control yourself
4,367 Posts
Glasgow up to 1901

Glasgow c. 1560

Defence of the Cathedral, 1579

Glasgow c.1690

The original Glasgow Uni on High St in 1693

Glasgow 1750

Govan 1757, the large terraced mound to the left was the ancient Moot Hill and probably dated from the 6th Century Royal Burial Cult centred on the (then) village

Glasgow 1762

Glasgow 1768

Nelsons Monument (erected 1806) in 1810 - the lightning brought down the top 20 feet of the obelisk!

Glasgow c. 1817

Glasgow in 1824

1830/40, the quarry that would become Queen St Station

Govan, 1845 - still an independant burgh at this time

Glasgow 1864

The 1901 Glasgow International Exhibition, Kelvingrove

·
Registered
14,975 Posts
Prospect of Birmingham from William Hutton's History of Birmingham from 1783

Spire dead ahead is St Martin's in the Bull Ring with St Philips Cathedral with the dome futher behind it.
Edit: at this point St Philips was still just a church and St Martin's in the Bull Ring was (and still is) the Parish church.

·
do me bad things
7,551 Posts
From "Sheffield Replanned 1945", published by the Sheffield Town Planning Committee, proposing how to rebuild the City Centre following extensive damage in World War Two.

Almost all of these proposals didn't come to fruition - with the notable exception of the very wide dual carriageways.

Sorry, the last two don't really fit into the thread (or the first one for that matter!) but it's all part of the same book, so I figured worth adding

·
BAND
12,229 Posts
I would love to have seen that in the flesh (the actual buildings I mean, not the book). Yeah it would've looked communist, but it'd be bloody impressive! (Of course by this day and age it would've all become a complete shithole so I think we're better off with what we've got)

·
do me bad things
7,551 Posts
Nice and communist.
Brutal ain't it?:)

I'd argue that to a certain extent we already have the Corn Exchange (5th image) but we call it Park Square and run a tram over it, and we had High Street Squate, but we called it Castle Square/Hole in the Road, and it had a subway beneath it (and a fish tank!) with access into the basement levels of some of the shops.

Muddycoffee has also commented that the Technical College/Bus Station is also very similar to what we have now, and I agree with this too.

Shame we didn't get new Chester Street, but the Civic circle I think would be drawn the city cwentre boundaries far to restrictively, and we'd only be doing now what we've been doing for the past decade, and returning the dual-carriageways to single-carriageway with bus lanes

·
Registered
31,495 Posts
I would agree with that too. I don't really like Sheffield Interchange though; I personally don't think that format of bus station is the most efficient use of space. I wonder why the planners had the vision to do that, rather than the reverse in/out format seen in most towns/cities.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.