SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 523 Posts

·
Mancunian Member
7,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you could compare your Future UK City to an American One, what would it be, and why?

For example:

Manchester = Chicago

Tall (Mainly boxy) skyscrapers proposed, which could make a vast but tall future skyline! One's rainy the others windy, nice!

Liverpool = New York

The potential is amazing, the setting is perfect, if only it was realised! The current skyline is becoming a mini-manhattan!

Birmingham = Detroit

Already quite a dense skyline, but still a little rough around the edges, but going through a resurgence, Car industry links obviously!

London = Los Angeles

Vast, huge suburbs, small skyline/s for its size, but starting to combat that...also celebs of course!!

These are quite obvious ones i know, but i'd be interested to find out what you would compare other cities to, like Leeds, Bristol, Newcastle etc maybe with ones like Boston, Houston, Seattle etc...

Fire away!!

·
Registered
930 Posts
I see where you're coming from with the Liverpool one, Liverpool has a waterfront (like New York) and Old tall buildings (Liver building?) which associate to New York very well.

but Manchester = Chicago

or Birmingham = Detroit...

:rofl:

·
Registered
11,105 Posts
Comparing our cities to theirs is like comparing chalk to cheese. London to L.A is the worst comparison in your list. There are few similarities but I suppose Glasgow with its grid system and huge motorway in the city centre would be the closest.

·
quacked
2,294 Posts
milton keynes - any of the medium sized midwest cities (eg somewhere crap like wichita, kansas) minus tornados

·
Registered
30,493 Posts
How is Manchester like Chicago? Only London and New York go- all other British cities are too small to compare to any major US cities like Chicago, LA..

·
Registered
13,365 Posts
Manchester is more like Los Angeles, albeit a much smaller version, it is the centre of a conurbation of towns, some rich some poor, it has many motorways and the population of the surrounding urban area is higher than the city itself.

·
Mancunian Member
7,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I didn't say currently!! I said future!! Blimey, comparing them now would be daft!! It's what they are 'becoming' which is what i hoped the debate would be about! Haha!

·
Registered
877 Posts
Well Brighton has been compared to San Francisco many times (obviously a much smaller version), what with it's large gay population and bohemian atmosphere, and also Miami (who wanted to twin with us but our stupid council turned down the offer).

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
Appearance wise, Manchester looks alot like new york and Philladelphia, east coast cities.

gotta love this one

See what i mean.

·
Cute but Psycho...
6,023 Posts
London is too unique to look like any other city in the US, i can't really think of one, LA sounds Ok i suppose but i think maybe New York?. Is it which city it would LOOK like (in terms of buildings) or what the city would BE like, e.g. similar activities etc.

·
Registered
739 Posts
S.Yorks Capital said:
Which city would you compare Sheffield to?
I would personally say Pittsburgh. Largely because of the steel (they are both known as the Steel City) but also they have a similar topogrpahy, ie hilly, and they had similar problem with the steel industry in the '70s which led to a closure of many steel mills. They are infact already sister cities.

1 - 20 of 523 Posts