Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
107 Posts
City Data is such a reliable source...

right......

People there have this resentment towards Miami, and their criticism tell us exactly who they are. Most of them have the lowest self esteem you can ever see in the internet, and they tend to bring people down to feel better about themselves.

Miserable people living miserable lives.

For them Miami can't be good in any sense of the word, you know, their jealousy and resentment play a big in their lives. Most of them coming from Looservilles or Boringburg USA. It hurts them when they see Miami ranking in top numbers. There @ City Data, they lie to themselves, because there is nothing else they can do to feel good and important to this world.

They have this need to bring the race/culture card, because without their "I'm True American" label, they are nothing but pathetic losers. They identify themselves with that, there is nothing left for them.

MIAMI: THE ONLY REAL CITY SOUTH OF DC.

·
Contents Under Pressure
9,623 Posts
An "unbiased" poll is a contradiction in terms, anyway. Opinions are biases---and opinion is all any poll of this sort is. It's like polling people about the weather or what kind of paint color they like.

Who the heck cares, anyway? It's stuff like this that always leads to stupid (and often nasty) 'city versus city' comparisons on a format like this and suffice it to say EVERY sub-forum thinks their city is the 'best' for myriad reasons---mostly just because they live there.

As for the City-Data stuff, I'm sure you get the same kind of negative input with any city. It's not just a Miami thing. People with an axe to grind are often drawn to that stuff, same as talk-radio. All sunshine and lollipops would be equally inane. As always, the truth is somewhere between Pollyanna and Doom and Gloom. I wouldn't get too worked up about it.

(and I'm getting the feeling "george" here also instigated the same poll on that forum based on the similarity of the commentary, anyway)

·
One Brickell CityCentre
13,121 Posts
this website is pathetic! I hope tourists coming to the US don't go through that site, it is as negative as it gets!
Are you talking about this website or City-Data? Anyway, the poll says third best and not third largest, and it seems people get them confused all the time. Miami might have the 3rd largest skyline in the country in terms of number of buildings over 400 feet tall, but I would never call it third best. To me, that is between San Francisco and Houston.

·
One Brickell CityCentre
13,121 Posts

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
An "unbiased" poll is a contradiction in terms, anyway. Opinions are biases---and opinion is all any poll of this sort is. It's like polling people about the weather or what kind of paint color they like.

Who the heck cares, anyway? It's stuff like this that always leads to stupid (and often nasty) 'city versus city' comparisons on a format like this and suffice it to say EVERY sub-forum thinks their city is the 'best' for myriad reasons---mostly just because they live there.

As for the City-Data stuff, I'm sure you get the same kind of negative input with any city. It's not just a Miami thing. People with an axe to grind are often drawn to that stuff, same as talk-radio. All sunshine and lollipops would be equally inane. As always, the truth is somewhere between Pollyanna and Doom and Gloom. I wouldn't get too worked up about it.

(and I'm getting the feeling "george" here also instigated the same poll on that forum based on the similarity of the commentary, anyway)
Not to mention he went through the trouble of actually setting up a new account on this website just to use the a user name to keep his little Miami skyline comparison thing going.

G

·
Oh my, this is horrible. I finally see people talk negative about Miami. And yes spartan I agree with you.I hope people don't get a bad image of Mia when they go on that City Data site.

·
1,118 Posts
Are you talking about this website or City-Data? Anyway, the poll says third best and not third largest, and it seems people get them confused all the time. Miami might have the 3rd largest skyline in the country in terms of number of buildings over 400 feet tall, but I would never call it third best. To me, that is between San Francisco and Houston.
city-data sir.
I SAY CLOSE DOWN THE WEBSITE! ha

·
Registered
3,436 Posts

Well said...AGAIN...Spellbound! I have only been on this forum for 4-5 years---rarely posting---but it seems like we have been down this road so many times b4. No use in this sort of city vs. city chatter...getts us nowhere.

No one loves Miami more than I do, and I think the whole.."Miami has the number 3 skyline" talk is rediculous. Live in SF, Houston & Atlanta and they are seem to dwarf Miami. Miami is only playing catch up. There is still lots of gaps, and lots more room for improvment.

Nevertheless...we have come a long way. I am certainly not going to disparage any other city---just because of my loyalty to Miami. Let's all agree that uniqueness---in individuals, cities, nations and even people is what makes life so wonderful!

The Embarcadero

·
Contents Under Pressure
9,623 Posts
Nevertheless...we have come a long way. I am certainly not going to disparage any other city---just because of my loyalty to Miami. Let's all agree that uniqueness---in individuals, cities, nations and even people is what makes life so wonderful!
Absolutely.

The oddest thing about formats like this is how frequently people want to get into 'my city is better than your city' nonsense, even though (thankfully) it happens less on the Miami subforum than some I've seen.

It's childish and stupid. The truth of the matter is that the 'best' city is whatever works right for YOU. There's someone right now living a damn good existence in Youngstown, Ohio while someone else in Honolulu is broke and at the end of their rope. That's just how it is and thinking location=happiness is inane.

Presumably, you find a website like this because you love cities. Not just one city, but ALL of them (even Enid..:lol:) The 'competition' stuff is a fools game.

And good to seeya, Embarcadero! Dolphins training camp is just a few weeks away. :cheers:

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Absolutely.

The oddest thing about formats like this is how frequently people want to get into 'my city is better than your city' nonsense, even though (thankfully) it happens less on the Miami subforum than some I've seen.

It's childish and stupid. The truth of the matter is that the 'best' city is whatever works right for YOU. There's someone right now living a damn good existence in Youngstown, Ohio while someone else in Honolulu is broke and at the end of their rope. That's just how it is and thinking location=happiness is inane.

Presumably, you find a website like this because you love cities. Not just one city, but ALL of them (even Enid..:lol:) The 'competition' stuff is a fools game.

And good to seeya, Embarcadero! Dolphins training camp is just a few weeks away. :cheers:
Well....we think alike for the most part Spell....but MY OPA-LOCKA is way better than your Enid, OK!

Oops, I am guilty...my bad!

·
One Brickell CityCentre
13,121 Posts
No one loves Miami more than I do, and I think the whole.."Miami has the number 3 skyline" talk is rediculous. Live in SF, Houston & Atlanta and they are seem to dwarf Miami. Miami is only playing catch up. There is still lots of gaps, and lots more room for improvment. The Embarcadero
Oh, I agree that Miami has lots of room for improvement, but the "Miami has the number 3 skyline" talk is not ridiculous if it's a statistical fact depending on how you want to crunch the numbers. I never said it was third best, but as I've said before, people tend to get third biggest and third best confused anyway. I would chose San Francisco or Houston as having the third best skyline over Miami any day, but statistical facts are not ridiculous. They are just facts!

·
Contents Under Pressure
9,623 Posts
^^Q--I don't want to speak for Embarcadero but I think he was just talking about how silly skyline and/or city arguments in general are, not disputing the numbers or anything.

The real nuts and bolts of a city are at sidewalk level, anyway. I want to know what city has the best falafel and cleanest subways. :cheers:

·
One Brickell CityCentre
13,121 Posts
^^Q--I don't want to speak for Embarcadero but I think he was just talking about how silly skyline and/or city arguments in general are, not disputing the numbers or anything.

The real nuts and bolts of a city are at sidewalk level, anyway. I want to know what city has the best falafel and cleanest subways. :cheers:
You mean the whole city versus city thing? Now that is ridiculous, yes! Some cities have similarities, but every city is unique to itself.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.