SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
By Spirit
25,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its off the tourist track, but located near the city.

Balestier Rd shows a side of Singapore that is more in common with other South East Asian cities. It shows an older side of Singapore, with a fascinating mix of temples, shop houses, gritty old buildings and new condos. There are also plenty of cheap hotels in the area.

Here are some pics:

There are plenty of eating options here. Some 'traditional' coffeeshops:

Traditional shophouse architecture:

and a night pic by hyacinthus showing a shophouse lit up in full splendour:

More pics on the way :)

·
By Spirit
25,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks...in fact for some reasons, the feel of that area sometimes reminds me of Thailand...maybe because there are lots of temples in the area...also..many of the road names around that area are inspired by Burmese cities, and there is even a Burmese temple there :)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Is that ’黎記海南雞飯‘(Loy Kee Best Chicken Rice) very famous in Singapore?I saw it in TV drama.

·
By Spirit
25,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What drama was that?

Loy Kee is one of the household brands here. Chicken Rice is supposedly the most popular dish here, and is served all over the country.

·
Registered
8,590 Posts
Wow RafflesCity, such density in the surrounds and a variety of architectural styles. BTW Is the Balestier Road Area renowned in Singapore as being a restaurant/bar precinct?

·
By Spirit
25,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
its definitely known as a supper place...with quite a lot of food choices there...and also a bit of a 'sleazy' area..LOL...definitely quite a different atmosphere from the CBD that most visitors linger in :)

·
6,620 Posts
Awesome pics. I want to marry Singapore. There seem to be a lot of vans on the streets. Any reason for that? You would think with cars being so expensive there that there wouldn't be so many big vehicles.

·
More excitment ahead!!!
17,707 Posts
RafflesCity said:
its definitely known as a supper place...with quite a lot of food choices there...and also a bit of a 'sleazy' area..LOL...definitely quite a different atmosphere from the CBD that most visitors linger in :)
I love the dessert shop in Balestier......:yes:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts