Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Oh ma Lordee, lookee here
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
You've heard of New York's 'Tar Beaches' haven't you: the tenement roofs where people sunbaked before exposing themselves at Coney Island.

For your weekend viewing, an eclectic thread that looks at evolving rooftop life in our cities, here and elsewhere:

Fred Astaire might have started something here: seem to recall that rooftop driving ranges and mini-golf course are not that uncommon in Tokyo and elsewhere in Asia now:

At first sighting I thought this was New York too: then I noticed something familiar about that building in the background. Hotel rooftop pool in Melbourne by Artpunk, from flickr

This thread idea evolved from a late pick-up on the new rooftop cinema and bar on Melbourne's Curtin House in Swanston Street (see Theatre district's thread). It opened last November . Some more details on that follow these images

It's a New York idea: This was published before it started:

The new cinema, which will screen films via a digital projector, will seat 200 viewers in deckchairs on synthetic grass, and offer some of Melbourne's best views. They will also be able to have dinner and drinks as they watch a movie.

Arthouse and cult classics will be shown, with likely films the aforementioned Blade Runner, Sin City and Flashdance.

The cinema is the brainchild of Melbourne publisher Barrie Barton, a former national marketing manager at Moonlight Cinemas.

Mr Barton has been planning the cinema — which is currently under construction at a cost of almost $1 million — for more than three years.

"A friend in New York told me about this fantastic set-up, where a cinema screen travels to different rooftops around Manhattan," Mr Barton said.

"You get sent an email saying, 'This Saturday, it's on at a rooftop on Bleecker Street,' and you turn up."

picture by Michael Clayton-Jones:

and a bit more about it:
Australia’s first rooftop cinema is set to open in December 2006 on the sixth floor of the iconic Curtin House, Swanston Street, in the heart of Melbourne’s bustling CBD.
The open-air venue will feature comfortable seating on canvas deck chairs for 200 film buffs, thick plush synthetic grass and dark timber decking.
The exciting blend of cinema on show will include art house films, cult classics such as The Breakfast Club and Flashdance, and recent blockbusters such as Sin City.
A select number of mini film festivals have also been scheduled, including Superheros and Scallywags for the littlies, Bill Murrathon (a week’s worth of Bill Murray films), and for Melbourne’s skinny-jean-wearing aficionados, the Rock ‘n’ Roll Film Festival.
The rooftop terrace also includes a fully licensed bar/catering facility operated by Cookie, recent winner of Bar of the Year at the Australian Bartender Magazine Awards.
The Rooftop Cinema season will run until April. Tickets can be purchased at the Box Office on the sixth floor or via the website www.rooftopcinema.com.au from mid November. Full price adult tickets are $18.

Moving on ...Chicago's Mayor Richard Daley started something when he had this rooftop garden built on the top of Chicago's City Hall :

The urban development site I picked this up from stated that there are now more than 200 rooftop gardens on the top of Chicago buildings.

It's just a guess, but I think the rooftop garden on the 10 level podium at Melbourne's Freshwater Place may be Australia's largest:

and I think someone's faking up Chicago's rooftop golf credentials here

rooftop tennis is now pretty common. this is by Bourke Place in Melbourne ... photo by John Donegan

A rooftop wedding on an apartment building in Sydney's Kings Cross a few years ago ...snapshot quality by a guest named Bronte

Rooftop living pod in London's Dorking area

And lotus eaters at a rooftop spa and BBQ n Mooloolaba, Qld

redbaron_012 posted this a while ago on the marvelous and safe rooftop deck walk that once existed on top of NYC's late WTC tower

and...stretching the idea a bit ... Sydney's Harbour Bridge
walk almost qualifies for this emerging ant-life among our towers

rooftop in a cold climate

It was all a bit of an scratch for images. Anyone else got any offerings? Bronte

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I heard on the goldy news that the council is planning to make all developers put rooftop gardens on the new and old buildings

·
Registered
12,898 Posts
You know this controversy over the roof top (smokers) deck above Young and Jacksons !!! Mc. Donalds next door worry that butts, glasses etc will be tossed over onto their roof....Why not with the help of the city council put a continuous roof deck all the way from Flinders st. to the Nicholas Building. It could be landscaped..even lawns and trees with the beer garden area still above the hotel area..McDonalds could have their own courtyard above etc. Imagine in this pic the roof area lower right covered with deck and trees?

·
Premium Member
9,613 Posts
Some good pictures, if you ever see it, read a book called Roofworld, it is set in London and it is about a subculture of gangs that exist on the extensive roofs of London buildings.

·
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
You know this controversy over the roof top (smokers) deck above Young and Jacksons !!! Mc. Donalds next door worry that butts, glasses etc will be tossed over onto their roof....Why not with the help of the city council put a continuous roof deck all the way from Flinders st. to the Nicholas Building. It could be landscaped..even lawns and trees with the beer garden area still above the hotel area..McDonalds could have their own courtyard above etc. Imagine in this pic the roof area lower right covered with deck and trees?

Excellent idea Red: bit like one of my earlier enthusiasms for an extension of Federation Square over the platforms (but platforms only) of FSS, creating a new public precinct along the river..

And my goodness, five years in Tokyo and I forgot about the rooftop beer gardens of Shinjuku. Maybe because my focus tended to go like this ...(although this one's in Hiroshima).

I guess we do have a few rooftop beer gardens here, although one senses that the licensing and planning authorities show strange lack of faith in the good sense of Aussie drinkers ..

This guy, Vernon Chalker opened a rooftop garden at his Madam Brussels in Bourke Street last year - an apparent move ( promoted by Big Tobacco) to overcome smoking bans in pubs.

this picture by Craig Abrahams for The Age last year

and I meant to add in this: the fake-turfed rooftops of New York (I'm not sure if someone has not taken some greening liberties with this picture, which appeared in the context of an urban development debate on this subject)

·
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Martian view of rooftops

Basically reporting here that the Undead roam the rooftops of Melbourne.

Sensing this thread needs a lift, I decided to institute Plan 9, a step not taken lightly:

My agent in this matter: joed whom by day passes as an amiable office worker at 120C, where he slips secretly up to the rooftop, marking Earthling targets.

By night, joed inhabits the gothic spire atop the MU (Martian Undead) building

emerging in the fog of night

with his hulking assistant, Favco750

signs of life on Melbourne's rooftops have been carefully marked ... a tennis court, a rooftop pool through gratings

safe from prying eyes

entry points, roof tree cover

secluded apartments and courtyard behind E&Y, a skylight rooftop atop Collins Place, a good place for entry

patio

BBQ

don't go up there people , not even for a movie

the Undead are among us. They are among us, on the rooftops...

That's it. You've been warned.

Bronte

·
Registered
435 Posts
Hotel I stayed in at Bangkok had a resi building next door with a basketball court on the roof, imagine living under that, lol...

Oceans resort and hotel (new one) in Mooloolaba has roof terraces with spas and lap pools from the penthouses (I know cos I'm booked into one for my honey moon :) ).

·
Registered Abuser
2,904 Posts
You make me feel good Bronteboy, and not in the bad Mexican way!

·
Lord Melbourne
4,257 Posts
I like redbarons idea for that area of swanstone street. Gardens at different levels with stairways connecting them. Of course there'd be airconditioning units scattered around, but some good planning could hide those.

·
Registered
12,898 Posts
When I imagined the deck over all the buildings near Young and Jacksons I thought it could be on stilts above the existing rooftops so no expensive alterations to roof systems in place...also this way varying roof heights could be accomodated beneath a level deck. Although Drunkills idea of terraces over differnt levels would look good. Eventually on maybe it's first makeover??? All or some of those Federation Square roofs would look great as gardens with restaurants etc here and there.....Transit is a bit that way already?

·
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We interrupt this transmission for an important announcement. The Moderator General reports that the following URL was posted by Sqdn Ldr Archibomber on the Verve 501 band of the Melbourne forum at approx 1408 hrs Saturday inst. The report was followed by a period of static and silence.

All stations are required to report any further transmissions detected from Melbourne forum to Moderator General's HQ Sydney, effective immediately. East Coast Area stations are directed to stand by for further orders.

·
Its a sleepy little town
3,883 Posts
ha. This:

Is seen in Bronteboys pic here:

and this one is a child minding centre isnt it.. if i remember right

·
Registered
29 Posts
Gappa here Malt, Capn Cul ?

hello, hello ??...

can anyone read me ...?

hello ? Fark, who cares about the frigging child minding centre. Hello ...?

hello?

·
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Malt, are you getting that ? I think there's something seriously wrong down at the child minding centre ???

·
Registered
77,336 Posts
the roof of the peak apartment complex above Paddys markets could be largest rooftop area/garden ect. its 30m above ground and covers entire complex.
a new 8st in kent st is nearing compeltion. it has gardens/plants all over roof.
cool thread btw.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts