SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Charlotte
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

UNC Charlotte announces expanded uptown presence

Monday April 18, 2005

Professionals and residents living and working uptown will have even more options to pursue UNC Charlotte graduate and undergraduate education when a new classroom building is constructed in center city, Chancellor James Woodward announced today at a news conference at the future site.

UNC Charlotte has acquired property on the corner of Brevard and Ninth streets where it plans to build a major new classroom building. Five stories high, the facility will have about 100,000 net square feet for classrooms, lectures halls, computer labs and offices. Classes offered in the new building will range from business and social services to architecture and the humanities.

“In 1995, UNC Charlotte expanded its presence to uptown to meet the unique educational needs of working professionals, and now – a decade later – there is even more demand for our classes,” said UNC Charlotte Chancellor James Woodward. “We are delighted to share this news today which reflects our ongoing commitment to support center city and enhance the vitality of uptown Charlotte.”

The Foundation for The University of North Carolina at Charlotte Inc. has secured funding for the property. The university has requested an appropriation from the state legislature to construct the building. No construction date has been set.

“There is a special kind of contribution made through the presence of a University, an energy and an intellectual capital that is contributed through its students and faculty,” said Michael Smith, president of Charlotte Center City Partners. “This new campus will help reshape the culture of our center city and will be a real signature of the First Ward.”

Currently, the university occupies 13,000 net square feet in the Mint Museum of Craft + Design, and will continue in that space until the new building is constructed.

Link:
http://www.charlottecentercity.org/nav800.cfm?cat=3&subcat=1&subaction=detail&id=1352&feature=yes

·
Registered
211 Posts
That's not the real design.....it wasn't even designed by an architect, nor has an architect been selected. UNCC is considering a design competition, though with their limited budget, they don't expect to attract any big names.

I can't believe that everyone on here seems to like this rendering. This is a knock-off of a 100 year old building, that will be built in an urban environment that has nothing along these lines to provide context. Since we have a clean slate, why not have something modern and interesting. The Stata building for MIT is a good example.

·
Registered
211 Posts
It was just a conceptual rendering of what the new building COULD look like. UNCC felt they needed to release something to give a sense of size.....

·
Registered
841 Posts
I can't believe that everyone on here seems to like this rendering. This is a knock-off of a 100 year old building, that will be built in an urban environment that has nothing along these lines to provide context. Since we have a clean slate, why not have something modern and interesting. The Stata building for MIT is a good example.
I never actually said I liked it, but it's what I'm expecting. Something bland and institutional. I'll still be better than the current surface lot, and if they do develop a better design more power to them.

·
...wolf in cheap clothing
734 Posts
I like the depicted building. I think it's an elegant design that will age well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts