SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to buy my first house/apartment but can't decide where. Like South Manchester and work in Salford Quays. Any advice on where is not too rough, and might be able to get a bargain in an up and coming area. Think Chorlton/Sale would be nice but a little pricey. Any ideas?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I think rolys cracked it with old trafford theres parts that are quite nice. Within walking distance of both chorlton and the quays/

Or if your hard as nails like myself you could risk ordsall, Ideal for both the quays and city centre and cheap as chips, can't think why :runaway:

whats your budget?

·
Cowboy of Love
8,096 Posts
Firswood and round Longford Park. Gorse Hill and North Stretford/ Five ways.
Quite fancy it round there myself what with my rapidly expanding family
..........and book collection......
..............................and mid riff!

·
Less is more.
6,209 Posts
Firswood and Longford Park would be quite pricey though wouldn't they? There's some nice properties around those two places but I shouldn't imagine it's that cheap. Ok for the likes of you obviously. ;)

I wouldn't bother with Gorse Hill it's a dump, and again North Stretford[that's a new one to me] Five Ways won't be cheap.

·
Cowboy of Love
8,096 Posts
Gorse Hill is a dump but your man there sounds like a first timer (so to speak) and i reckon Gorse Hill will be alright in a while.
I reckon if he just wants a one bed flat then the Chester Road corridor may still be in his range.
What about Weaste or Eccles?
Good for the tram - if nothing else! No where near as bad as people make out (like ive just done!) .

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
I live near weaste longford :rant:

Nah, it's a good idea, nice park (don't go in at night) , met, hope hospital, motorway etc etc

·
Less is more.
6,209 Posts
Fair enough but Gorse Hill is quite possibly the most boring place in Greater Manchester, unless you're into hanging out with the local Burberry wearing chav massive outside the takeaway's on Chester Rd. My brother lives in Gorse Hill and he's always trying to persuade me to move there for some reason but honestly..a man of my means living in Gorse Hill? It makes me shudder just thinking about it.

Eccles won't be too bad but not cheap. Well parts of it maybe.

·
van het noorden
1,723 Posts
Whalley Range/Chorlton but pricey. Old Trafford's ok too, but I wouldn't ever live there because it's very.....erm......red.

Ladybarn/Mauldeth Rd and Fallowfield/Withington all ok, and less expensive than the above.

·
10th February 2008
59,922 Posts
Ladybarn Village. Overspill from Withington. 10-15 grand increase in terraced houses (with backyards) since last year. Mine was 130, now it's 145. :) (greed is good)

New Islington/Ancoats.

·
10th February 2008
59,922 Posts
Jongeman said:
Whalley Range/Chorlton but pricey. Old Trafford's ok too, but I wouldn't ever live there because it's very.....erm......red.

Ladybarn/Mauldeth Rd and Fallowfield/Withington all ok, and less expensive than the above.
Hmm. Not as cheap as it used to be Jonge.

·
van het noorden
1,723 Posts
jrb said:
Ladybarn Village. Overspill from Withington. 10-15 grand increase in terraced houses (with backyards) since last year. Mine was 130, now it's 145. :) (greed is good)

New Islington/Ancoats.
I looked at Ladybarn before I settled in the sticks, and 15 years ago everything in south Manchester was 10 grand more expensive.

Mine was 39, now it's 120 :applause:

I thank you :tyty:

I was always a teeny bit disappointed that I couldn't afford south Manchester back then, but then I realised that it's flat! Give me the hills anyday.

·
10th February 2008
59,922 Posts
Jongeman said:
I looked at Ladybarn before I settled in the sticks, and 15 years ago everything in south Manchester was 10 grand more expensive.

Mine was 39, now it's 120 :applause:

I thank you :tyty:

I was always a teeny bit disappointed that I couldn't afford south Manchester back then, but then I realised that it's flat! Give me the hills anyday.
Location, location.

Looking at the sticks myself Jonge. Bolton way.

·
Less is more.
6,209 Posts
Well I like the urban grit of Whalley Range. I know it gives some people a wobbly sphincter but it's really nowhere near as bad as people think. I have a problem with people who see a few black lads walking down the street and automatically assume they are thugged up gangster types who are gonna pop a cap in yo ass when in reality they are probably no different to you or me, they just look better in jeans and trainers.:)

·
Bacon
410 Posts
don't live in the north of bury, it's nice enough but dull as ditchwater and too far out. the sooner i can get my grubby pirate hands on some plundered bounty the better, then i'm off to either didsbury, cheadle or altrincham. the missus knows nothing of this, so don't tell her. i haven't decided if she's coming with me yet :cheers:

where should you live? whalley range end of chorlton? or if the budget won't stretch that far then maybe the chorlton end of whalley range :yes:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts