SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Michigan's Upper Peninsula: One Pic a Day

These pics are from my May '08 jaunt to the family cabin at Cedarville, Michigan, in the Les Cheneaux region of the Eastern Upper Peninsula ("U.P."), about 20 miles East of the Straits of Mackinac on the North shore of Lake Huron.

But I'll start at the tip of Michigan's Lower Peninsula (the "glove"), with the town of Mackinac City & the sweet profile of the Mackinac Bridge:

The lighthouse:

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The Mackinac Bridge (AKA Big Mac, Mighty Mac), which connects Michigan's lower & upper peninsulas; underneath are the Straits of Mackinac, which join Lakes Huron & Michigan. Quick facts: tower height 552 feet (168 m) above water (762 feet (232 m) total inc water); span between towers 3,800 feet (1,158 m); total length 26,372 feet (8,038 m).

The water on the Straights really does have streaks of that intense jade green color - this is not a photo enhancement

(more info on the Mackinac Bridge at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mackinac_Bridge)
(pic, however, is mine)

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
On the bridge. I had to stop the car briefly & roll down the window to snap this one, which is an eerie sensation - you could definitely feel some span movement that day, and the road underneath is an open metal grid some 200 ft (61m) over the water:

·
Registered
11,741 Posts
Love it! Let's see Newberry! :yes: :rock::cheers1::banana2::righton::cheer::wave::nocrook::happy::tongue2::D:dance2::dj::pepper::carrot:

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
^ Passed through Newberry several times this last trip! But wasn't able to grab any pics - sorry :( But next trip up I will, promise!

Night-time shot of Port Dolemite, on the Huron Coast:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts