SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 670 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please keep discussion of where HS2 should or shouldn't go, and any other fantasy HSR discussions here please, and out of the main HS2 thread.

·
Registered
8,175 Posts
HSR should built Liverpool - Holyhead - Dublin, with trains running every 15 minutes, and walk up fares of £15 return per day, to enable every day commuting a la Øresund.

How's that for fantasy!

G

·
The branch that's eventually extended to Scotland should be the Manchester branch. With a new deep level station alongside Piccadilly allowing a cross city tunnel.

The Wigan branch should continue into a new station alongside Lime Street. A new line can then be built connecting the North Wales coast with this new station and continue onto the Manchester deep level station and then cross the pennines to Leeds and Bradford. From Leeds it can then connect to any HS2 extension to the North East.

For a North East extension I'd hope it would continue from the straight section of track alongside Leeds and serve Teesside and then onto a station near Newcastle Central alongside the River Tyne/Arena. Another branch can go to Newcastle Airport and connect with the ECML just past Morpeth. Or just have the one branch into central station, build the Cramlington/Morpeth by-pass and just run cc trains.

The East End proposed station for Glasgow should also have some mainline/regional services diverted there as well. For Edinburgh I think a new station in the Meadowbank area would be the best fit. Not too far from Waverly and could be reached via the old line which ran through the north of the city. I think.

At the other end of the line a delta junction to connect with a station at Heathrow. And from there the line splitting to serve a new line to Reading and another branch heading in Southampton's direction.

Another new line could be built from Brighton to either connect with crossrail 2 at Victoria and Euston or go to Waterloo and onward to Canary Wharf and Barking and Stansted and form the starting point of another high speed line North.

No great science behind any of this, just my best guesses. I'm envisaging this as a whole new network of lines, not just for high speed running. All built to a higher loading gauge.

·
culled
20,298 Posts
HSR should built Liverpool - Holyhead - Dublin, with trains running every 15 minutes, and walk up fares of £15 return per day, to enable every day commuting a la Øresund.

How's that for fantasy!
IMO there is actually some merit in this. If we're going flat out fantasy I'd say the following lines:

Line 1: Paris to London to Birmingham to Manchester to Glasgow

Line 2: Cherbourg to Wight to Portsmouth to Birmingham to Leeds to Newcastle to Edinburgh

Line 3: London to Bristol to Cardiff to Haverfordwest to Cork

Line 4: Hull to Leeds to Manchester to Liverpool to Dublin

Line 5: Glasgow to Belfast to Dublin to Cork

How's that.

·
Registered
30,359 Posts
Line 1: Paris to London to Birmingham to Manchester to Glasgow
You'd achieve faster Paris - Glasgow journey times with a line from London to the East Midlands (ie avoiding Birmingham), then a line from Leeds heading north west towards Glasgow. It's flatter than the west, and also a shorter route.

Of course, if a new channel tunnel was built between Dieppe and Bexhill to link London & Paris directly, I'd fly the flag for Leeds and argue the almost straight lineage should continue straight through London to Leeds!

£15 return? Rip-off. I did Leeds - Dublin for £2 return on Ryanair.

·
Registered
9,842 Posts
No 1, look at a map , a route to Scotland is unlikely to head up the east coast given the much longer distances
I agree, but I don't think that is what he meant by Leeds - Glasgow.

Of interest, London -Euston - Carlisle via Weedon, Tamworth, Crewe and Penrith is almost exactly the same mileage as Kings Cross to Carlisle via Huntingdon, Retford, Leeds,Settle & Appleby. And the old Midland Railway route to Leeds only adds a few miles.

·
Registered
9,842 Posts
Speaking of fantasies, how about Crewe - Dublin via the North Wales coast and a tunnel?

Euston - Crewe (158 miles) 58 minutes.
Welsh Tunnel Portal (100 miles from Crewe) - 93 minutes.
Irish Tunnel Portal (160 miles from Crewe) - 133 minutes.
Dublin - 167 miles from Crewe - 140 minutes.

Only an average of 139mph, due to 100mph maximum running in the tunnel - but still very capable of decimating the air alternative.

Cost? Hard to know - the cost of a pair of 7.2m diameter tunnels would be about £6.3 billion for 60 miles if built under land - but under the sea you would also need a service tunnel, frequent cross passages and possibly some kind of artificial island mid-way? Add in the cost of the Welsh HS route and the Irish spur and it might be £20billion? Although that seems a bit low considering the Channel Tunnel cost £9.5 billion 20 years ago.

It would have to be built in the same way as the Channel tunnel - a TBM from each coast, meeting half way. I suspect 4 miles a year is realistic, so allowing for a slow start and the odd breakdown it could be bored in 8 years and open in 10 or 11 years?

·
Banned
15,377 Posts
eh?

Dublin to London would be about 300miles - about 2hrs 10mins by HSR.

It's the lack of demand and enormous cost of the tunnel that means it'll never happen.

·
Not Cwite There
9,068 Posts
The channel tunnel has the potential of funnelling people from the entire Britain to the entire continental Europe, but even that's just about doing okay, because the flows are spread out (there are just about enough (potential) big city to big city flows). With the Irish tunnel there's only one major flow (London to Dublin) and a handful of small flows (Dublin to Liverpool/Manchester/Birmingham) so there's unlikely to be a business case for it.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Also consider that 40% of Scotland's population live within Greater Glasgow and the surrounding Strathclyde region. Running it up the east through Edinburgh first wouldn't make sense (no offence to Edinburgh intended).

It's not just ''Scotland''. We have different cities too.

I wonder how worth while a separate eastern spur through Newacstle, Edinburgh, Dundee and Aberdeen would be?

1 - 20 of 670 Posts