SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
I love cheese
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the front page of the bd news paper there was an article about the UN pushing to stop the building of iconic tall buidings in historical cities like London. The bill was going to be presented in July I think. The article went on to mention some of your beloved buildings like the shard of glass as destroying world heritage sites like the London Tower etc...

There is a website, but I could see nothing on it as I'm not a member. bdonline.co.uk :bash:

·
I love cheese
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I got this from the IC Liverpool

*Regional news

UN threatens city with ban on tall buildings
May 17 2005

By Larry Neild, Daily Post

LIVERPOOL'S ambitions for a "mini-Manhattan" skyline face being thrown into jeopardy by strict United Nations rules to ban tall buildings around World Heritage sites.

Tough measures proposed by the head of Unesco world heritage centres, Francesco Bandarin, would see skyscrapers in Liverpool and London refused permission.

The move would come as a blow to developers eager to reach for the sky with high-rise buildings along the Mersey waterfront.

Projects like the Unity development currently under way in Rumford Place, would not have got off the ground under the proposed rules, say some planning experts.

But last night Liverpool City Council's head of planning Nigel Lee said he would defend the Unity building as a suitable development on the edge of the city's World Heritage site.

Last week the Daily Post revealed plans by the Windsor Group for a cluster of buildings of up to 25 storeys in the Baltic triangle facing historic Wapping Dock warehouse. Other high-rise schemes are earmarked for Princes Dock and the business quarter around Old Hall Street. The measure is likely to promote a bitter battle between supporters ofmodern architecture and Unesco.

Liverpool only won its World Heritage status last year for its historic maritime legacy, with council planners duty-bound to consider the impact of any new scheme in the city centre on the heritage site.

The first salvo has been fought in the respected architectural journal, Building Design.

Bandarin states: "There must be a limit to designing whatever you want when you are in a city with a long history. A lot of these iconic buildings are designed with no sense of context. They are just pure design."

Liverpool is one of the cities being looked at by Unesco.

The new rules effectively banning modern high-rise schemes are to be debated at a major conference this week in Vienna.

The proposal is that cities such as Liverpool with World Heritage Status should have to enshrine a conservation plan as a supplementary planning guidance tool.

This, argues Unesco, would give planning regulations more teeth as they would become statutory when sensitive plans close to heritage sites are being discussed.

It will be the first time in 30 years that Unesco has considered new guidelines for the management of heritage sites. The proposals would not only make it harder to build close to heritage sites, but would also protect views, such as those towards the Royal Liver Building and the Anglican Cathedral.

Liverpool architect John Elcock said: "This proposal is utter madness. It is not just an attack on tall buildings, but on modern architecture. I believe Unesco will have a huge challenge on its hands from architects."

·
Hypnotize!
1,062 Posts
Liverpool is a city for f***s sake, not some ancient monument! We should not have outsiders dictating what can and cannot be built in our cities when the citizens don't get a say. He won't get this through! :mad:

·
Banned
14,131 Posts
Cockunisan said:
Liverpool architect John Elcock said: "This proposal is utter madness. It is not just an attack on tall buildings, but on modern architecture. I believe Unesco will have a huge challenge on its hands from architects."
Too bloody right, this "plan" from the UN is the biggest load of steaming horse shite I've ever heard on this forum.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I just can't understand the UN, sometimes! They think they'll be saving history... when in fact they'll be abolishing it as, ''every day we make history''! So if we're forbiden from creating our modern, tall pieces of architecture, we, and our generation to come, wont be able to look back on our preciouse creations. They're not thinking outside of the box. They'll be destroying History as wen the Historical buildings today will eventualy erode... what will we have? Most modern architecture today is originaly tall since advanced technology has allow'd us to do so! Every Nation has their own way of expressing architecture as we know; America Tall...etc! So why cant we have our tall moments. The UN will be changing History alright, but for the better? i dont think so!

·
Premium Member
3,325 Posts
Hmmm, I guess though, at the end of the day, noones going to bother listening to some namby-pamby pressure group - what are they gonna do? Refer us to the Security Council? Ooooh we're scared! No point worrying about it.

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
Isnt there job supposed to be working toward World Peace?!?

What really takes the piss is the fact the U.N. is based in a NY skyscraper. CNUTS!!

G

·
ROYAL BLUE said:
Isnt there job supposed to be working toward World Peace?!?

What really takes the piss is the fact the U.N. is based in a NY skyscraper. CNUTS!!
They're useless, meaningless and powerless. Why do you think we let the US have them in the first place? ;)

·
Waiting for 122
3,803 Posts
Bloody Hell. First the EU trying to run our country, now the UN. **** them the *****. Londoners should decide what we have in our city, same with every other city. London is about the Blending of Old and Modern, and all cities should be doing this.. Skyscrapers do not ruin historical sights, I personally love to see Tower Bridge, the TOL and Swiss Re all mingled into one viewing corridor.

·
Large Member
1,128 Posts
This is one of the best things that can happen to skyscraper construction in our country. If there's one thing that unites the British people, it's indignation at being told what to do by foreign beauracrats. You could almost invisige a skycraper boom around the tower of London just to protest against international busybodies.

·
Registered
13,909 Posts
Liverdude said:
They can strip Liverpool of World Heritage Status for all I care!
I agree! It has caused nothing but trouble since it was brought in, and the benefits of it have been very little in comparison.
They should keep their noses out and let us run our own country and cities.

·
Registered
707 Posts
In their eyes every major British city is a "heritage" site, so don't be surprised if they oppose ALL skyscraper development.

Isn't it time we pulled out of the UN?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts