Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Hanging the boots up
9,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why would you change a prestigious university's name in honor of a great guy who had nothing to do with Unilag!!!

Goodluck? more like bad luck for nigerians

Tufiakwa

·
Student Architect جاري&#15
GG
5,885 Posts
I too was a bit puzzled at the name change. In my opinion it is completely unnecessary even if it was to honor Abiola. They could have renamed a park or a building but an entire uni renamed within 24 hours?

correct me if im wrong but wasn't abiola born / grew up in Abeokuta not lagos. So why name unilag after him and not an Abeokuta university? All this is just so random without any clear justification for a name change, hence why i can understand why some people are mad.

·
Reloaded
921 Posts
Why would you change a prestigious university's name in honor of a great guy who had nothing to do with Unilag!!!

Goodluck? more like bad luck for nigerians

Tufiakwa
:bash: pls this is not Nairaland. Abiola deserves to be honored and why are the freaking MAULAG students protesting! bcos the name is not tush! Na their papa build MAULAG? It is a Fed Govt school, they can call it what ever they want, shikena!:cheers:

·
Expert
21,675 Posts
Abiola was a great philantrophist and he donated a lot of money to Nigerian universities including Unilag (MKO University)

He is also the only Nigerian to have won an Election free and fair.

He is a great man and even though I think the name change is unnecessary, he certainly isn't the worst choice that the presidency could have chosen.

·
Registered
27,497 Posts
Well:? A building would have sufficed
University of Nsukka declined suggestion to change its name for historic reasons.

·
P.E. Aubameyang
5,928 Posts
GEJ should take care of things more important than to think of reappointing a university. This President there disappoints me enormously.

Babatunde Raji Fashola for President 2015!!! Naija has need..

·
Registered
90 Posts
How can you just wakeup and decide to change the name of an institution; no votes by stakeholders, no consultation of their staff, no town hall meetings to engage the government. This is not an autocratic government. There's nothing wrong with changing the name of the institution , but the process of change is blatantly and completely antithetical to the fundamentals of democracy.

·
Registered
27,497 Posts
They said Fashola and others gave their blessing :dunno:

·
Registered
17 Posts
IDk why everyone is worked up about this. No one have given me a legit reason why they disagree with the name change, all they've been saying is "why would they do such as thing"? Please people there're bigger issues to worry about.

·
Registered
27,497 Posts
People like the original name I guess.

Leave it too Nigerians to find ways to make lemonade out of lemons :lol:

MAU(led)
MALU

Are some of the new slogans :D

·
Hanging the boots up
9,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
:bash: pls this is not Nairaland. Abiola deserves to be honored and why are the freaking MAULAG students protesting! bcos the name is not tush! Na their papa build MAULAG? It is a Fed Govt school, they can call it what ever they want, shikena!:cheers:
Lack of vision, useless Government; if you need to immortalize M.K.O, build a monument no change the brand name of such a prestigious University. I don't know how these useless thieves called politicians think. Dr. Jonathan my foot; no single symptom of being a doctorate degree holder in his decision making. Instead of calling it 3rd mainland bridge, how about MKO Abiola bridge?

·
15,239 Posts
So, what's the difference between A school, And a bridge??

Both Are Government owned, public ammenities.... stop moaning..... The name of the school doesn't boost ur "Microscopic" CGPA. :lol: {for those who unfortunately fall in that category}

·
Hanging the boots up
9,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
prestigious what? stop celebrating failure abeg
Its all part of the failure of Nigeria as a nation!!!

You can never imagine Obama changing University of kentucky or kansas to booker t washington university or JFK university, there will be an outrage.

You have a president who didn't consult the most important people at the school..the students!!! He just changed the name because he is the president, this is not a dictatorship..its democrasy!!!

Chineke help us cha!!! I could make a better president than that idiot!

·
Hanging the boots up
9,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So, what's the difference between A school, And a bridge??

Both Are Government owned, public ammenities.... stop moaning..... The name of the school doesn't boost ur "Microscopic" CGPA. :lol:
Government of the people right? Nigerians own the government, the president doesn't dictate what is what, all part of the corruptions that have infested nigeria from day one, so i don't see the point you are trying to make.

·
15,239 Posts
Errrm.... Yeah, government of people quite alright, and school was named after a Nationan figure of the people :lol:
Oga, stop sounding lame.

·
Hanging the boots up
9,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Errrm.... Yeah, government of people quite alright, and school was named after a Nationan figure of the people :lol:
Oga, stop sounding lame.
People like you are the reason why Nigeria is what it is now, with thinking like that!!

·
Reloaded
921 Posts
Government of the people right? Nigerians own the government, the president doesn't dictate what is what, all part of the corruptions that have infested nigeria from day one, so i don't see the point you are trying to make.
For goodness sake once again I repeat this is not NairaLand!!! MAULAG :)cheers:) is owned by the federal Govt. So guys lets move on, better bend down and read than spend all day doing rubbish protest

·
15,239 Posts
People like you are the reason why Nigeria is what it is now, with thinking like that!!
Thinking like YOU, is exactly WHAT is wrong with Naija.

Too many Faulty, ill mannered, and semi-literate people running around the streets, thinking they are so wise......Nairaland shows this well {for those who don't get what I mean, just go to that site and look}.

Well, if u don't like the new name of your school, change College to te one your DAD built ba..... Shebi, u dont want government to name their institutions bi, Abi?? :lol:

·
Hanging the boots up
9,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thinking like YOU, is exactly WHAT is wrong with Naija.

Too many Faulty, ill mannered, and semi-literate people running around the streets, thinking they are so wise......Nairaland shows this well {for those who don't get what I mean, just go to that site and look}.

Well, if u don't like the new name of your school, change College to te one your DAD built ba..... Shebi, u dont want government to name their institutions bi, Abi?? :lol:
The point is that why would you change the name of a major university in nigeria, why not chose a school in abeokuta to name it after.

I don't understand why you keep bringing nairaland into this mata.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts