SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Gamecocks&Skyscrapers fan
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The University of South Carolina announces $141 million research campus

Three USC research buildings, two private buildings and two parking garages — costing $141.2 million — are part of a detailed vision of the first phase of USC’s new research campus being unveiled today.

Graphics

More info

Economic impact

With this announcement today we have well over $1 Billion in projects under construction or announced in Columbia since the first of the year. Other big projects announced or currently under construction include:

$300 million Richland Mall redevelopment
$250 million Village at Sandhill under construction
$100 million condo development on Lake Murray
$40 million First Citizens Tower
$90 million Lexington County Hospital expansion
$77 million Heart Center expansion at Palmetto Richland Memorial Hospital
$141 million USC Research Campus phase one
$17.5 million USC baseball stadium
$30+ million conversion of Granby and Olympia Mills into lofts

Others:

Hilton Convention Center hotel
Lady Street beautification
Main Street beautification
Five Points beautification
Renaissance Plaza
2 Huger Street office buildings
Palmetto Building hotel renovation
Barringer Building conversion to apartments
American Sentinel Life building conversion to condos
The Spur at Williams-Brice
Gameday Condos
Canalside (if a developer is ever chosen)
Congaree Village
Stadium Village Lofts
Others that I can't remember...

·
Registered
140 Posts
this sounds great for the area. I didnt know there was so much going on there. University projects like this are great...they often create lots of jobs and bring a greater demand for retail/support services sometimes.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Yeah, there's a lot going on in Columbia, as well as Greenville, these days. In about 3 years, downtown Columbia will look NOTHING like it did 5 years ago.

·
Charlotte
684 Posts
I love Columbia. There are some really exciting things going on there. This is a great development that will really add to the cities already dense core. The city has to be extremely proud with what the University contributes. Of all the urban schools in the South, USC is definitely one of the tops (if not the tops) in terms of contributing to a city center’s development. Especially with the opening of the Colonial Center arena and the new baseball stadium on the way. I’m also particularly impressed with the way USC’s highrises contribute to the skyline.

·
Registered
124 Posts
This is a great post! Thanks for updating us, I had been wondering what was going on in ole Columbia. I hadn't heard much news lately. I think Columbia has a lot to look forward to in the coming years.

·
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
More Significant Development News Today

State Hospital Campus to be redeveloped into a downtown village:

The State of South Carolina is moving what remains of the historic State Hospital on the edge of downtown Columbia. This is a huge area that will be redeveloped in the heart of the city and is being called "an opportunity that will never come again". The setting is beautiful; huge old trees, a stream, rolling hills AND location. This 148 acre development has had a design announced, but not yet a price tag. With the magnitude of the development I am expecting something in the neighborhood of $500M to $1B before it's all said and done - another huge development in a year of huge developments in Columbia.

BUILDING OUR CITY

Bull Street design is unveiled

Architect recommends saving portions of Babcock Building and trees on former State Hospital campus

By JEFF WILKINSON

Staff Writer

A Miami-based architect hired to redesign the old State Hospital campus on Bull Street is advocating that six of the 54 buildings be saved — among them the central part of the iconic Babcock Building — as well as about 75 percent of the trees.

Also, Andres Duany, of the Duany Plater-Zyberk & Co. firm, is advocating an underground stream, now in culverts under the property, be “daylighted” and enlarged into a small lake. The flood plain around it then could be used for hiking and biking trails.

Those recommendations, revealed to government officials Tuesday, are far from final. They are the first flurry of ideas in a weeklong input and planning session. By the end of next week, the sessions are expected to produce a redevelopment blueprint for the site’s 148 acres.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
If there are threads for Mobile and Lexington developments, I don't see why not.

If we had enough folks over here from Greenville, with all that's going on over that way, that would warrant its own thread as well.

·
Megalomaniac
4,171 Posts
awesome.

-

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
It just keeps getting better and better for Columbia

Columbia is on a roll; let's add another $7 million to that new developments figure:

New, unique Main Street condos

$7 million building to be first new residential structure downtown in more than a century

By C. GRANT JACKSON

Business Editor

Two of Columbia’s premier downtown redevelopers are teaming up to build what might be the first brand-new residences on Main Street since the 1800s.

Tom and Madeline Prioreschi of Capitol Places and Ray and Patz Carter of Carter Properties will put 32 residential condominiums in a new four-story building at 1520 Main St. The building is across from the Columbia Museum of Art.

Built in the 1940s for Walgreen’s, the existing structure will be demolished. Groundbreaking on the $7 million project is targeted for June 9, with work expected to be completed by the summer of 2006, Prioreschi said.

There are dozens of condos and apartments in renovated buildings downtown. But the 1520 Main project is important because it is new construction that, downtown living advocates say, will attract residents who don’t want to live in an old building.

“It is exciting most notably because it is new residential construction in the heart of downtown,” said Matt Kennell, president of the City Center Partnership. “As far I know there hasn’t been any new residential construction for more than a hundred years.”

Fred Delk, executive director of the Columbia Development Corp., called the new residential construction on Main Street project “incredibly significant.”

“That is indicative of the new residential construction that is happening all over the city center,” he said.

New construction has become common in the nearby Vista, spurred, Delk says, by the opening of a downtown grocery store, the Publix at Huger and Gervais streets.

Projects like 1520 Main continue downtown’s revival, he said.

“The people who are going to live in these types of units are people with a certain kind of lifestyle that is really supportive of the downtown retailer, the artist, the restaurants — the kind of vibrant, creative businesses that we have downtown,” Delk said...

