SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Ulaanbaatar is the capital of Mongolia. In 2006 its population was estimated at roughly just under a million citizens. The city is situated north and slightly east of the center of Mongolia, on the Tuul River, a subtributary of the Selenga, in a valley at the foot of the mountain Bogda Uul.
History: Founded in 1639, Ulan Bator, then Urga, was originally located at the site of the Buddhist monastery of Da Khuree (Mongolian: Даа хүрээ [Daa hüree]), around 400 km from the present Ulaanbaator in Arhangay Province and was the seat of the first Jebtsundamba, Zanabazar. It was moved often to various places along the Selenga, Orhon, and Tuul rivers until reaching its present location in the late 18th century. It prospered in the 1860s as a commercial center on the tea route between Russia and China and was the seat of the Qing amban in Mongolia. Mongolia first proclaimed its independence upon the collapse of the Manchu Empire in 1911 and the city became the capital of the new Mongolian People's Republic in 1924.

State Department store

Russian GAZ-A and American Willy's

The Gandan Tegchinlen Monastery

Sukhbaatar and Choibalsan mausoleum in the centre of the city

Sukhbaatar monument at Sukhbaatar square

National Theatre

·
Banned
1,875 Posts
Nice photos, I've never really seen Ulaanbaatar, but it definatly looks like it has some communist-style architecture. Nevertheless, not bad.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
wow ! thanks ! I always looked for pics from UlaanBaatar, but hardly found ! Great pics ! Loved it !
a question: What does " Ulaan Baatar " means in english ??

·
Registered
125 Posts
Luis_RiodeJaneiro said:
wow ! thanks ! I always looked for pics from UlaanBaatar, but hardly found ! Great pics ! Loved it !
a question: What does " Ulaan Baatar " means in english ??
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulaanbaatar#Names_of_Ulan_Bator

As far as I understand Ulaanbater was the new name of the capital in orde of Sukhbator. It means red hero (bator means hero).
My guess is that he was considered a hero for fighting against the chinese and against a (baltic?) warlord to retrieve Mongolian independence. He got help from the Red Russian Army, hence explaining the name.
But there is also a border town explicitly called "Sukhbator".

Nice pictures! Why do mongolians both use Cyrillic and Latin alphabet?

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
nice pictures.

btw Mongolians in China use genuinely traditional Mongolian alphabets.

Mongolia is also considering swtiching back, Cyrillic has cut off their ties with traditional Mongolian culture.

As a result of pressure from the Soviet Union, Mongolia adopted the Latin alphabet in 1931 and the Cyrillic alphabet in 1937. In 1941 the Mongolian government passed a law to abolish the traditional alphabet, but since 1994 they have been trying to bring it back. It is now taught to some extent in schools, though is mainly used for decorative purposes by artists, designers, calligraphers and poets. The average person in Mongolia knows little or nothing about the traditional alphabet, though there is high literacy in Cyrillic. In Inner Mongolian Autonomous Region of China the traditonal alphabet is still used.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Sen said:
nice pictures.

btw Mongolians in China use genuinely traditional Mongolian alphabets.

Mongolia is also considering swtiching back, Cyrillic has cut off their ties with traditional Mongolian culture.
I think it should be added that the average person doesn't seem interested in using traditional Mongolian alphabet in the first place. Lots of interviews were done and everyone found it difficult to learn and use, thus the continued use of Cyrillics. The change in alphabet hardly has anything to do with cutting off ties with culture.. the Mongols have used a number of other writing systems in the past like the Tibetan inspired Phags Pa, Todo script, Latin alphabet, etc
The change to Cyrillic wasn't from traditional, but from the Latin alphabet they introduced in the 30s.

·
Registered
647 Posts
wow. is that picture with the horse+man stature with the hills with the pine trees really ...like..in mongolia? everything else is all desserty.

·
Registered
meow
9,967 Posts
Hmmmm that looks SO "North Korea"ish ehheh. Nice pics though, rarely seen place, intriguing at least. I wanna visit it some day to see how it feels :cool:

1 - 20 of 97 Posts