Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
MD Parrothead
166 Posts
Don't need pics to tell you to go to MD! GO TERPS!!!

MD =
better campus
better sports (c'mon ACC!!!)
Minutes from DC

Sorry U of D folks. I don't actaully have anything against your school. Just supporting mine! Sorry I don't have any pics. But there was a neat story about a huge East Campus project about to kick off. I can't seem to find it though. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Don't need pics to tell you to go to MD! GO TERPS!!!

MD =
better campus
better sports (c'mon ACC!!!)
Minutes from DC

Sorry U of D folks. I don't actaully have anything against your school. Just supporting mine! Sorry I don't have any pics. But there was a neat story about a huge East Campus project about to kick off. I can't seem to find it though. Good luck!
I had a love/hate relationship with that school, the surrounding area called the "City" of College Park sucks though. It's embarrassing for a state flagship school. From the dirty, ghetto University Blvd/Langley Park area to the west and the shady Baltimore/Route 1 in the SE quadrant.

I often wonder where potential students stay when visiting the campus, there are no good hotels in the immediate area and I would hate to have to walk around that shady place.

·
MD Parrothead
166 Posts
I agree that the surrounding area is not the best but is getting better. A lot better. There are big plans to redevelop the entire Route 1 corridor and the plans I've seen look fantastic. The campus itself is nice in my opinion. I used to live in South Hill and I've heard from someone that they did a lot of work creating a community area where the basketball courts used to be.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
I had a love/hate relationship with that school, the surrounding area called the "City" of College Park sucks though. It's embarrassing for a state flagship school. From the dirty, ghetto University Blvd/Langley Park area to the west and the shady Baltimore/Route 1 in the SE quadrant.

I often wonder where potential students stay when visiting the campus, there are no good hotels in the immediate area and I would hate to have to walk around that shady place.
Touche. I'd still take Maryland over UDel in a HEARTBEAT though.

And that's coming from a guy who spent a whole year in a ghetto apartment on ghetto ass University Blvd as an undergraduate.

·
DJ Michael
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies, so UMDCP campus is nice but surrounding areas, not so much. I've been to UD's campus and surrounding areas and like both, particulary Main Street in Newark. Guess I'll have to visit UMDCP to decide.

·
Registered
789 Posts
if u like oversized schools where u can literally have a mile walk between classes, and enjoy being just a number go for it. big schools like umcp are just money generating machines. Pepsi means more to the admin than what u ever will.

·
MD Parrothead
166 Posts
if u like oversized schools where u can literally have a mile walk between classes, and enjoy being just a number go for it. big schools like umcp are just money generating machines. Pepsi means more to the admin than what u ever will.
Good grief! I used to hear this 20 years ago when I was a freshmen applying for colleges. Sure UMCP is big. But it's no different then many other major state schools. Who cares if the administration knows your name? College is what you make of it. Once you get into your major and start taking smaller classes with a core group of professors, the size of the school doesn't matter anymore. On the contrary, the MD's large size gives you the opportunity to experience so many different things. I had a great experience at UMCP and would recommend it to anyone. But you should visit it for yourself first.:soapbox:

TERP FOR LIFE! :)

·
Registered
392 Posts
Good grief! I used to hear this 20 years ago when I was a freshmen applying for colleges. Sure UMCP is big. But it's no different then many other major state schools. Who cares if the administration knows your name? College is what you make of it. Once you get into your major and start taking smaller classes with a core group of professors, the size of the school doesn't matter anymore. On the contrary, the MD's large size gives you the opportunity to experience so many different things. I had a great experience at UMCP and would recommend it to anyone. But you should visit it for yourself first.:soapbox:

TERP FOR LIFE! :)

Agreed. If someone wants to go to some tiny liberal arts college they can. This has nothing to do with the fact that a larger school like College Park offers a great place to spend four (or more) years. Back to the original topic, I'd check out the following site to see the development on and around campus. The East Campus development in particular is going to do wonders to change the area surrounding the university.

http://www.rethinkcollegepark.net/blog/

·
Registered
777 Posts
What happened to choosing a college that supported your goals and fits your needs as an individual? Are they accredited in your major? How does the school rank against others? What are the opportunities for your growth as an individual? Sure, a nice looking campus my be pleasing to the eye, but if it can't do anything for you, spend your thousands of dollars elsewhere. College is too expensive to make decisions on the insignificant.

·
DJ Michael
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I will still strongly consider UMCP because I know a few people who are going there now, I definantly want a school with over 20,000 students which UD has, what about UMCP?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts