SkyscraperCity banner

Vote

• Total voters
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
16,741 Posts
Shooting from behind the JH tower glass is tough!

·
16,741 Posts
For not having a tripod with you it certainly did. When I was there I was in some sort of restaurant if I remember correctly. Back in 2009. Are you allowed to set up a tripod there?? I recently met up with a Flickr member who visits a lot of tall buildings [restaurants on top, conference rooms, etc.] and he has a great solution for not having a tripod. It's called a beanbag. It's really small and easy to use, just make sure your lens is really close to the glass of the window and all reflections should be gone. Makes a great Christmas present :D

·
Registered
7,726 Posts
I know exactly what you're talking about. Shooting from Eureka Tower in Melbourne and Sydney Tower, I never had much luck with a tripod because I could not get close enough to the window to minimise glare. I really need to get a bean bag because I resorted to using my mobile phone and headphones as a stand...
Also even if you can get right up against the glass, with wide angles you may still need something to block the glare. At least in these buildings because there are food bars behind the observation areas. I was using my bag and my jacket. I wonder if they would let you get away with a black blanket and tape. ;)

·
13,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
For not having a tripod with you it certainly did. When I was there I was in some sort of restaurant if I remember correctly. Back in 2009. Are you allowed to set up a tripod there?? I recently met up with a Flickr member who visits a lot of tall buildings [restaurants on top, conference rooms, etc.] and he has a great solution for not having a tripod. It's called a beanbag. It's really small and easy to use, just make sure your lens is really close to the glass of the window and all reflections should be gone. Makes a great Christmas present :D
I don't know if you can use a tripod at the John Hancock Center. The Willis Tower lets you do it however. I hadn't even brought mine because this was on a school trip, so I had limited room in my luggage for it. I just ended up leading against the window and steel beams to keep my hands as steady as possible.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts