Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,774 Posts
Does this mobile flight control tower worth KSh. 150 million worth it? It does not make sense to me. Does it make sense to any aviation expert on the forum? Would a permanent one be better and cheaper? Are there reasons why such a thing would be built?

Sh150 million tower lifts Ukunda Airstrip safety

Ukunda Airstrip has received a major boost after the Kenya Civil Aviation Authority (KCAA) commissioned its first modern Sh150 million control tower for safer flight operations. KCAA director-general Gilbert Kibe said the investment is the product of increased flights at Ukunda airstrip, which supports travel to famed tourist hotspot in Diani, Kwale County. "We are investing in the safety, security and efficiency of the aviation sector. This mobile tower will mitigate against service disruptions, incidents or ...

·
Registered
14,267 Posts
Does this mobile flight control tower worth KSh. 150 million worth it? It does not make sense to me. Does it make sense to any aviation expert on the forum? Would a permanent one be better and cheaper? Are there reasons why such a thing would be built?

Ukunda Airstrip has received a major boost after the Kenya Civil Aviation Authority (KCAA) commissioned its first modern Sh150 million control tower for safer flight operations. KCAA director-general Gilbert Kibe said the investment is the product of increased flights at Ukunda airstrip, which supports travel to famed tourist hotspot in Diani, Kwale County. "We are investing in the safety, security and efficiency of the aviation sector. This mobile tower will mitigate against service disruptions, incidents or ...
It's worth since its temporary for the time being. The government just recently extended the runway and is working on re-tarmacking it and building a new terminal.

·
Registered
6,774 Posts
Ksh 150 million for a temporary tower? No way this makes sense to anyone, don't get it. They should just use an air ballon may be. How many flights land/take off from here everyday? And what have they been using?

·
Registered
14,267 Posts
^^They extended the runway, really? How come we didn't keep this page updated, we just slacked off!! The last time info was posted here before today was in 2014.
Look at the post by SE9. There was a video link of talking about its expansion.

Its a big embarrassment. I saw it and I'm mad.
Ksh 150 million for a temporary tower? No way this makes sense to anyone, don't get it. They should just use an air ballon may be. How many flights land/take off from here everyday? And what have they been using?
This is an airstrip. But traffic to this Airport thanks to JamboJet and other airlines have increased the need of an air control tower.

The structure is needed to ensure safe landing and taking off of aircrafts.

When the airport is upgraded fully it will be moved to another airstrip etc etc.

Reactions: African Foot

·
Registered
14,267 Posts
Nice I saw it on google maps just now. I think they need a terminal building there and a sufficient control tower and proper road to the airport.
There was a masterplan I saw a while back of the entire vision of the airstrip.

·
Registered
682 Posts
The mobile control tower isnt designed to be just for ukunda, they will be transferring it to busy airstrips once need arises. However i think that a permanent control tower would be more logical for ukunda, however note that flights to the area get busy mostly towards the festive season and if you monitor air traffic around there even now its pretty much very low.i think that is what informed the decision since even first world countries have mobile flight control towers

·
Registered
81 Posts

Totally! Ukunda right now has congestion like you can't believe, in fact KCAA sometimes would use a guy in a vehicle to cue traffic for landing during those peak hours. Wilson airport built a new tower at something close to 170 Million Kes, remember Wilson already has existing cabling and infrastructure so it's basically building the physical tower and connecting it to a pre existing network. In Ukunda that would all have to be established and that takes time. The day Ukunda will get a proper tower don't be surprised to hear figures like 250-300 million being thrown around.

The beauty of this mobile tower is that it basically goes to work as fast as the KCAA want it to, no lag time. By its nature it means that after Ukunda gets a tower, it can be moved to other places when demand rises and money is short e.g Garissa, Eldoret, Kitale. This is quite possibly the most sensible use of 150 Million KCAA has ever made.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Ukunda Airstrip to be renamed Diani Airport

More distinguishable ? probably ... now they need to do some serious investments!

Ukunda Airstrip is set to be renamed Diani National Airport as the government intensifies efforts to expand it to attract bigger airlines and more visitors to South Coast.

Unlike the little known Ukunda, Diani is known in global tourism circles for its white sand beaches. The Tourism ministry’s director of public communication Mulei Muia said the renaming of the airport will attract more charter flights to the region.

“Its significance is basically to attract more tourists to Diani, and hence open up the tourists resort town to big charter flights into South Coast. That is going to be a big boost for the tourism sector," Mr Muia said.

READ MORE - BDAFRICA

1 - 16 of 16 Posts