SkyscraperCity Forum banner

UNIVERSITY OF AUCKLAND | SCHOOL OF ENGINEERING | Grafton Rd | Completed

15K views 30 replies 17 participants last post by  AuckLad 
#1 ·
AUCKLAND UNIVERSITY SCHOOL OF ENGINEERING

Auckland University today released an image of its planned $281.9 million engineering faculty building.

The new City Campus building will incorporate leading-edge technologies

The 1960s building on the site will be demolished to make way for the new building which will be 11 storeys compared with the existing five.

Key features will be access from Grafton Rd into a large open atrium space and a roof-top facility for telecommunications and environmental monitoring.

Peter Fehl, property services director, said the new building would be 30,000sq m or 3ha of new City Campus floor space. Students would move to other university buildings while this process was under way.

Engineering post-graduates already have newly rebuilt facilities on the Newmarket campus after the Lion Breweries site was purchased.

Dean of Engineering Nic Smith said the new City Campus engineering building was a big step forward.

"The new building has a level of engineering design that means students are in an environment where sophisticated engineering concepts and leading-edge technologies are simply part of the building itself," Smith said.

"It also gives us unprecedented flexibility, not only in the way we use teaching spaces but in our ability to incorporate multi-disciplinary learning spaces where students from different departments are exposed to the full range of engineering sciences and disciplines."

- NZ Herald

See less See more
#18 ·
Thanks for the renders, the big question is whether Auckland University and Auckland Transport will proactively manage the mess that is Grafton Rd outside the engineering and business school. Whenever I've mentioned this street to AT I get told nothing will happen until UoA has constructed their tower. Unlike AUT who has paid for St Paul Street to be turned into a shared space and Governor Fitzroy into a plaza, I get the impression Auckland University would much rather their campus was criss crossed by major arterials. Their new rec centre also removes all of the bike parking on the central campus. An urban minded university they are not.

#20 ·
The east side is like Bledisloe House with fins. Wide, stumpy and overbearing on the wider landscape.

The Symonds Street side is a new kind of ugly. Closed in, grey, industrial with an apologetic dash of colour.

It's like the architect is saying sorry - there's nothing I could do so here's some colour kthxbai

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.