SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A new 10 storey tower by Squire and Partners is to be built on the site of the old Elizabeth Garrett Anderson Hospital, Euston Road for Unison. It will incorporate the old Victorian hospital building into a mixed use development. Planning permission was given by Camden Council in February of this year.

http://www.squireandpartners.com/

From the architects website;

“Squire and Partners have been appointed by Unison to develop an Office led Headquarters, mixed use scheme on the site of the Grade II listed former Elizabeth Garrett Anderson Hospital, on the Euston Road, Central London.This mixed use development will provide community benefits to Camden and the surrounding area, by the retention of UNISON within the borough and the revitialisation of the listed buildings and a significant site which has been undeveloped and falling into disrepair for a considerable length of time.UNISON's aim is to create a state of the art, modern campus-style development, whilst providing a landmark building on the Euston Road”.

From SSN; http://www.skyscrapernews.com/news.php?ref=1139

"The main office building will be an entirely new build that fronts directly onto Euston Road. It's been designed to have a strong shape with columns and spandrels in limestone running up the and round the building. The double glazing set back from this creates a depth to the facades and adds vertical shading to the glass almost arcading each floor.

In the middle of the building is a large double height balcony whilst the top of the building has a reduced number of columns that give more precedence to the glass behind creating the appearance of a crown whilst maintaining the outer vertical lines.

Combined with the older buildings around it, Unison aim to form part of a campus surrounding a public square behind it on all four sides and pedestrian permeability from Euston Road through to Christopher Place".

Unsurprisingly as with every tall development nowadays there is a local community campaign against the tower who’s concern are recorded here;

http://stoptheunisontower.com/

The site on Euston Road;

The section to be demolished;

Around the side on Churchway;

Model of the new scheme showing the buildings grouped around a covered courtyard;

·
BLAND
8,868 Posts
Nice looking little project

·
Against ID Cards
9,799 Posts
Great project - I like the variation in the length of the vertical lines. Adds a little interest.

·
Registered
18,919 Posts
I dont like the way the smaller structures are level with the top of the roof of the original building. Should have been a floor lower

·
BLAND
8,868 Posts
I dont like the way the smaller structures are level with the top of the roof of the original building. Should have been a floor lower
Hmm not really noticable from the relevant angles though

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
ummm, nice project, looks quite tall for the site and the differing floor heights gives it a degree of uniqueness. There are some fairly shabby boxes around here already, so this definitely helps.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I believe I have said this already, but this is a seriously cool design. Also I hope to be living about 5 minutes' walk away from the site very soon, which can only be a good thing...

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
According to the newsletter there are only a few "concrete obstructions" left to clear and piling of the perimeter wall will start (if it hasn't already - the newsletters tend to be out-of-date). Anyway, crane on site should see some construction soon;

The old Unison building is the grey concrete lump in the middle of the shot - shows how close the two sites are;

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
^^ Looking forward to this one, I've been checking out this site whenever I walk past, basement works seem to be coming along nicely. I was going to post pics myself but nobody seems to care except us... ;)

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
I have to admit I have not been following this project but it appears pretty good - I like the old hospital building very much and am glad it is being conserved and integrated into this project. I hope they keep some of its interiors, too often these can be overlooked even if they can be utilitarian in character.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts