SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Banned
29,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many of you had seen my photo threads on some large American cities such as Boston and Philadelphia, New York and Orlando and others. I decided to create a thread dedicated to the whole country as witnessed by me. During my temporary but long stay, I tried to visit as many places as I could, both for pleasure and business.

At first I thought of putting one of my pictures of the Capitol in Washington D.C. as the first picture in this thread, but what America really is about is roads.

I worked as a salesman driving from town to town, city to city in the surrounding area of the New York City and sometimes I took my camera with me.

I intend to upload this thread with some short descriptions and *less* pictures of the aforementioned cities than their respected threads had.

I begin. Arriving in Yonkers, a small town just above NYC with a population of 200,000 but which feels like no more than two thousand, I stop for a minute break when I see this nice green area to my right.

The town itself feels both like New York and at the same time very provincial, especially when I saw a tractor drive pass by me. In one of the outskirts, I stop to take a picture of splendid nature that is everywhere in Yonkers.

City has some interesting clearly European in style pieces of architecture in downtown

Hours later I'm done and head back to THE city

And just a random picture of a morning drive on the BQE (Brooklyn-Queens Expressway). On the left is Jersey City, on the right lower Manhattan (NYC).

To be continued

·
Banned
29,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Now we're on our way to the or one of the most dangerous American cities.

In 1996, MONEY Magazine ranked Newark "The Most Dangerous City in the Nation."[37] In 2006, Newark had 104 homicides, which was the highest since 1995 and a spike from the 83 in 2004.

Visiting Newark was a natural choice, because while most New Jersey is suburban or small nice towns, Newark is the largest city with a real downtown and even some interesting skyscrapers.

Taking a convenient and cheap $1.50 path train ride from NYC, we arrive at the Penn station Newark... after dark

The train terminal is small but nice

Downtown cluster

This interesting highrise dates back to 1926 when the city wasn't notorious for its crime

At night it's creepy. No pedestrians and no cars around, it's very quiet... well, it was quiet until I witnessed a large group of young people violently engaged in a fight in the center of the city. Luckily they didn't not assault me as I walked pass by.

City center has a lot of monuments, statues, interesting Churches and other buildings. Newark is part of the colonial New Netherlands, the former Dutch colony that encompassed New York, New Jersey and Connecticut.

Tram stop

And a magnificent Basilica Cathedral, my final destination. It's in French neo-Gothic style and seems somewhat out of place in this location.

And a long walk back to the train station

Full report on Newark, NJ can be found here
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=587404

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Newark dangerous? Please....that's a laugh. Those cliffs across from Yonkers are the Palisades as in the song "Palisades Park". If Newark were in Africa it would be one of the richest cities!

"According to legend, the Texas-born artist Robert Rauschenberg accidentally left his bus in Newark and spent a week there before he realized it wasn't New York City."

Mogadishu... now that's dangerous....or Singapore, they will cane you and kill you for smoking marijuana.

·
Banned
29,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks.

Mogadishu and Singapore are not in America.

·
Registered
36 Posts
WOW,

Beautiful pics! I didn't know there were places in Newark that looked like that!

That church is beautiful and wonderfully lit up!

I can't wait till you get to New York City :)

·
Banned
29,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
New York City

The greatest city I've ever been to, fascinating for urban history buffs and of course skyscrapers fanatics.

I could easily flood this thread with my pics of New York, so I will try to limit it as much as possible.

This is the view of the downtown, also known as lower Manhattan. The view is from Brooklyn, by the Manhattan bridge. The main bridges connected Manhattan (the most interesting borough in the city) are Brooklyn bridge, Manhattan bridge, Willimsburg bridge, Queensborough bridge, Triborough Bridge and Washington bridge.

This is the view from Weehawken, New Jersey, a small town across the Hudson river.

Manhattan bridge

The Statue of Liberty, but more about her in greater detail later on

The Castle looking skyscraper with green roof that is roughly where Brooklyn bridge ends is the Woolworth building, my favorite skyscraper in the world.

Long time ago, New York used to have trams, sometimes you will come across these old tracks from the past

Time square area, the tourist/commercial center of the city, with more lights and advertisements than anywhere else

Empire State Building, the most famous skyscraper in the world

Subway is the most convenient way of traveling, however it's extra ugly in New York, possibly the ugliest subway system in the world... but it works 24/7 and gets you almost anywhere

Now lady liberty up close

and her back too

Spectacular view of New York City and Jersey City from the Liberty Island (where Statue of Liberty is located)

Central park

Taken from Manhattan bridge. Most bridges are pedestrian friendly.

Financial heart of the country, the stock exchange

Washington bridge connects NYC with Fort Lee, New Jersey

The lonely skyscraper in the background is in Queens, the larger borough in NYC

From Weehawken, NJ again

And again from weehawken, but now we're looking at Jersey City on the right and lower Manhattan on the left

Automobile accident happened a second ago, I was coincidentally standing with a camera by the window

This is also New York City, in the Brooklyn borough, nearly untouched territories in the Jamaica Bay can still be found there. There's actually an interesting story when myself and a couple of other people went on a boat in the middle of the night to land on one of the islands in the middle of the Jamaica Bay and our motor broke, we were attacked by crows and insects... unfortunately no pictures available

City Hall

New York is home to one of the greatest universities in the world...

View from Queens

·
Banned
29,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks, guys. I'll post more New York later, now it's time for another world wide famous location: YALE UNIVERSITY

Yale University is located in a region historically known as both New England and New Netherlands for obvious reasons. The city in which it's situated is New Haven in the state of Connecticut. The wealthiest state in the United States.

City population is 124,001. It was settled in 1638.

Driving into the city

Enormous parking ensemble

Downtown

And now the actual Yale University. It's like a British town within a city.

Back on the road again

Full New Haven | Yale University report can be found here
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=573112

·
レジスタドユ&#
1,418 Posts
Let's not post New York pics again. After all, America is the land between New York and Los Angeles.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts