Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Futurist
38,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay... thinking about the very long term (i.e. 2020-2050), what kind of transport/infrastructure projects do you think we might see in the UK?

I need some ideas for my Future Timeline website, so any help would be greatly appreciated. If you could provide links, references, maps, images etc. that would be even better. And I'm looking for plausible developments rather than outlandish sci-fi concepts... my site aims to be as realistic as possible.

Many thanks. :)

·
Registered
890 Posts
Highspeed rail.Oyster card tap system in all big cities.Improved rolling stock/buses.etc.Rapid transit in all big cities.i'll think about it more and post later on in the week. :)

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Okay... thinking about the very long term (i.e. 2020-2050), what kind of transport/infrastructure projects do you think we might see in the UK? ...
Largely unchanged from today.

Cars mostly powered by rechargeable batteries but with "limp you home" small internal combustion engines for emergency use at reduced speed.

A return of the Motorail service.
And/or or a similar service based on road transport (a short coach for 20 riders that pulls a trailer equipped to haul half a dozen cars). Operating between distant motorway service areas.

More railway electrification but some lines inundated by rising sea levels.

G

·
High speed rail network

Mass electrification and gauge enhancement programme

Station rebuilding/expanding programme

S-Bahn networks for London, West Midlands, North West, Yorkshire, North East, Cardiff, Glasgow, Edinburgh, South Coast

·
Registered
30,776 Posts
High speed rail network

Mass electrification and gauge enhancement programme

Station rebuilding/expanding programme

S-Bahn networks for London, West Midlands, North West, Yorkshire, North East, Cardiff, Glasgow, Edinburgh, South Coast
I wish. I think we'll have a high speed line but not a network. Arugably station rebuilding is already underway, but only major stations. Outside PTE areas, I can't see many of the smaller/commuter stations being rebuilt let-alone revamped.

S-Bahn... Highly doubt it. Nearest we will get is tram-trains; and even that is decades off.

I say this because the attitude of people in society needs to change. Until people stop being so worried about value for money (or at least outside London/SE), we won't get very far. Until people support higher tax rates we won't see the investment we need. Transport is at the bottom of the political agenda at the moment- it will take a lot to get it to the top.

·
BUND
4,045 Posts
The closest people will get to wanting higher tax rates will be what we had in 1997 after 20 years of underinvestment, sadly.

And before any free market nutter gets back to me; open your mind, money talks and social investment is the way to make things better, not piecemeal private investment.

·
Registered
168 Posts
channel road crossing. hopefully we'll be in schengen and the euro by then too.

national variable road pricing scheme using gps, with centralised national congestion management system that directs your satnav, plus car autopilot system so e.g. you can travel safely at 100mph on the motorway only a short distance behind the car in front.

·
BUND
4,045 Posts
yeah i think the car motorway management thing is inevitable will reduce delays and make road travel have a bit of an upsurge. if the roads all had a kind of semi auto system we'd all have much better travel, but it might be to the detriment of pedestrians unless they can be factored into it too.

·
Registered
30,776 Posts
I think the car autopilot idea is a long way off- for the forseeable future, higher speed travel will be by public transport methods- basically train.

Schengen though- hope we have joined well before 2050, enabling much easier cross-Channel crossing, as well as to other EU countries.

·
Registered
168 Posts
schengen may also lead to a reorganisation of airport terminals between "domestic" (schengenland short-haul with no immigration controls), and "international" (long-haul / immigration). this is what has happened at a lot of airports on the continent already.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
more electrification (of most of the mainlines)
HS rail to Birmingham and Manchester by 2020s, onto Scotland and second line to Leeds/Newcastle by 2040s
4 tracking of Paddington to Bristol Parkway
Crossrail 2
Some form of national congestion charging AND more congestion charging type schemes
Much more environmentally friendly airtravel
4th Runway at Heathrow about to built and certainly new terminal
A step change in public transport provision in non-London metropolitan areas (not sure what/how)
Car still king

·
Registered
11 Posts
I think car autopilot would only work on a route that was exclusively for auto piloted vehicles. I would not want to be driving a "manual" car only to have some "autopilot" car decide that it wants to be 2 feet from my rear bumper. Also there is a risk they might not detect smaller things like cyclists & mopeds.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I'd expect electric cars to become increasingly common during this period, they'll probably be normal by the end. If electricity generating capacity isn't increased this could cause problems with power supply from everyone charging their cars up.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
I'd expect electric cars to become increasingly common during this period, they'll probably be normal by the end. If electricity generating capacity isn't increased this could cause problems with power supply from everyone charging their cars up.
I think that the most sustainable way of introducing private electric vehicles is to develop Hydrogen fuel cells and the infrastucture to make it worthwhile. If this happened then people wouldn't be plugging into a grid to charge their cars they would just fill them with liquid Hydrogen, at a fuel station, just like they do now...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7456141.stm

1 - 20 of 41 Posts