too... they'd still hold on to the downtown shoppers who matter, but they'd simultaneously pick up all the people who live NEXT to downtown who'd otherwise just drive to Aventura, Dadeland, or International Mall (possibly ending up at Dillard's or Nordstroms instead) because the Macy's stores there are all substantially bigger, nicer, and have free parking. Right now, there's absolutely no compelling reason for someone who lives in Edgewater, Morningside, the Design District, the Venetian Islands, or anywhere else in that area to go to the downtown Macy's instead of a mall. In fact, I'd be absolutely shocked if Macy's employees haven't already contacted the Omni's owners multiple times about the possibility of taking over a big chunk of it for a new store (but insisted on guarantees that it wouldn't be closed and demolished on them if they did).

·
Registered
545 Posts
Looking at it from the other angle, if Macy's had the opportunity to move into a more residential downtown neighborhood (Brickell, Edgewater/Omni/Midtown), why shouldn't they? They'd be crazy not to. Right now, their downtown store is largely useless and not making money after dusk & most of the weekend. A store less than a mile north or south could enjoy normal retail hours. The number of actual Miami residents who live year-round in the CBD is less than the margin of error... a number that's not likely to change anytime soon since most of the CBD condos are being sold as vacation homes and investments. In particular, if Macy's were offered a large store under good terms somewhere like Mary Brickell Village, they'd have to be smoking crack to say 'no', because they'd still be Metrorail-accessible and downtown, but they'd ALSO be within easy walking distance of their actual target market.

Or, god forbid (lest some here go into convulsions at the thought), is it really inconceivable that Macy's might want to move into a new vertical power center (a-la Dadeland Station) somewhere to the north, complete with abundant free parking in an adjacent garage that allows direct horizontal access from the garage to the store of interest? It would let Macy's have their cake, and eat it too... they'd still hold on to the downtown shoppers who matter, but they'd simultaneously pick up all the people who live NEXT to downtown who'd otherwise just drive to Aventura, Dadeland, or International Mall (possibly ending up at Dillard's or Nordstroms instead) because the Macy's stores there are all substantially bigger, nicer, and have free parking. Right now, there's absolutely no compelling reason for someone who lives in Edgewater, Morningside, the Design District, the Venetian Islands, or anywhere else in that area to go to the downtown Macy's instead of a mall. In fact, I'd be absolutely shocked if Macy's employees haven't already contacted the Omni's owners multiple times about the possibility of taking over a big chunk of it for a new store (but insisted on guarantees that it wouldn't be closed and demolished on them if they did).
You are totally ignoring the fact that the downtown store is not just a store, but their corporate headquaters. Also, only one Macy*s store in Florida is larger than the downtown store, and that is the Dadeland location. The store isn't moving. It is in the best and most central location for downtown, IMO. However, the area will soon get a second department store: JC Penny will be opening at Midtown Miami in late 2008.

I also feel you are over-estimating how many of those units in the CBD are second homes. In the CBD, especially at lower cost projects like the Loft and some of the new apartment conversions, there is a greater number of people using the units as first homes.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts