SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Macy's Inc. announced Wednesday plans to open a store at the new University Town Center mall near Lakewood Ranch in Sarasota.

The two-level, 150,000-square-foot store will open in the fall of 2010. Groundbreaking is planned for fall of 2009.

"Sarasota is a very important market for us," Julie Greiner, chairman and chief executive officer of Macy's (NYSE: M) Florida, said in a prepared statement.

University Town Center, located at the intersection of University Parkway and Interstate 75, will incorporate retailers, restaurants and entertainment along with hotels, offices and residences.

The 900,000-square-foot mall(with a finished total of 1.7 million sq/ft) will also be anchored by Nordstrom's and Neiman Marcus. It is being developed by The Forbes Co., The Taubman Co. and Benderson Development Co.

Taubman (NYSE: TCO) developed International Plaza in Tampa. The company and Forbes, both based in Michigan, have partnered in Florida before at The Mall at Millenia in Orlando and Waterside Shops in Naples.

Taubman, a real estate investment trust, owns or manages 24 retail centers in the United States. The company's Asia subsidiary is developing retail projects in China and South Korea.

Benderson Development, headquartered in Sarasota, is one of the largest privately owned real estate development companies with 540 properties in 35 states. It has 4.5 million square feet of retail property under development.

http://tampabay.bizjournals.com/tampabay/stories/2008/05/19/daily30.html?surround=lfn

·
10,524 Posts
It should really go in the Flroida forum. Not because Sarasota is too far from Tampa, but more because that's where the stickied Sarasota thread is and is the forum where people expect to find stuff on Sarasota. :)

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
i think with the current activity of these sub-forums as of late and the fact these cities are part of greater tampa bay area and not far from Pinellas or Hillsborough the "South Tampa Bay Area"-(what they want to be referred to as, not me) should be included....I am interested in the general Tampa Bay area and that includes Sarasota and Manatee. The Office of Management and Budget is in the process of creating a CSA that eats up those counties, even charlotte county...why not merge them in now. They have been reworking the state with Miami now having 5.4 million, Orlando with close to 2.7 million in the CSA, Jacksonville even added more land area too...we qualify, but once again this was a political issue in our area until a few years back and we should/will have a good 3.8 million without Polk county included soon

·
Registered
85 Posts
^^
Never really heard anyone call us the South Tampa Bay Area down here. Local news media (I mean the ones in Sarasota) tend to try and group us with Southwest Florida. But, you will get a lot different opinions from someone living in Palmetto to someone in North Port. I like having sepperate CSAs, but could see how it would make sense. I guess I would rather us be the center of the 5th largest msa or csa, than just be part of the 2nd largest csa in Florida. But then again, its just a statistic.

I kinda like Sarasota-Bradenton being kept sepearte from the Tampa Bay sub-forum. We would be overshadowed because there is maybe 5 Sarasota-Bradenton posters plus a few others that show some interest (like FloridaFuture and wslupecki).

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Sarasota MSA(now includes Charlotte County) 2007 = 839,995
Tampa MSA 2007 = 2,723,949
for a total of well over the 2007 estimate of 3,563,944...

this is all about claiming the population and infrastructure they are paying for or at least partially paying(municipality extending utilities, general population daytime swells) and to the other end of the spectrum by boasting to a business the employment numbers in the metropolis known as Tampa. All of the south is doing this and like I said earlier Orlando had less political problems and it was approved a few years back(around the same time South Florida and Tampa Bay) and is now in totally full gear with a population(still separate MSAs inside the Greater Orlando CSA) just behind current Tampa MSA population numbers. It didn't add over 600k people in a year:) I am starting to think it really isn't Tampa or the people, its the fact the same crappy government can't spin this city correctly or the Tampa "brand"....I notice on business trips this is changing, ten years ago I never came across a Tampa Bay commerce commercial. TBARTA is also just helping this too.

As for the "South Tampa Bay" region, this is actually something that was and as far as I know something the Sarasota/Bradenton Chamber of Commerce and local governments want to be known as. The Tampa Bay Business Journal and other publications use this term now too.

This isn't some idea I am thinking of, this is something that is going to happen in the next major census...last, but at least we are expanding

AND even though all of this is totally off subject we will still have a smaller land area than almost all of the other metros of the south still

·
Registered
13,967 Posts
:lol:

I'm sure when the Tampa Bay forum was being planned, it was meant for Hillsborough, Pinellas, and Pasco counties only, though some out-of-region stuff makes it in sometimes.

Anyways, back on topic now, I think this development will be a really good thing for the area. It seems that east Manatee County has defied many of the effects of the housing slump thus far and Lakewood Ranch has continued to grow as a result.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
The official Tampa Bay market as it stands though is actually Hernando, Hillsborough, Pasco, and Pinellas...now at about 2.85 million and still growing even though we have a crappy economy. The continuous urban area(AKA Greater Tampa Bay - 4.2 million people now) which the census and local governments do and accounts for the water and considers the Tampa Bay Urban Area to now reach from Polk to the east, Citrus to the north, and North Charlotte to the South...It is the boundaries of our area with political red tape removed and rivalry, naming rights, and city rank gone. We need to get things together and let Tampa stay as the core and pitch the metro in that sense and continue naming the regions "south tampa bay"-sarasota, manatee, "south shore"-anything south of brandon, "northbay/suncoast"-pasco and north...its tricking newbies into the tampa brand from what I can tell, even living in downtown st. pete

this mall will add another apple store, which by the time it is finished it will be the forth or fifth store too...depending on cross creek rumors and timeframe since they have stalled that project and cause delays by months and months

·
jimmy
2,892 Posts
The official Tampa Bay market as it stands though is actually Hernando, Hillsborough, Pasco, and Pinellas...now at about 2.85 million and still growing even though we have a crappy economy. The continuous urban area(AKA Greater Tampa Bay - 4.2 million people now) which the census and local governments do and accounts for the water and considers the Tampa Bay Urban Area to now reach from Polk to the east, Citrus to the north, and North Charlotte to the South...It is the boundaries of our area with political red tape removed and rivalry, naming rights, and city rank gone. We need to get things together and let Tampa stay as the core and pitch the metro in that sense and continue naming the regions "south tampa bay"-sarasota, manatee, "south shore"-anything south of brandon, "northbay/suncoast"-pasco and north...its tricking newbies into the tampa brand from what I can tell, even living in downtown st. pete

this mall will add another apple store, which by the time it is finished it will be the forth or fifth store too...depending on cross creek rumors and timeframe since they have stalled that project and cause delays by months and months
Taubman and Forbes do excellent work, which is evident in their other properties around the state.

Jvance, you seem to be very knowledgeable about this stuff. What went into the Orlando numbers you referenced earlier-- 2.7M, and when did they do the reworking of the CSA's in Florida?

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
The original and still in place MSA consists of Lake, Osceola, Orange and Seminole Counties. The CSA includes those counties in the MSA and adds Volusia County, Flagler County, plus the micropolitan area of The Villages (+Sumter County) to create the Orlando-Deltona-Daytona Beach, Florida, Combined Statistical Area. It went from just over 2 million to a population after of close to 2.7 million making it just a little smaller in population than the Tampa MSA, but much much larger in land area than Tampa....the numbers below now represent Orlando CSA.

Orlando-Kissimmee, FL MSA
Deltona-Daytona Beach-Ormond Beach, FL MSA
Palm Coast, FL MSA
The Villages, FL

This went into place in 2006. For South Florida it was in 2000, for the Tampa Bay Area its now planned for the next big census in 2010...once this happens we will have a population of 4 million and still a smaller land area than the new numbers for South Florida, Orlando, and Jacksonville. It has been in the works since the 90s as the state connected a lot of the urbanized areas with suburbia and created the criteria needed to add land area...(ie:migration patterns, daytime populations- Tampa is second in the southeast as i recall, traffic patterns, density, and so on.

·
jimmy
2,892 Posts
The original and still in place MSA consists of Lake, Osceola, Orange and Seminole Counties. The CSA includes those counties in the MSA and adds Volusia County, Flagler County, plus the micropolitan area of The Villages (+Sumter County) to create the Orlando-Deltona-Daytona Beach, Florida, Combined Statistical Area. It went from just over 2 million to a population after of close to 2.7 million making it just a little smaller in population than the Tampa MSA, but much much larger in land area than Tampa....the numbers below now represent Orlando CSA.

Orlando-Kissimmee, FL MSA
Deltona-Daytona Beach-Ormond Beach, FL MSA
Palm Coast, FL MSA
The Villages, FL

This went into place in 2006. For South Florida it was in 2000, for the Tampa Bay Area its now planned for the next big census in 2010...once this happens we will have a population of 4 million and still a smaller land area than the new numbers for South Florida, Orlando, and Jacksonville. It has been in the works since the 90s as the state connected a lot of the urbanized areas with suburbia and created the criteria needed to add land area...(ie:migration patterns, daytime populations- Tampa is second in the southeast as i recall, traffic patterns, density, and so on.
fascinating.

but how could they add Volusia-Flagler and not Brevard to the Orlando numbers? I see the link with West Volusia which links Volusia. But Brevard ala Titusville etc. and the commuting patterns down 50, 520, and 528, and 192 to an extent-- unless they link Brevard with another CSA.

also, re Tampa CSA or the new one in 2010, the eastern boundary is Polk to the east-- does that include Polk, or is the county line the boundary?

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
the tampa bay CSA will not include Polk County, and Brevard isn't included because the local government wanted to go it alone and already think they have enough exposure already to be known without having to be gobbled up in name by Orlando. Same thing for Polk, they feel like since they are in between two large MSAs/CSAs that they will be recognized alone.....

·
Registered
85 Posts

You seem to confuse MSAs, CSAs and a continuous urban area. They ARE different. A CSA is made up of multiple MSAs or metros. A continuous urban area doesn't mean they are in the same metro... it just means its a continuous urban area......

Sorry, but Tampa is not going to gobble up Sarasota. We are NOTHING like Pasco or Hernando. I am not trying to belittle Pasco or Hernando, but we are not a 'suburb' of Tampa or a bedroom community. This is not political, its just true. I know some people disagree with me (or agree i am sure). Of course Tampa is going to be the key city of the region of West Central Florida. Personally I find the talk a little condescending because you keep tossing the word metro out there instead of region. Just my opinion

1 - 20 of 52 Posts