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Design details emerge for USC baseball stadium

Plans include plaza, playground, berms for seating

A view from the outfield

By JOHN C. DRAKE

Staff Writer

Plans for USC’s $17.5 million baseball stadium include grass berms for seating behind the outfield, a children’s playground behind center field, and a food court above the stands, so fans can grab a hot dog and not miss the action.

USC has put together a preliminary design of its planned Congaree Vista baseball stadium for review by the city of Columbia. Among the most significant issues being worked out is parking. A 150-space lot is the only parking specifically designated for the arena in the plans.

While much about the design is in flux, a few things are certain.

The grandstand and homeplate will face northeast from a new intersection at Wayne and College streets. Spectators will almost certainly have a clear view of the Adluh flour building, a Vista landmark. They may also be able to see the State House dome and portions of Columbia’s skyline.

Also, a plaza — one name being considered is the Sarge Frye Walk of Champions Plaza — will be positioned south of the first base line.

“The idea was to create a place for pre-game activities,” said Joe Rogers, director of facilities, planning and operations for USC. “You could have food vendors or people selling souvenirs or spaces for fan clubs to meet.”

The plaza also may include information about former Carolina baseball players on the sidewalk, a display of significant events in the history of the program, and information about the baseball stadium. Some tribute to Sarge Frye, the longtime former groundskeeper and namesake of the teams’ current home, is likely.

“It sets up great opportunities for public events and a nice place for the public to lounge, even when ballgames or other events are not occurring,” said Fred Delk, executive director of the Columbia Development Corp., which oversees development in the Vista.

To the west of the plaza is a planned 150-space parking lot. That concerns Delk, who had hoped to see more parking included.

While a pair of new parking garages in the Vista — one to serve the convention center and hotel, and a second to serve the USC research campus — will bring 2,400 additional spaces, Delk is concerned there may not be enough parking for daytime games.

“Clearly the issue of parking has not been clearly addressed at this point,” Delk said. “It sets up the potential for disruption of businesses in the Vista, and that is something that could be disastrous.”

Rogers said a parking study is being prepared.

“We know this is going to generate parking demand,” he said. “And we’re working on making sure it’s all accommodated and we do the right thing by all of our neighbors.”

One proposal to help spread out parking is a pedestrian bridge over the railroad on the west side of the stadium.

That would allow spectators to park in the Pulaski Street area and walk over to the stadium. It also would be convenient for baseball fans living in the Vista Commons apartment complex on the other side of the railroad.

In addition to the 6,000 fixed seats, three separate grass berms are planned behind the outfield, with a capacity to seat around 1,000 fans. The berms would be sloped up from the outfield so spectators could see above the 6- to 7-foot solid wall in the outfield, Rogers said.

The press box is one story high and sits above the grandstand, according to preliminary plans.

While USC officials are proposing to extend Wayne Street between Green and Pendleton streets, they may propose to close Pendleton north of the stadium, Rogers said.

All of this is subject to design and site plan approval by the city.

The Planning Commission will hear the case June 6 and, if approved, the City Council would have to take two votes on the plan.

Also, the Design/Development Review Commission, which has jurisdiction over the city center, the Vista and historic areas, will begin considering the design June 7. Its decisions are not subject to review by City Council.

Rogers said the plans continue to be in flux, and the exterior of the building will require approval by the USC Board of Trustees’ architectural review committee.

“It will be something that would be in keeping with the general age and building stock in the Vista area.”

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Graphics of three plans for Bull Street campus

The three plans

Miami-based architect Andres Duany is asking Columbians to react to three proposals unveiled Thursday night for the redevelopment of the State Hospital campus on Bull Street.
The biggest differences in the plans are in how all of that is laid out and in the mix of townhomes, apartments and houses.

* Plan One is the simplest — a classic American rectangular block street grid. This style has dominated town and city centers — including Columbia’s — since the 18th century.

The plan uses many of the existing roads.

* Plan Two uses a gently curving street grid that follows the contours of the land.

The style was developed by Frederick Law Olmsted in the late 19th century. Olmsted designed New York’s Central Park.

Duany’s Olmsted design features a new, diagonal avenue bisecting the Bull Street side of the property, lined with town homes and apartments.

It runs from in front of the Babcock Building northeast to the Wilson Building at the property’s center.

* Plan Three is the more sophisticated design based on a traditional American college campus.

The plan’s hallmark are “vistas,” signature buildings at the ends of streets or avenues — think of the views of the State House from Main Street or the nearby Longstreet Theater on Sumter Street.

The original State Hospital architects used the campus style, creating vistas with the Babcock and Williams buildings. Duany would preserve those vistas and carry the theme throughout the development.

The issue with this design may be the cost. It would require more highly designed buildings and move expensive materials.

“It reflects more of the character, composition and textures” of the historic campus, Duany said.

·
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Residential/Retail project in the works downtown

It looks like plans are in the works for a major residential/retail project in downtown Columbia adjacent to the USC campus. Because of the small footprint of the available land at this site I would expect a highrise building. Let's hope for an awesome addition to the Columbia skyline.

The State: Holder Properties residential venture

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
"Building Our City"

The State has an extra entitled "Building Our City" which captures the major developments proposed and underway in Columbia.

·
Registered
11,741 Posts
Columbia is growing and there is ALLOT of development going on. I just can't wait for THEE announcement for a new tallest for the city. :D I'd like to see something in the mid to late 400 foot range. ;)

·
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
StevenW said:
Columbia is growing and there is ALLOT of development going on. I just can't wait for THEE announcement for a new tallest for the city. :D I'd like to see something in the mid to late 400 foot range. ;)
I agree with you, Steven. I haven't seen you post in awhile. I wouldn't be surprised to see a new tallest announced in the near future with all of the momentum going on right now. I can't wait to see what the residential development on Main at Blossom will be.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts