SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 1399 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Show your pictures you've taken at the University of Washington.

I got the idea from a Penn State "superthread". Why not UW; there are quite a few people in Seattle, including many Huskies.

Most of the images I have were taken in July when no one was aroudn and the sun was out :)

I'll start with Suzzallo Library for now.

The grand staircase

The reading room

apparently, it's the largest by volume of any university in the country

Broken Obelisk in front of Kane Hall (oh no! Chemistry final lol)

Skybridge to Red Square from 15th.

I'll post pictures outside of red square later. Please contribute to this! I'm not going to call this "my" thread so show off your pictures.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Great pics and good idea for a thread. The UW campus is tough to top. Have you guys checked out Microsoft's version of Google Maps? I could practically look into my former dorm and fraternity rooms at the UW with it.

http://local.live.com/

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Here is a quick UW housing aerial tour:

McMahon Hall & Haggett Hall on the NE corner of the campus. Both are perched on top of the hill and have awesome views of Lake Washington. Some of the higher floors in McMahon can see the Space Needle and the Olympic Mts. These are the closest dorms to the center of campus.

McCarty Hall (bottom) and Hansee Hall (top right). These two are just north of McMahon & Haggett on the NE corner of the campus. Denny Field, the original home of the Husky football is the the middle of pic. The building on the left is the drama dept. There still is a swimming pool in the building as it once was the women's gymnasium.

Here is Terry and Lander, Mercer Hall, & Stevens Court campus Apts. This is located a few blocks SE off of the main campus in the University District. Terry and Lander has views of Portage Bay and Downtown Seattle. For students wanting the urban expeirence, this is the place. The Ave is a block away and the last U-District to downtown express bus stop is right in front of the building.

Just north of campus across NE 45th is the Greek System. 28 fraternities and 17 sororities make up the Greek System. Some of that largest fraternal structures in the country are found in the UW Greek System. Most of the houses are located between 17th NE and 21st NE. Here is the heart of the Greek System:

Here is a close-up on some fraternities and sororities on 21st & 22nd:

Some more fraternities at the corner of 21st & 47th:

Close-up of some of the fraternities and sororities on 17th & 18th:

A few fraternities and a sorority have skybridges that link to annexes:

NE 47th at 18th & 19th:

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
And you can't have a University of Washington thread without Husky Stadium:

I will post some pics I took myself if I can find some not too dated on my old hard drive.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
This is a cool thread, I dont have a camera otherwise I would take pics of the campus too.

PDXPaul said:
Kane hall is so butt frickin' ugly... Odegaard too, but not as bad as Kane. Ugh.
Kane 130 is a nice room, and odegaard rules I love that library

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One of my favorite parts:
Here are a few pictures of the quad (liberal arts quadrangle)
Like my other pictures, take note that these are from July.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I think the interior of kane is great, the lecture halls are clean and new looking and have good accoustics. It's just that concrete column front facade, the 'modernist interpretation of suzzallo' that I hate. It's ugly, I dare you to come and walk into it everyday and not think it's ugly. Because it is.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
^ I talked to a geography professor who was in Smith Hall during the Nisqually Earthquake of 2001. He was using the copy machine at the time and thought he broke the machine and was causing all the commotion. It wasn't until he went back to his office and saw all of his books on the floor that he realized it was an earthquake.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sounder said:
Here is an aerial of the Quad, which was posted above at people level. What's up with Raitt Hall?

It is undergoing masonry abatement, and that is why it is in its white caccoon.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
SJM said:
This is a cool thread, I dont have a camera otherwise I would take pics of the campus too.

Kane 130 is a nice room, and odegaard rules I love that library
I'm in it now, "studying for chemistry"

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
The quad is easily the most beautiful area of campus, along with rainier vista and the fountain. The UW attracts so many students because of the campus and how awesome it is. I saw some pretty cool models of Red Square and how they plan on possibly re-doing it. they were really cool.

·
Banned
9,194 Posts
There are two public universitities in the US that share an awful lot in common: the University of Washington and the University of Minnesota. These two are the prime example of a large, major US (and biggest cities in their respective states) housing their state's flagship public university. Seattle and Minneapolis also are the only major metros in their seat.

I don't really see the same Seattle/Mpls realtionship with their flagship u, in places like Salt Lake, Columbus.

There are some differences, of course. The U of M is virtually in downtown Mpls while UW is in residential Seattle.

Still, the parralels are great.

Yet the University of Washington, from all appearances, is able to generate a strong on-campus population (as opposed to the computer oriented U of M). And UW is able to generate far more interest in football than U of M (I suspect having an on campus stadium is a factor).

The University of Washington seems more of a match to less urban flagships than the University of Minnesota, which proably screams "urban" more than any state's flagship university.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
^^Although UW isn't in downtown, the setting is still urban with the University district to the West. Everything you'll need, essentially is close by, as long as you're willing to walk for 15-30 minutes, depending on what part of campus you live at and where you're trying to go. If you want a big box store, you're going to have to take a bus.

Anyway, here are Mary Gates and Johnson Halls. They are essentially complimentary buildings flanking the path from red square to the fountain. When the campus was much smaller, Mary Gates was originally the Physics building and Johnson was the Natural Science building. Mary Gates obviously wasn't called "Mary Gates" originally, it was simply the "Physics Building". Correct me if I'm wrong on any of this.

These are some of my favorites on campus. The look like castles.

I spend a lot of my time at Mary Gates, the center for undergraduate education; they have tutoring and limited review sessions on every school night. It also has a large computer lab with over 100 machines, including Apple G5 computers and Dell [something]; all the computers have very large LCD monitors by the respective brands. It is also the place for academic advising.

Mary Gates Commons. A great place for studying and this is where the CLUE tutoring area is from 7-12 on school nights. It's a beehive of activity most of the time.

I'm not sure about Johnson; since it is being renovated right now, and I haven't been in, but it will be open for winter quarter it seems.
Here you can see all the trailers in front.

That's all I have of these two buildings. Maybe if I'm feeling better than lazy after finals, I'll take some more everywhere.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Some September Pictures.

Here are pictures of some of the buildings around Drumheller fountain, which has a stupid fence around it now.

Another Mary Gates picture I found:

Chemistry building (left) and Bagley Hall, part of the chemistry department. They are connected.

The electrical engineering building. A good modern twist on collegiate gothic.

Looking up towards Red Square. I am looking forward to the removal of the construction stuff.

1 - 20 of 1399 Posts