SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, does anybody have pictures of UM's campus? And how is their Architecture program is it any good for undergraduate or for grad school?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Can't say from personal experience, but my brother in law is a graduate of their undergraduate arch. program, and his younger brother is currently enrolled. They speak very well of their experiences there and my brother in law went on to be accepted at Harvard for his graduate degree. The overall campus is absolutely beautiful, I'm sure you can find plenty of pics on their website which should be www.miami.edu

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
from what i've heard the UM ARCH College is one of or the best in the state.also the campus was just rate the 6th best looking campus in the U.S.

·
Banned
3,888 Posts
Archit_K said:
Hey, does anybody have pictures of UM's campus? And how is their Architecture program is it any good for undergraduate or for grad school?
There program is one or the best in the United States. Elizabeth Plater-Zyberk and Andres Duany co-authored "Suburban Nation" the foremost authority on New Urbanism. Ironically, they were with Arquatectonica when they designed the high rises on south brickell.
Look for a 140 acre project headed by the U of M school of Architecture coming soon. It is a community that will be a nice labratory for urban planning and design.
I saw UM President Donna Shallalah (Pres. Clinton's director of heath and human services) speak last Saturday on the architectural projects spearheaded by the University.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The UM architecture school is very well respected. Roark is absolutely correct that the Duany-Zyberk new urbanism affiliation makes the UM school of architecture quite distinctive. My law degree is from UM, and I'm currently getting a master's degree in real estate development throught the law school-we've had guest lecturers come over from the architecture school to give presentations on new urbanism and current projects they're involved in. I'm very impressed, but more importantly, people in the architectural community (very different from the legal/finance community) are impressed by what UM is doing. As for the aesthetics of the UM campus- I'm from North Florida, I went to UF for my udergraduate degree, and honestly it took some time for me to adjust- its just different. Now that I've become "South Floridaized", I think UM's campus is indeed quite beautiful. I'd have to agree with the Mad Hatter's source that UM's campus must be among the top in the U.S. Hope that input helps Archit_k.

·
Registered
42 Posts
i go there ! i havnt studied anywhere else so i cant compare it to any. its not architecture only, its fused with urbanism and town planning, so thats a plus. It is classical in a sense, but only cause they teach you architecture from its early origins of the times of palladio and and As you progress farther in your education, it starts to get a bit broader in perspective, modern. the teachings rnt as abstract though. theyre very real. you get to design actual buildings for ur projects and learn each typology's program. i like the program here. school isnt as big. and its cool. beautiful campus.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts