SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Hirise Piping Man
842 Posts
Well that was pretty vague !!!. I know that the antenna complex was in a redesign stage, and now SOM needs another year to work out design details, so i guess the question now is, what kind of design details would take another year to work out? I would try to speculate the scope of this work, by what has been done at the site, which is next to nothing other than very slow removal of the original parking structure, as of the last posted webcam photo, there is no foundation work going on at all. the structural system, cladding, core slip forming system, are all to be done of standard construction methods, maybe a design revision of the lattice system? but would that take a year to do? and the foundation system could be going in full bore, as the structure would not be subject to much of a tonnage difference. looking at this from the standpoint of my own skyscraper construction experience, I think what this may actually mean is a "design revision", and the lack of foundation work tells me that at least a couple of the "design details" being worked out must be major. (like for instance additional floors!!??)

·
Professional
764 Posts
if they are significantly rethinking even just the lattice work on top that could have big effects on the foundations regardless of how the weight is changing... considering the upper most portions of the building are going to be the ones more effected by direct wind force since they will be above the protection of neighboring buildings...

so changes in the top could very easily effect the details of the bottom

·
Hirise Piping Man
842 Posts
Architorture said:
if they are significantly rethinking even just the lattice work on top that could have big effects on the foundations regardless of how the weight is changing... considering the upper most portions of the building are going to be the ones more effected by direct wind force since they will be above the protection of neighboring buildings...

so changes in the top could very easily effect the details of the bottom

If in fact the latticework is being re engineered, the weight of the structure will not change significantly, also the foundation system is resting on solid bedrock. So i do not believe that the foundation system will be significantly changed from the current design, not to mention the lattice will have much less resistance to the wind becouse it will not be subject to the same forces that a solid curtainwall must sustain, I do agree that the upper portion will be above all neigboring buildings, but becouse of it's lack of cladding, the wind forces it will be subject to, would be similar to that of a high tension wire tower. (as the wind will past through it, the core's will be affected of course but not to the degree that a solid walled lattice would). But overall i believe the alterations that SOM are doing will be much more significant than a lattice redesign. (another year, and no work AT ALL at the site, tells me most if not all the structural aspects of this tower will be revised.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts