SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 1976 Posts

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This can also include LQA (or 'Uptown' as they're trying to market it)

Projects recently completed:
AVA Lower Queen Anne

Projects Under Construction
-One on top of the hill
-100 Republican (LQA)

Proposals
Metropolitan Market Site

Will flesh out later

·
Twinkie
733 Posts
I live in LQA! Calling it anything else raises my eyebrow.

Took this shot last month. Lots of little surface lots with infill opportunities! There was another land use sign posted on a lot across from the Safeway that currently has a house on it.
500 3rd Ave W

And just for fun: my favorite building in LQA - so elegant, I wish they built more of this style. Took this on my walk up the hill.
De la Mar

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
There are a bunch of similar (yet oh so different) buildings like that in LQA and up the hill. All seem to be built around the same time. Small but dense condos or apartments with a courtyard, and an attention to detail that puts architecture firmly in the realm of art. Generally stone and brick, and built to last forever.

·
Correspondent
8,276 Posts
There was another LUIB notice about a project on the corner of Queen Anne Ave. and Thomas, I believe. I'll try to fish it out.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Only in Manhattan are the terms "uptown" and "downtown" used properly as cardinal directions in a regional sense. Anywhere else, the term "uptown" just sounds unabashedly pretentious.

·
Buy used books
3,187 Posts
A Seattleite unabashedly pretentious? Shirley not. Having six or eight distinctly demarcated, recognized and named neighborhoods within the acreage of an average farm is just a part of our modest and understated worldclassness.

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
On the contrary, Seattle does neighborhoods right. Neighborhood sizes should be in an easily walkable scale, and they should have names and identities that are distinct. This builds a sense of place and community, and can define a primary street that concentrates growth.

For contrast, go to any suburban sprawl where all of the streets are the same. I'd much rather live in a place with neighborhoods.

·
Journeyman
16,484 Posts
Me too. No living in "kind of area north of 84th Avenue by K-Mart."

That said, I'll always use the old name when one exists. It's LQA all the way. I still say Denny Regrade sometimes...but Belltown is ok. It's just an expanded geography for an old name.

Of course, if you say "Regrade" then you have to include the former hill site. Denny Park, the Clise land, etc. Belltown stops at 6th in my opinion, or whatever demarcation you use for the main developed area.

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
^^South Lake Union is only meant to be a small section of the cascade neighborhood (or do I have that backwards?)

edit: Wikipedia tells me I do... I recant my previous statement. For reference, east SLU is "Cascade"

·
Registered
9,311 Posts
^^South Lake Union is only meant to be a small section of the cascade neighborhood (or do I have that backwards?)

edit: Wikipedia tells me I do... I recant my previous statement. For reference, east SLU is "Cascade"
Cascade is a small residential portion of the overall SLU neighborhood. I define SLU as I-5 to Aurora, Denny to Aloha.

·
Journeyman
16,484 Posts
Cascade is between Fairview, the Mercer ramp, I-5, and Denny, or was during my Commons days. I agree with Jim on SLU though Aloha is negotiable.

·
Registered
9,311 Posts
Cascade is between Fairview, the Mercer ramp, I-5, and Denny, or was during my Commons days. I agree with Jim on SLU though Aloha is negotiable.
The SLU height reconsideration actually got even further north (to Galer). But seems the major residential at this time ends around Aloha.

·
Journeyman
16,484 Posts
I think 101 Taylor N probably counts as LQA...it'll be SLU once Aurora is crossable...

The 258-unit, 9-story apartment project has a slight potential sign of activity. Just some orange pylons and caution tape in one corner. Could be nothing, or could be where they plan to stick some fencing and a jobsite office soon.

In another thread, someone suggested that the tunnel project would be a difficulty. But this is just two levels below grade, and they've paid DPD a lot of money lately, six figures. Probably not a big issue, or they've accounted for it.

Speaking of that, they applied for a building permit at Christmas, and have gotten most of the reviews needed for its approval, including some on Thursday. More tellingly perhaps, they got a temporary dewatering permit a month ago.

·
Journeyman
16,484 Posts
The Broad/Denny/Aurora triangle really doesn't fit any area functionally. This topic is always subjective, aside from organizations that divide things for their own purposes.

1 - 20 of 1976 Posts