21 - 40 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
^^ isn't it at least approved??

·
Son of the cedars
7,958 Posts
The Design is changed i guess,on Khatib & alami website the new updates are as follow:

Design Completion Date: 2007 instead of 2005

Construction Completion Date: 2008 instead of 2007 , and i doubt this as well,i think it's at least 2010 or 2011 if they start this year.

and a small pic of what it looks like the new design.

·
Registered
361 Posts
i am about to get heavily critisized for this : i actually hate this project and i hope and pray they dont build it

because the stretch of land it is going to be built on is green and has tons of really old trees and gardens and its in the middle of a bustling shopping avenue that already has tons of malls and shopping arcades so why not make it into a garden with a fountain or two and tons of trees ..beirut needs gardens and green spaces desperately especially in the crowded shopping districts ...think about it it'll be like beirut's central park

instead of building another mall do something new.... there are enough malls in beirut to go around to but not enough gardens and breathing spaces

·
4,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
^^ There already is the Sanayeh Garden a mile up the street and no one really uses it. The bottom line is that this is private property and the owner of course wants to make a profit. There is no profit from a park.

Besides, Verdun really needs this mall to establish itself as a world-class shopping destination. The 730, 732, Dunes, etc are really small "malls" and just not enough when you compare Verdun with other world famous up-scale shopping districts.

·
Registered
429 Posts
^^ I totally agree .... and Sanayeh Garden is i think bigger than this plot and no one goes there ... and about a "central park" this plot is 1/100 of 7orsh Bayrout

·
RM
198 Posts
guys take it easy, we have the sea, and we have few parks here and there, its just ppl rather play on the sea shore than in a park. and we will have on big park in solidere soon, so chill. and the sayane3 park is not so bad, u should check it out once in a while.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Snayeh Garden? Are you kidding me? Sanyeh Garden is more like just a square for me, we need a real park in Beirut! Although I like this project.
He was saying this plot could be a central park so We said Sanayeh is bigger
and our central park is 7orsh bayrout .....

·
LBN
236 Posts
well the project seems to have alot of trees and ''greeneries'' in it! So everyone is happy LOL! I love this project! I hope the tower will be real special

·
Registered
252 Posts
Beirut has very few parks for city of its size

Parks in neighborhoods help filter the air, and keep the temperature regulated, aside from being places children can play (I remember palying in Sanayeh garden), or where people can stop and think, without being constantly engaged in commerce. Walk past a garden in the city in the middle of summer and you can feel the cool air. You need them, as small as they may be, as lungs, as little escape valves. Just having a park a kilometer away, or on the other side of the city, doesn't address the issue.

What little green space should be preserved, but between 'should' and 'would' there's a 40bn dollar debt load, a weak central government, and no real commitment or even consensus to doing anything different from what has been done, in greater or lesser degree, forever: we don't even agree here, where there are people interested in architecture and urban planning.

But I will repeat my argument that I've made elsewhere (transfer of air right, revising Solidere's plans to increase massing in certain critical areas) that the division between jobs/economy/development and preservation/health/ecology is false. These massive developments are always justified on the grounds that they are the only alternative. It's a tuatology, but they are the only alternative only if we refuse to think of any others!

They are thinking of other alternatives in Abu Dhabi. They will build a new city on ecologically sound principles, and their buildings must incorporate simple design elements that help them use less energy. Meanwhile in Beirut the municipality has just given up on its plan to buy private open spaces and turn them into parks with underground parking. No money, no will.

Soon we'll be a city full of (nicely designed) shopping centers. But will the visitors come to buy in them? When they have their own, spanking new, green, stable, and presumably even more luxurious equivalents next door? Maybe, but I think Abu Dhabi, Dubai and others show that we are entering a completely new world here. What will Lebanon's place in it be?

·
Banned
3,506 Posts
Bad news

I don't know what happened to the tall tower. I found this renders in the Horizon dev. website. And the project is called Palace Verdun.

Project specifications
Large commercial and shopping center
Luxury Hotel
Luxury suites hotel
Site area: 18,158 m2
Total retail marketable area: 32,000 m2
Total Hotel and suites hotel marketable area: 16,000 m2
Total Built-up area: 149,500 m2

·
Banned
3,506 Posts
Personnally I prefer it this way, I'm becoming "tower-phobic" concerning Beirut. I don't like the design though. We need more renders to juge better.
About the location, it's right facing the Dunes Center (you can see the fountain if you look close). Is it an empty plot?

21 - 40 of 86 Posts