Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 226 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There has been talks recently about a unified Rugby code, with Rugby League and Rugby Union merging, it was brought up by John O'Neill head of the ARU and has been supported by Denis Fitzgerald, head of the Parramatta Eels, but has been rejected by NRL boss David Gallop. What is everybodys thoughts?

Articles:
Rugby Codes Should Merge: Fitzy - http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,23891415-23214,00.html

David Gallop Cool on Uniting Codes
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/sport/nrl/story/0,26799,23868351-5006066,00.html

Union and League in the Battle for Third: O'Neill
http://www.rugbyheaven.com.au/news/...or-third-oneill/2008/06/15/1213468223395.html

·
QUEENSLANDER!!!
2,567 Posts
dennis fitzgerals is a fuckwit!!!

there would never be an agreement of the two codes. they don't really like each other even when you consider the similarities between the two games. if it came down to the ultimate survival of the two codes in the future, i would go along with it, but always dream of the 'real' best game on earth, RL.

rugby has all the money, but not the talent. League has all the talent, but not the money.

either way, if the two codes did merge, anything would be better than AFL. **** me dead!!!

·
#pantherpride
1,561 Posts
Apparently there's a "hybrid" game that has been formulated, with the aim of targetting it at the grassroots level (i.e. young kids). Forgotten the nuts and bolts of it (I think it was an article on rugbyheaven) but it was a mix of both games, in terms of rules, etc. but I think is 13 a side.

I suppose this type of program would be seen as perhaps a way of by stealth unifying the codes in the future.

·
Registered
8,624 Posts
i think it would be good if they could, but its never going to happen. Mainly because of the international game, League wont want scrums or lineouts but rugby union wont change because the IRB and European nations will never allow it.

·
No Fat Chicks
858 Posts
shows how desperate the aru, is what a dumb idea

·
QUEENSLANDER!!!
2,567 Posts
a hybrid version of the game could be rugby league, but with contesting scrums. ban penalty goals!

RL could then offer the incentive to dumb down jerseys to all butcher stripe strips with club colours and they would all wear stubbies shorts.

SOLVED! MERGE NOW!!!!!

·
Registered
511 Posts
It will never happen. Remember league was started as a break away from union.

·
Registered
8,624 Posts
yes but a key reason league broke away from union was because union refused to go professional and league wanted to, that professionalism issue isnt a problem anymore.

Its the changes that both codes have gone through since then which would probably prevent this from happening.

Maybe a hybrid game could be tested out against the kiwis, would be good to see players like Tuqiri, Inglis, Giteau, Gasnier and Thurston all playing in the same team.

basically as it stands, Rugby has the internatioal game keeping it alive and League has the domestic market keeping it alive, if these two were combined it would be a fantastic entity. Just cant see it happening.

·
7,975 Posts
Why would you have a hybrid game??

Rugby is obviously the stronger code worldwide, and League is really a pretty average sport. Union is far superior.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Why would you have a hybrid game??

Rugby is obviously the stronger code worldwide, and League is really a pretty average sport. Union is far superior.
How can you say League is an average sport and far superior? Are you one of those fanatics that love seeing scrums for 5 minutes then to have a penalty given and a kick for goal and then have another 5 minutes of rucks and mauls to then gain another penalty and something diferent, a kick for goal. There are a few decent games of union but most turn into a kick and penalty fest.

I'm a bit divided on the issue as it would be good to see one code and thus Australia would be a very dominant side but I couldn't see other countries embracing the concept as the rugby-dominant countries would be weaker for it.

I would like to see a promotional hybrid-game to see how it would stack up. Could be a good charity event and I reckon it would be a great crowd puller.

·
Here Since 2002
7,256 Posts
Granted Australia v Ireland was an interesting game but watching the collapsing scrums and the kicking duels made me switch off to Richie Rich. Union might still be strong outside Australia but inside it seems like it's sliding down to 4th in the "interest" ladder of winter sports, behind AFL, League and Football. On the other end it's not as if League is dying out in England and France - they're expecting either a Welsh or a French side in the Super League and the Catalans team are slowly making inroads to the Spanish border (where it's still Catalunia).

Anyway, the closest thing we'll probably see league face off to union in the same field is probably a game of sevens - backs v backs. League forwards would be a safety risk at the scrums, whilst the fat sacks that they call props in union would just be slaughtered in a 13 a side game. Imagine the Wallabies backs versus the Kangaroos backs: Mortlock v Gasnier, Giteau v Thurston.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
RL should simply begin using rugby union laws. Do it incrementally. Say start with a contested scrum, then line outs and then the ruck and maul laws.

I can't watch RL it is just too phoney.

RL is to rugby what netball is to basketball. Just a chopped down simplified version to make it easier for hoi polloi to grasp.

·
Premium Member
9,601 Posts
You would have to get rid of the breakaways and make it 13 a side. Also lessen the penalties to 2 and the field goals down to 1. Properly contested scrums would be great to see, and with that you would get a return to genuine props, hookers, second rows and locks. In RL now, the hooker is basically a second half back, and all the other forwards are interchangeable, meaning they are not selected (or physically built) for any particular scrummaging skill, just big fit blokes who are more concerned with hit-ups and tackling.

Rucks and mauls in Union can be a total bore, mostly because of the endless and confusing penalties that seem to come from each one. Attempts to fix the rules in the last 10-15 years just seem to have made it worse. Union has a lot of blatant rule bending (killing the ball, offside, etc) if referees sent every infringer to the bin for 10 minutes, maybe over time the message would sink in, and we would have what it is meant to be.

Maybe you could get rid of the line-outs as well. I've never been a big fan of the lifting, 15 years ago you never saw it, but when South Africa came back into Rugby it became all the rage.

I like the way Union plays offside from the kicks, forcing chasers to be run onside by the kicker, or be behind the kick. Why RL allows downtown pre-kick defender positioning I can't understand. One of the most exciting things in the game is seeing a fullback or winger running a ball back through broken play. In RL they get the ball, look up and the defensive line is already there.

I'd get rid of the Union 22 Mark, and have it in-goal only like RL. I'd also get rid of the silly Union rule where the ball goes in goal from the opposition, and they only have to ground it to get a 22 kick. It is great in League to see teams having to run the ball out from their own in-goal. It drives me mad in Union when the guy with the ball in-goal waits for an opposition player to run close to him before grounding the ball, it is so petty, just get on with the game.

It could work, and I think Australia would eventually dominate it, just like League now.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I doubt that the RLIF or IRB are going to take the rantings of two Sydney-based egotistical maniacs (Fitzgerald and O'Neill) seriously.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Nice post Aussie Bhoy. If there is a unified youth game, give 20 years and the supporters of each might be more willing to change.

People underestimate League. In England the Rugby League Super League gets better ratings than the Guiness premiership, and not just in its home in North England, its also bigger in London (crowds and tv audiences).

·
Registered
8,624 Posts
i would like to see how a trial-hybrid game went, but other then that i dont see any future. I dont think its the 'doom and gloom' that people spruik about. I mean the S14 had a 20% increase in tv ratings this year(not including the finals) and the last wallaby test was a 20% increase on last year.

Also, in the global scheme of things Australia might have some of the better players and teams but we definetly dont control either game, the NH have the money and therefore dictate the rules.

1 - 20 of 226 Posts