SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Top 4 of UK

1 - 20 of 291 Posts

·
SSLL
8,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I did a poll with the top 5, and the results are: London, Manchester, Birmingham, Glasgow and Edinburgh. Now, I'm going to narrow it down to your top 4. Please give reasons why too if possible. My top 4 are:
London, the political, economic, and social capital of the UK;
Manchester, (arguably) England's 2nd city;
Edinburgh, the capital of Scotland and historic centre;
and it's either between Glasgow, the 2nd city of the UK or Birmingham, the 2nd largest city in the UK. I think the size of Bham's population and regional pull win it for me.

G

·
London for obvious reasons, then Manchester because it's the UK's second city, then Edinburgh because of it's status and history, then Glasgow because of it's beautiful architecture.

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
Londons the greatest city in the world. Manchesters the second (in my opinion). Birminghams the third, i would have put Liverpool after that, but its not there, so Glasgow will do.

·
Registered
418 Posts
In no particular order:

London - not just one of the best cities in the UK, but the world.
Edinburgh - Completly unique in the UK. A beautiful, historic city which is buzzing and lively.
Glasgow - In my opinion, Glasgow is the only city in the UK which can rival London architecturally. The City has a real big city feel and is built on a grid - unique in the UK.
Tough choice between Birmingham and Manchester. I'll go with Manchester since it's probably the most well known city in England outside London.

·
Keltlandia
8,880 Posts
I would've put the three English cities listed and Liverpool. As bad taste would have it, Liverpool ain't there so it's a toss up between Edinburgh & Glasgow and I'm afraid it's got to be Edinburgh. Not been to either city yet, but it's more popular with visitors, though I can imagine Glasgow being more my kind of city.

G

·
CharlieP said:
Eh? Since when?
Since 2002 when Manchester hosted the Commonwealth Games and was rebordered to include Stockport, making it larger than Birmingham. Check out the MORI poll (yes, the General Election pollsters).

·
Tax avoider
24,271 Posts
EarlyBird said:
Since 2002 when Manchester hosted the Commonwealth Games and was rebordered to include Stockport, making it larger than Birmingham. Check out the MORI poll (yes, the General Election pollsters).
Yes, but you didn't say "second largest city", you said "second city", a description that has always belonged to Birmingham. You might as well call Leicester the Granite City or Cumbria the Garden of England...

G

·
CharlieP said:
Yes, but you didn't say "second largest city", you said "second city", a description that has always belonged to Birmingham. You might as well call Leicester the Granite City or Cumbria the Garden of England...
Manchester has more political influence, more financial influence, more cultural influence, more tourism and was voted as "second city" by the people of the UK. Conclusive enough if you ask me. Manchester is the second most influential and recognised city in the UK.

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
i don't know why your slating eb. charlie p started that argument.

1 - 20 of 291 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.