SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Just wondering why don't we have a joined-up coastal A-road.

I don't know if any of you have played with simulation games/software, but something that I always found caused economic growth outside of central built-up area (i.e. London) is a coastal road. We do have several stretches of roads around the coasts of the UK, but these are not well joint-up. The roads can also provide coastal protection too not just convienient transport and increased investment outside of urban areas. So why not have a large road going around the whole of England, even the UK to please the Welsh and Scots if that's what their Assemblies want.

I'd be very interested in your thoughts, positive and negative.

·
Registered
107 Posts
It's a wonderful idea and i'd love to drive it. But would be a waste of money and destroy large areas of important wildlife habitat.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Nice idea but could ruin beaches and beauty spots. In some places if unless you went further inland it would be dangerous (Beachy Head!) in others impossible (parts of north and west Wales coast, Scottish west coast) and what about wide river inlets like in south Devon/Cornwall? It'd also ruin the numbering system if it was called one road!

How about dividing the UK into regions and renumbering all the roads in that area?

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
good point about the wildlife, even with preservation measures

streetwuark, doesn't Wales already have roads in the west going up the coast well close to it and service roads in the north

·
Banned
1,759 Posts
No thank you. Lets not destroy Britains nature.

·
Registered
764 Posts
streetwuark, doesn't Wales already have roads in the west going up the coast well close to it and service roads in the north
Yes - unusual that it hugs the coast already in many areas that have mountainous terrain going into the sea, but where it doesn't likely it wouldn't be practical or cheap to build (e.g. the cost of the Conwy).

Wildlife and general visual beauty and other quality indicators like traffic noise etc are very important from a tourist p.o.v. - not worth ruining for a fantasy idea that is nice but has no reason to it.

·
Tax avoider
24,117 Posts
So why not have a large road going around the whole of England, even the UK to please the Welsh and Scots if that's what their Assemblies want.
What the hell would be the point of that?!? How many people regularly drive from one point on the coast to another?

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What the hell would be the point of that?!? How many people regularly drive from one point on the coast to another?
Because sometimes it is quicker :bash:
-take for instance East Anglia from both a tourist and freight point of view... less jams and queues less motor pollution! -although if it increases in popularity like the motorways, overall after some time there will be more.

Streetquark, you are totally right, its not really in Wales interest.

I was just wondering about England, especially after travelling abroad and looking at progressive development, hence the post.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Depends on the examples. If you're thinking of coastal roads and urban development compared to Costa del Sol we do have them - A27/M27 for example.

Tourism might require roads but it can also ruin what it serves. Most of the British coast is not high rise apartment blocks.

The business case for freight to use the coasts doesn't seem to stack up either. roads can encourage development but is this something we necessarily want?

If its just down to getting quicker from one small place to another, what's the point?

·
Registered
739 Posts
Because sometimes it is quicker :bash:
-take for instance East Anglia from both a tourist and freight point of view... less jams and queues less motor pollution! -although if it increases in popularity like the motorways, overall after some time there will be more.

Streetquark, you are totally right, its not really in Wales interest.

I was just wondering about England, especially after travelling abroad and looking at progressive development, hence the post.
Have you thought about the practicalities of this. Suffolk for example is full of muddy river estuaries, to hug the coast would be nigh on impossible without putting hundreds of unnecessary miles on every journey. What it really needs is the A12 upgrading which does hug the coast as much as is practicle most of the way through Suffolk.

As an experiment I just did Manningtree to Thorpness in google maps. 37 miles on the suggested rout. If you drag the route to hug the coast as much as possible it quickly adds up to over 100. Unless of course you built bridges over the mouths of all the river estuaries.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've had a quick look at the map and as others have mentioned, the road mainly comes inland to avoid having to build loads of extra bridges. I'd rather the money was spent on ensuring that every bit of the coast is walkable on foot as there are still quite a few gaps where walkers are forced inland.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts